A833 in a F body lenght

benjamin acevedo

Reaction score
Hi , someone knows what is the the length of the tailshaft in an A833 OD transmission slant six ? , i have got a whole set up , transmission , slant six bellhousing , flywheel , clutch , fork , throwout bearing , starter , shifter rods and Hurst shifter , i was told that came in a 78 Dodge Aspen slant six , mine seems it is the long tailshaft , my doubt it is because has two mounting points for the shifter but i am not sure , can someone send some of light to me about it ? i want to make the automatic to 4 speed conversion , thanks in advance . Ben.

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
If it came from a 78 Aspen and wasn't replaced by one from a truck,
then it will fit your car.
I have never seen a short shaft 833 OD with 2 shifter mounting areas.
Only the long tail shaft generally from 80s Dodge Trucks.Speaking of the 833 ODs only.

I will measure mine to make sure you have the right one.
or you can post a pic and I will know it by sight.

benjamin acevedo

Reaction score
hi Le Baron , i have posted 3 pictures of the tranny , i have asking with some mopar folks and seems that , yes , it was removed from a D100 truck or B100 van , i have checked too brewers performance and seems that they dont have for sale a short shaft with two mounting areas for F bodies , the guy that i made the deal lie to me , anyway thanks for your interest.

DSCN5226.JPG

DSCN5229.JPG

DSCN5228.JPG

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
Brewers does sale a short shaft tail shaft and housing to convert one of these to a short shaft,
If you want to go to that expense?

I don't know if you can just run a shorter drive shaft, seems like the pitch would be off.
But that can be corrected with angle shims, like they use when they lift a 4x4.

The main thing would be if the shifter came up in the same spot through the hump.

If it was me, I would just sell that one and keep looking for a short shaft trans.

When I gathered my standard trans swap together, I had to source it from many areas.

Back