A999 torque converter - lock up

Camtron

Reaction score
Do any of you happen to know of a torque converter that will work in an A999 with lock up?
Everything I come across online is for non lock up 727 or 904, switching to one of the two isn’t in the cards right now.
Went to leave for my lunch break and my starter wouldn’t catch, turned the engine a little with a ratchet and it caught and fired right up.
Unfortunately a lot of shops around me have been negatively impacted the last couple months. Our local engine builder and the local torque converter rebuild shop are both gone and just memories now.

Aspen500

Reaction score
It'll have to be from a lock up A999 or 904 to work with a lock up trans. Has to be from the same engine (318 OR 360). You can modify the trans to accept a non lock up but it involves a different input shaft, pump and also main control valve body IIRC.
Other option is have the ring gear replaced on your existing converter IF you can find a place that can do it that is.

Camtron

Reaction score
So, so long as it’s a lock up for a 904 variation with lock up, I’m solid? That will for sure make it a little easier.
Thanks for the help, @Aspen500. I was already planning on a trans rebuild in the next couple weeks, wasn’t planning on the torque converter; because I’m cheap, lol. Life has away for hurrying things along some times.
I am however getting to a point where I’m ready to pick up a new daily. I’m getting to tired/worn out/old/lazy to keep trying to hurry projects along on the car without leaving it out of commission for more than a weekend...

Any recommendations on a second ride from your expertise/experience at the dealerships?

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
I'll have to find it again, but Oregon Performance Transmission (I think that's the company name) actually lists a high stall lockup 904 variant converter on their website.

Don't blame you on the new daily idea..ive gotten more work done since parking my Diplomat from daily service. Don't find something you love though, it'll be hard to get the motivation to drive the "toy" moving forward. Im currently in that stage thanks to my truck..ha

Camtron

Reaction score
Unfortunate timing/luck for me.

B845B628-B489-4002-BA7B-925718E9D21D.jpeg

Aspen500

Reaction score
As for a second ride, all depends on what you want to drive and, most important, how much you have to spend. At any rate, I'd stay away from anything made in Europe. The cars are OK until they need maintenance or repair and then sticker shock becomes a huge issue, along with potential long waits for parts if they have to come across the pond. Most GM vehicles in all honesty, are not that good (all bias aside). They have SO many common problems and failures compared to other makes and the electrical and electronic systems are a joke, going by what we see at work. Chrysler products are hit and miss, depending on year and model. Some are excellent, others not so much. The Daimler years are iffy for example. Never buy any Mopar with a 2.7L, 3.7L or 4.7L. With those engines it's not a matter of IF they'll have a catastrophic failure, it's more a matter of WHEN. Stay away also from any car with a dual-clutch auto trans. Herky-jerky and failure prone (no matter the make) and when the fail, there's not really much fixing "in the field". Same goes for cars with CVT trans. Most Ford's are good (love my '08 Mustang summer DD) for the most part. The newer Fiesta not so much (DSG trans again). The Dart seems OK, provided it has the 2.4L and manual trans. the 6 speed auto is,,,,,,,,,,,the dreaded DSG (which are an automatically shifted manual trans with an automatic clutch or clutches). the dual wet clutch ones are much better than the single dry clutch versions (like the Fiesta and Focus have) which are complete JUNK. If you don't mind Asian, I've noticed Subaru's are darn good cars surprisingly enough. Older ones only need head gaskets(start leaking oil) and timing belt every 100,000 miles (neither of which are that big a job on the flat 4) but other wise, they are fairly trouble free unless grossly neglected. That's just a short overview from what we see at the shop everyday, day in, day out, never ending, one after the other.............aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm OK now:D

As with any car, rust can be an issue depending on where you live and some rust worse than others. Chargers like to rot the 1/4's out, and RAM trucks LOVE to rot the box sides out in about 4 or 5 years, Silverado's even sooner than that, Chevy Equinox's have the vanishing lower front fender and rear wheel opening disease, Nissans' have a proclivity to have the front floor pans disappear into the time/space portal. Well, that's enough babbling.

