A modified 6

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I get a kick from the opinions here that the slant 6 isn't worth modifying or even that a set of headers is a waste on a stock or mild build when for years they have been the first modification to a vehicle.
So here's to fabricated formulas, 8.25 performance axles and things that aren't worth doing.

What is that a 44 percent increase in rwhp, amazing!

Engine Power Sweet Slant Six 1971 Plymouth Duster Long Block Combos SUM-CSUMEPSSS001

Last edited:

Opticon77

Reaction score
Well it WAS worn way the hell out. What were they new 100hp? Not sure an extra 32hp was worth all that carb/intake/header coin.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Thats wheel horse power, a hundred at the crank is lucky to be seventy five at the wheels.
Apple's to Apple's, that 132 is closer to 160 at the crank.

Going after the power is worth doing but maybe the vehicle isn't worth the effort.

I've seen these mods done to A, B, F body's and trucks.
I think the modified 6 is cool.

Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
Cool deal regardless! One thing i noticed , what was the deal with the nice wheels and crappy lug nuts.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Two different bolt patterns also. They should have swapped the axles.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've got more modified 6s for you.

Last edited:

Opticon77

Reaction score
THERE we go. MPFI and boost. That fixes all kinds of stuff and allows you to at least keep up with a new V6 Camry to boot.

Duke5A

Reaction score
People don't, or at least I don't poo-poo /6's because of a V8 bias. When someone asks about modifying it's important to understand what their goals are. Nothing sucks more in this hobby to do a build and realize after the time and money are spent that expectations aren't being met.

I'm keeping the I6 in my Ford because I want something different and I plan on boosting it. Boost makes up for a lack of cubes and flow. The trick is keeping it all together.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
In the first build I would expect that with reasonable driving it would equal or exceed stock mpg.
For me I'm a 440 fan but not a 383/400 fan even though you can build the same size stroker motors with less parasitic power loss.
I've also been a inline 6 fan for years, yes I've held them to a deferant performance perspective than the bigger v8s but they have a cool factor the v8 can't touch.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I love /6s but they dont get the hate like a 318 does, a 318 build ranks with breaking a broom stick in half and sticking it up ones own ass it seems from most. And no one wants the broke broom stick action.

Im gathering parts for a 6 build but not in the conventional way, I cant say more than that, too many copy cats in the world today.

I think some would rather go the CMS route vs a teener build.

Nice postings on the /s!

Opticon77

Reaction score
Well that was graphic... Now I have to bore sleeve a 360 down to 318 just to spite you.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Sorry a bit off track.

Well that was graphic... Now I have to bore sleeve a 360 down to 318 just to spite you.

No OPT, that wasnt a dig on 318 builds ive done two in the last year and have had great results. My point was even on here and as well other site when people bring up a 318 build it goes directly to "If your smart you will be doing a 360" when they were asking about a 318.

Ive done a 318 equal in higher compression and heads to a 340 and at .040 over its like a 326 inch ( I forget) and runs like or better then most 340-s and the other was using oem forged low comp pistons with a offset ground 273 steel crank to put them at zero deck, aftermarket light rods at 339 cubic inches.

So back to the six, its not a top secret deal but ive seen so many cobbled up turbo 318 builds so im collecting parts to build a turbo V6 3.9 magnum since it will bolt to a 904 or 727 and most everything any small block will and the extra room up front for a single or two small twin spinners will make it much easierer and cleaner. I bought a set of the china v8 turbo manifolds off ebay and it will be very simple to remove the front ex tube and have them still look good.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I haven't seen a 3.9 build turbo or na in twenty five years.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Old Iron, I got the core from a early 2bbl v6 dakota a guy on CL was parting.

Im hoping the balance job with the new pistons/rods works out ok, I am really not fond of the crank design but its the same as the 4.3 v6 chevy I think and a friend used to use them in some sort of his altered dirt track car with good results, abuse and high rpm.

With the bore being as a 318 ive some nice trw low comp replacement pistons that are very boost friendly.

I also bought some reman heads off ebay from a good reman place and took them apart to clean them up a bit and the reman place looks to of done a good job. I will probably put better quality valves in them and have a new oem replacement hydro roller cam reground.

Im thinking a easy build that could produce a good amount of tq under boost could still be a easy driver combo. Sure not as fast as a turbo v8 small block but I think a good combo of different and fun.

For the moment im going to try a oem, 2bbl factory intake cleaned up a bit with a high cfm dirt track 2bbl carb and if that dont work out ive a line on a old B@M intake that was for there lil supercharger kit that a top plate could be fabbed and used with a 4bbl.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Back in 1990 or so one of the local mopar guys took a stock intake and did some machining and welded a 4v flange on on the stock intake. But I'm thinking that with boost it is less of an issue. I would still give the heads the same treatment as the 318 heads, unshrouding etc.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
One thing I was going to do with my 289 is start with a higher cr, 10.0 to 1 was the number and use e85 for fuel, this would give power off idle before boost then bring boost in as fast as possible but limit it .

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The thing I couldn't understand about the 3.9 Dakota was my 89 only got 16 mpg with 70 percent highway miles. One of the vehicles in my fleet at that time was a Ford E150 club wagon with a 351 fully loaded and I could run that for the week and get 20 mpg compared to the 16 from the Dakota. I bought the Dakota as a carry over new in 90 and only had it 12 months because of many reasons but it was nice to drive.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Maybe the dakota just taxed the 3.9 too much which resulted in the bad mpg.

I had not thought of the old 2 to 4bll adapter, I know the bolt on ones are still around.

2bbl to 4bbl adapter | eBay

To a point with a turbo if restriction is a problem just add more boost in a street light strip application. Ive a good bit of hands on turbo use but its been many many years ago but its something im looking forward to doing.

Back