Aftermarket floor shift options

Transmissions and Rear Ends

1. brotherGood

brotherGood Well-Known Member

Are there any good options for an aftermarket floor shift? I'd love buckets and console, but I really dont see that in my future.

Also, what all is needed for adding floor shift to a column shift car?

Thanks in advance

2. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

Center consoles/shifters were installed in F and J-bodies, and in a few M 2-door cars. The ’84 Gran Fury police car I had, should have the same seats you have, and that car had plenty of space for a console. Finding a good complete FMJ console might be a bit fun but I do see them for sale from time to time – but that isn’t the question at hand.

If using factory parts – the linkages from transmission to the shifter is about the same on all ’66 and newer ABCEFMJ cars except for the shifter itself (which has a few variations over the years).
    77 PM pg 21a-44a.JPG
    From my '77 Parts Manual for F-body (above and below floorboard). Arrow is pointing front.
    73 PM pg 21a-566b.JPG
    From my '73 Parts Manual for A-body. Gold is a rough outline of transmission.
    The issue is the interior shifter parts looks really odd without a console to cover said parts.

I know an A-body console will fit (as well as FMJ consoles).
    I suspect the E-body and newer/older B-body consoles will as well – but not tried. I think the E and early '70's B-body console looks much better than the FMJ version – but that is just me (which all parts for are being re-popped, for).
    BudW

brotherGood likes this.
  3. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

A '70-74 E-body / '71-74ish B-body console:
    E Console a.jpg
    E Console b.jpg
    E Shifter.jpg
    An older B-body shifter (for reference).
    Console Shifter Linkage.jpg
    About 2/3rd of the linkage (missing the transmission bracket, link to shift arm and its lever (and shifter)) and the welded in floor brackets inside (but can be screwed on).
    BudW

Edit, I re-read your post. I have no experience with aftermarket shifters - but have retrofitted quite a few cars to factory console shifters - so can't comment further to your inquiry.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    brotherGood likes this.
  4. M_Body_Coupe

M_Body_Coupe Well-Known Member

Alright...so you asked for Aftermarket, and that's what I'm going to put in front of you. The other guys did an awesome job reviewing the factory/stock options!

I went down the path of B&M QuickSilver ratchet shifter. Love it!!! Now keep in mind that's my only experience with aftermarket shifters, so there are probably plenty of other nice and better shifters, but for me this was about putting something in the car that did not look "race car" like and had as little of an impact as possible.

Keep in mind I did this while my coupe was completely stripped down, so plenty of room to do anything I wanted. Carpet was out, I did drill a slightly oversized hole in the floor, after taking the photo I did actually go back to put an one of these rubber rings over the openning to prevent the shift cable from getting cut. I am also running a line-lock, so there is the wiring going to the T-handle.

So here we go, tried to put these in somewhat of an order from START to FINISH.

ratcher_shifter_1.jpg

ratcher_shifter_2.jpg

These next two show you the reverse layout of the shifting cable and the throttle kcikdown cable. The RED cable is the gear selection cable. The steel line anchored to the trans case is the kickdown cable.

ratcher_shifter_3.jpg

ratcher_shifter_4.jpg

ratcher_shifter_5.jpg

ratcher_shifter_final.jpg

SuicideRider, brotherGood and Camtron like this.
  5. Camtron

Camtron Well-Known Member

Well done

6. brotherGood

@M_Body_Coupe I didnt even think to look up your build on. I used to go back and just follow it all the time on Farleys.

With the list getting a little out of hand, I put this on the back burner for this year. Although, now that it looks like the Power Tour may be in jeopardy, I may revisit this.

When it gets back together, I'm going to drive it around and if I feel I'm going to pop it out of gear while driving, I may do a temporary fix in either pulling the selector lever out and straightening it a bit, or just shortening it and putting some serious padding around it.

I would eventually like to go to a floor shift setup though, so I'll keep this bookmarked.

7. M_Body_Coupe

M_Body_Coupe Well-Known Member

If you need any more details, specific photos, etc. just let me know. I've got the whole build of my coupe thoroughly documented, so there is a pile more info on this stuff.

The key thing to keep in mind here is that, as best as I can tell, the gear selection cable switch that is part of the B&M shifter install may require you to also go down the route of Lokar throttle cable. That is what I did, but since I did not start with a stock setup to start off with this really was a non-issue for me. I had a clean-slate type of a situation and since I was already looking to run a higher heigh intake manifold I knew I had to depart from the stock setups anyways.

8. 80mirada

80mirada Well-Known Member

The B&M cable setup will clear most stock kickdown setups. That is how mine was setup

9. brotherGood

Ive considered the cable route anyway.. but had the 4bbl linkage that (for the most part) fit the magnum intake without any issues. At that point, I didnt know what I'd be gaining by switching setups.

I'll have to go back and look at the Farley pages, now that I'm much deeper into this thing than I was back then..maybe I'll see something that'll now make sense (or now allow me to ask an intelligent question )