Wonder why that Oregon place doesn't know if the ring gear is included or not? I've never seen a Mopar converter (aside from some newer vehicles that is) that didn't have the ring gear welded on. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Camtron

Reaction score
Man, that is some solid info. Thanks again, @Aspen500. I do like 90s and early 2000s Subarus, lol.
Had two more trans/torque converter places tell me they don’t/won’t have anything available and 4th place tell me they won’t attempt to help until I have the torque converter out of the car and can give them the #s off it (understandably enough).
Fortunately, I’ve been lucky enough to not have to bar the engine over today (small victory) to get the car to start.
Going to go check out a 98 Ram van tomorrow. From what I understand the frame and brake lines are rusted out, but the drivetrain is still solid. Let’s hope he’s not yanking my chain.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I see Napa lists converters. Now I see why they need the number off the old one. There's a couple choices for the lock up 904. I don't remember what car you have so I just used '83 Diplomat as a car.

They are all listed as out of stock for ship to home. Whether the store can order it in or not, is unknown.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?input-q=5.2+L+318+CID+V8&q=N=2500008+2600805+2803943+10198300+5002000+5002200+200200180+402002000+599999900&Nty=1&Score=1&text=torque+converter&indices=UI&keywordInput=torque+converter&referer=nol-veh-conds

Advance Auto has the same brand but doesn't say one way or another if available right now or not. Two listed, two different stall speeds (1900-2400 and 1700-2100)

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
Torco looks like a possibility, at least seem to have inventory listed still.
I have an 89 Fifth Ave. I posted my vin tag once and, @BudW had noted my car should be equipped with an A999 with lock up. So with that, far as I can find online, for the time period it should take a 26 spline shaft and have a 122 teeth ring gear and be something like 10 3/4” diameter with like a 1,200 stall from factory.
I have no clue and have been avoiding dropping the trans to find out. If one of you knows enough about 1989 torqueflight transmissions to point me in the right direction, that would be neat, lol.
I’ll get ahold of Torco and see what they say. Going to look at that van tomorrow. If it checks out, I’ll just swap the trans and get a driveshaft made up; supposed to only have 90k miles with a service record. Fortunately we still have driveline shops around.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
When you're dealing with 30 year old cars a lot could have happened over the years. Who's to say the transmission wasn't already changed at some point. Then again you'd think they could have at least used the transmission number and not have to see the torque converter.
If the one shop didn't know if it came with the starter ring or not they should also know to replace it or who could. It might be worth talking to them again.
For a second ride recommendations all depend on what you're looking for. Nothing wrong with crown vics. They're the modern day M. Or 300/Charger if you want to spend more money or stick with Dodge. Hemis are a lot more fun then 4.6 too.

Camtron

Reaction score
Oh, my car came with service records/purchase history and I’ve paid for its carfax. Original drivetrain and still under 100k miles.
Going to go meet with an Elderly couple, Bill and Jo and check out their ram van. Has a 5.9 and 2wd trans. One of the frame rails has rusted out a second time ( it’s been welded once before) and a brake line is ruptured, but the Drivetrain is still solid with 90,xxx on the odometer and service receipts. They had a listed for offers on CL before sending it to be crushed. Offered $500, they only want $400 and for me to have it towed. Hopefully it works out. I wouldn’t mind ditching the 3spd granny tranny.

Camtron

Reaction score
I did get ahold of Torco, they have Torque converters available but again advise pulling the converter to get the number. Having the year, model and numbers off the side of the trans case don’t get them the info they need for the torque converter. It kinda feels like being at Autozone and their asking if it’s 2x4 or 4x4 when I’m asking about a lightbulb. What do I know, they’re the experts.

Camtron

Reaction score
Van was legit. Tow truck is picking it up in the morning and Dropping it off. Couple seemed to be preparing for the end of their road. Very sweet and polite. Couldn’t thank them enough. Will get the trans swapped into the car in no time.

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
Now to get this stripped and out of my driveway, lol.

94EFBC27-06EF-4DFC-81F8-5705B47894A9.jpeg

67E62E17-7EF9-4BF5-9E0C-4BC246AF08A4.jpeg

Camtron

Reaction score
Sweet! Swapping the 5.9L too?
Yes sir. The reality of how expensive it will be to complete building a big block/transmission/rear ended has definitely set in slowed the progress on stroking my 383, though I did have the block inspected to make sure it’s a good builder (it is). So I’ll make a stop and play with the Magnum drivetrain for awhile. Can’t beat it for $650 with tow.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's got a Dana in it that can be converted to car use.

Back