A/C to Non A/C trade?

Kermit

Reaction score
I want to remove the a/c compressor from my 79 Aspen 318 factory air car. I noticed when I tried this, that the a/c and alternator brackets are one in the same. Is there any market for the factory a.c. stuff? Would anyone be interested in swapping my a.c. for your non a.c. parts? This is my daily driver, so I would need your parts first.

I'm aware that this thread probably belongs in the for sale/wanted section. I just thought I might reach more people in here. I wont be offended if it needs to be moved.

Located in Las Vegas for anyone seriously interested.

Thanks
Jared

IMG_20180303_100439_330.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
Jared -- are you really planning on sweating to the oldies in your ride?
Doesn't vegas get hot? lol

All my vehicles have a/c so I can't help you with a different bracket.

JW

Kermit

Reaction score
Jared -- are you really planning on sweating to the oldies in your ride?
Doesn't vegas get hot? lol

All my vehicles have a/c so I can't help you with a different bracket.

JW

It does get hot, but everywhere other than my car has a/c. I'm also not willing to sink the $$$ into restoring the whole system.

Motorhead80R/T

Reaction score
Why do you need to do a complete restore on the a/c? Just do whats called a dirty retro,, change the a/c oil to pag oil,,add the 134 fittings and recharge with 80% of the gas and your back cool, We done that for many moons with little to no problems

Kermit

Reaction score
Needs a new compressor,clutch, lines, condenser, blower motor and of course a receiver dryer. There is no quick repair, 40 years in the desert and the entire system is shot.
Why do you need to do a complete restore on the a/c? Just do whats called a dirty retro,, change the a/c oil to pag oil,,add the 134 fittings and recharge with 80% of the gas and your back cool, We done that for many moons with little to no problems

Motorhead80R/T

Reaction score
AAW I would expect those problems here in upstate New York,, But ,I always heard the desert didn`t eat up cars like our salt does.

Kermit

Reaction score
AAW I would expect those problems here in upstate New York,, But ,I always heard the desert didn`t eat up cars like our salt does.
This thing is rust free for sure! But every piece of rubber and plastic is basically rotted. The a.c. repair guy showed me the massive leaks at the hoses, and the dirt/scale/rust inside the system. I'm poor, and I live at an apartment that does not allow you to work on your car. It would cost me about $1500 to get it repaired at a shop. That's almost double what I paid for the car.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Bummer --
But I know what you mean about a/c being everywhere.

My difference here is that places I go are between 25 and 114 miles one way and thats a lot of heat in my car.

So you are removing the parts to reduce the weight?

BudW would know about the bracketing and Jim would probably know as well.

You might put a listing in the 'WANTED' forum for parts and ask for your bracket there. You'll get other eyeballs that could be helpful. I could swear I've seen this topic on here before. Let me search again.

JW

Justwondering

Reaction score
and look at this post:
318 A/C Removal

#3 and #4 gives good info:
quote from #4
i just did this when i put in my 360 from 318,your pulley will work, but you need to keep your bigbracket off your ac so you can bolt your alternator back through it to keep your spacing, just take a diegrinder or something and cut the big bracket down to keep it kinda looking stock,or else it will be to tall and doesnt look good, not a big problem to take it off, i took off lines and cooler and everything i could, looks alot better, i cruise with window down, so i dont use ac, isnt that what cruising is all about? hope i could finally help somebody cause i get alot of help here.
unquote

Kermit

Reaction score
and look at this post:
318 A/C Removal

#3 and #4 gives good info:
quote from #4
i just did this when i put in my 360 from 318,your pulley will work, but you need to keep your bigbracket off your ac so you can bolt your alternator back through it to keep your spacing, just take a diegrinder or something and cut the big bracket down to keep it kinda looking stock,or else it will be to tall and doesnt look good, not a big problem to take it off, i took off lines and cooler and everything i could, looks alot better, i cruise with window down, so i dont use ac, isnt that what cruising is all about? hope i could finally help somebody cause i get alot of help here.
unquote

I tried this, but my water pump has multiple fins on it, and the belt touches them. I have heard to just grind down the fins on the pump, but I'm not really keen on that. I shoot BudW a pm.

Back