About my idea of a 360 Aspen

Kaitsu

Reaction score
I´m building up a -74 LA 360 and was thinking if I´d put on a lock-up converter, A727 and swap the rear end from 8 1/4 to 8 3/4 sure- grip. How does this sound to the ear of more experienced moparist?

I´m making my final exam on car mechanics program and would like to know what kind of a car I´m getting with this kind of setup? The car should be able to use on street and highway so I could go for the most heaviest ratio at rear end, theres no need to make car burn rubber or start wheeling.

Thanks for answers!

slant6billy

Reaction score
How much power are you looking to run? If you are going to run under 400 ponies, the 8 1/4 will be fine and less weight over your choice of an 8 3/4. Rear end ratio and tire size? A normal tire that is close to stock does not need a real aggressive gear so below a 4:11. If you start getting bigger tires like a 27 inch tall and bigger, start thinking 4:11 or bigger to spin those big rollers. There are calculators out there to figure final drive based off your trans gear. As for your lock up converter trans, if you go that route, you are limited with the power and options. A non lock up would handle more aggressive power. Sounds like a decent project, but consider those variables in your build. I have an erasable marker board that allows my mad scientist thinking a canvass to draw things out. Hope that helps and put a real good timing chain on that 360. My brother shredded his 73's timing gear going to 4:11.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
I now have original 4- barrel carb and intake manifold and now talking to my dealer about performer cam with O-ring chain. He said it won´t harm anyone to be safe than sorry. I´m not trying not to take all I can out of my new engine, but just so that It´t outrun any of the japanese and german cars you see on the road today when the lights turn green.

I guess going heavy on the rear takes points off the acceleration, but I guess I still need to think about rear axle options. I don´t know my current ratio but will find out.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
It's gonna take a lot to outrun "any" of the new jap/german cars. There are many new cars in the 13's these days.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
I didn´t mean these assembly- line fast Skylines and Evos and Audi TTs but these cars that normally you see on the streets.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Me?
I wouldn't bother with the 360.
Sell it as a boat anchor.

I'd be going 408 or 400 for the bore/stroke in the old school department.
But these days a Gen 3 Hemi are a easy find/ lots of parts, no problem with todays gas.

A cruiser option I have seen is the Pentastar V6.
You can get 300HP out of them easy.
So....how much is the 360 going to do on a good day?
Runs on today's gas and parts are plentiful.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Or just buy this guys set up.
http://www.aspenandvolare.com/showt...other-project-New-turbo-392-motor-for-the-R-T
Panther 360 crate motor and custom built 727 trans with 2,800 stall will be pulled by Big 3 Racing in Hinkley, Ohio when they do the Turbo 392 Hemi swap.

Motor and drivetrain only have 1,254 miles.

Let me know if you have any questions or need additional photos. We can workout if it is to be shipped from B3 or if you want to pick it up.

I can be reached by PM or email me at koehler@ppg.com

Everything is included in the $3,500 sale, 100% turnkey:

360 crate motor
Pulley / belts
R134a converted AC
All front pulley/accessory brackets
MP black valve covers
PS unit
Brand new 100A alt.
Edelbrock RPM air gap intake
Edelbrock 600 CFM electric choke barb
MSD wires, pro billet distributor and blaster coil
Plug wire heat boots
Long tube headers
Built 727 trans
2,800 stall converter

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Baron, it was my dream to have a hemi in my Dodge. Only thing here is that if the car has been manufactured in Super Six, 318 and 360 small blocks, you cannot have it street legal in Finland or then you would have to register vehicle as "privately manufactured", and that means building 3 identical cars and make the current standards, such as emissions, crash tests and acceleration-stopping tests. Basically that´s impossible without some credit debt. That´s why I´m going for LA 360, to avoid all the hassle and trouble.
Same things go for Harley Davidsons: you cannot change fork angles, tire sizes or make a solid frame without concretic proves that the vehicle is safe to drive and handle:/

tim berry

Reaction score
I think it gonna be cheaper for him to source the parts and put it together there than than buy what's for sale on that site ( although a great deal and if you look at what he's got for his ac set up that compressor is the answer to the intake issues ,you can run any intake you want ) good luck with your build put up some photos

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Yeah, that´s the situation indeed. We were told to self- search and compare parts that could/would/should fit or not. The engine I´ve got is now getting milled, and the current plan is to change original 8 1/4 axle, A904 trans and 318 (4 BBL Carb)to the setup I´ve mentioned above. The engine is otherwise stock, only performer cam and valve springs are changed from OEM parts. I´ve got reconditioned 100 amp alternator, only need the original bracket from some fleet vehicles V8 to mount it and my new (china made) AC compressor to the block.

By the way: if my current engine is made on 1980, will the bracket holes on the block change if my 360 is from 1974?

slant6billy

Reaction score
Your 360 should be no different, but the block stamp is not going to be date correct. Are your officials going to care? I've heard some countries get bent on details. I heard California gets bent on details like that, but I've only visited. Thankfully my state did a cost analysis of vehicle inspections an saw they lost money going after worn wiperblades and other ridiculous shit. Now, they only plug into OBD2 and watch the catalytic converter through an in the floor camera. Pre OBD2 cars get the sniff pipe test as the tester revs the car in "Park" or Neutral - so it is not under load. I call it a big "check in the box" for getting those green EPA dollars from the government.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Nah, They care more of the chassis number to see if its stolen. I asked my MOT engineer about if you can street legally install supercharger or NOS- systems. He said that all kinds of after- installed powerhouses must not be plugged in. So they can be there, but you must remove the drive belt or turn off NOS valve. Thank god we got out of government monopoly MOTs so now these younger private MOT- office inspectors can watch things thru their hands.

Back