A nice day for carburetion

QubusLewis

Reaction score
Hi y'all. I have been lurking all over online looking for a decent carb replacement for my 79 volare. I have a super six intake so a 2bbl is definitely on my mind. Lots of forums say diff things, but y'all here have never let me down!

I'm sure this road had been gone down many times (sorry i am a noob) but i am looking for advice on what to throw in to replace the carter.

What have you done?
What works?
What to avoid?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can find a 318 or /6 Carter BBD from ’70 to ’79 (non-Lean Burn), you are set.

If you find one, post a link here and we can give thumbs up (or not).

There should be a tag or stamped somewhere on it as to a carb number (ie: 8123s). If you find a tag or stampings (not cast, but actual stamp marks), I can tell you exactly what the Carter carb came off of, in question.

The only real difference between a 318 version and /6 is two small holes drilled in the choke plate (which is a quick easy way to tell the two apart).

I found a new BBD Chinese knockoff, a few years ago, to install on my ’86 5th Ave (to replace it's Lean Burn Holley 6280).
BudW

QubusLewis

Reaction score
How are the Chinese knockoffs?? I see them on ebay for a very affordable price compared to other options.

My cousin is telling me to spring for a holley 2300 350cfm, but if a carter will give me similar results i might just save the loot for other upgrades.

My current carter seems to be pre lean burn as well. Maybe it can be resurrected!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My current carter seems to be pre lean burn as well. Maybe it can be resurrected!
As long as the throttle valve opens fully without any spots of hanging up, then yes, it should be able to be rebuilt.

I have the “Chinese knockoff” on my ’86 5th Ave, and had put 50k miles on it without any problems. Note: I suspect they are from China – but in reality, I have no idea.
I do know there is no mention of “Carter” anywhere on them.
Sense Carter has been out of business sense ’84, I suspect the patent’s had expired as well.

Now to get a “Chinese knockoff” to make a version of the early TQ's.

Note: the 318 and /6 BBD is a direct bolt on.
The Holley 2300, most likely is not a direct bolt on. Well, take that back, it might be, but I doubt it.
BudW

Back