Aftermarket gauges

88_AHB

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Was curious as to where you all are mounting your aftermarket gauges ? I was thinking of utilizing some of the 6 holes on my bezel for my dippy with auto meter gauges or equivalent.Still keeping the factory speedo and gas gauge,but wanting to have water temp,oil and either volt or A/F ratio in place of the dummy lights etc. Also find a fitting place to put a tachometer that doesnt destroy the dash or A pillar.I know F and M bodys instrument panels are different etc. but any advice,help pics would be appreciated.Thanks!

IMG_0128.jpg

Opticon77

Reaction score
I've seen the standard 2" Sunpro gauges fitted on the small holes on the left side.

16073308_large.jpg

Personally I'd try to find something more like Autometer's muscle series. But those are a little pricey...

ATM1202-lrg.jpg

88_AHB

Reaction score
Now did you reuse the housing behind that and gut it to mount those gauges? Or did you fab something up to make them sit behind the bezel like that or just slide them through.

Aspen500

Reaction score
JMO, I'd spend the extra money (if possible) for the Autometer Muscle Series gauges. They more or less match the original speedo and would look "stock".

Opticon77

Reaction score
Those gauges are bigger than the "chrome" ring on the stock trim piece. Cutting and aftermarket mounting would be required. To be clear that's not my car and I haven't done my dash swap/upgrade yet.

I think those sunpros are the ones that typically come in these sets...

41JAG9X51AL.jpg

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Gone are the days of a good Stewart Warner gauge. :(

I wonder if these modern day Sun gauges are the same junk they were 45 years ago?

Darth-Car

Reaction score
So they do still exist. I did not dive deep enough into the web site to see if they were still made in the USA.

Opticon77

Reaction score
Now owned by Actuant Corporation based out of Wisconsin. Their careers page looks like they have manufacturing positions available across 5 different facilities there and Minnesota. Good chance it's still quality stuff.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Years ago I was lured in with the bargain auto parts store stuff at first. $35 for a set of three gauges seemed like a lot of money. Then one day a good mechanic friend told me that I probably was not seeing the true story about my engine health with these gauges. He told me to go down town to this small automotive specialty electrical supply house and buy just one Stewart Warner gauge. Just the oil pressure gauge cost me $65! At that time I was shocked, but then I installed the thing and it showed I had fantastic oil pressure, and it actually moved as the engine rev'ed, and slowed. I eventually replaced all of my bargain gauges with the Stewart Warners. They were amazing!

Back