Air conditioning

The_Red_Baron

Reaction score
So, it has come to my attention that my compressor and one line are seeping. I know I can probably get a compressor, or even a rebuild kit.

When the ac was done a few summers ago, we had talked about getting fresh lines, but had a hard time finding anyone that remade them.

So, am I sol on the lines, or am I not looking hard enough?

The_Red_Baron

Reaction score
I know the system is low, on max ac after running for 30+ min, it only gets down to 80, when it got down to around 50 when it was first refilled. The compressor runs constantly, and it's actually starting to sound bad.

While I'm not too worried about ac right now (rust repair comes first), I'd like to have it either fixed, or a plan to fix it by next summer.

The_Red_Baron

Reaction score
if the hard sections of your lines are good, sometimes they can replace the hose sections
It's only seeping from just after the crimp, and it's actually bulging a little.

Yeah, I'll have to at least replace that one line and the compressor. I just don't want to do that, and then have another line give out in another year or two. If I decide to get it fixed, I'll have to bite the bullet and replace the two soft lines, and pray the hard lines don't decide that 40 years is long enough.

80mirada

Reaction score
the hard lines will last a long time , as long as they aren't physically damaged. The Air conditioning and radiator place back home used to replace the hoses instead of the whole line set all the time

Bills65Dart

Reaction score
This may be a very dumb suggestion, but is it possible to buy hoses by the foot, and fix the ends yourself ? I mean, is there a simple tool for that, like for brake pipes (just larger of course). I know extremely little about A/C in general, I don't even know the maximum pressure in an A/C system.

Bill

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The ends need to be crimped on, it's not something you can do fix yourself but it's pretty straight forward job for anyone that has the correct tools as long as your metal line ends are in good shape.

Back