Air Shock

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am after an air shock for my J Body Cordoba, does anyone have any or know what ones fit the Cordoba? eg will and 197X A body air shock fit an J body? I think 1988/1989 M bodies 5th Aves had them as stock??

Thanks
Bruce

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Not too long ago, RockAuto.com had a couple different brand of rear air shocks for FMJ's - but not today.

The question is if you converted the ISO clamps to the older shock plates, or left your rear suspension stock.
If stock, this is one option: Shock Absorber-Max-Air Air Rear Monroe MA750 | eBay
The FMJ design has an eye bushing for the top and a stud for the bottom.

If you converted to the older shock plates, then you have tons of options, for all A, B, C and E-body rear air shock setups will work.
The ABCE-bodys have a eye bushing for top and bottom.

I am not aware of any FMJ body (including '88-89 Fifth Ave's) coming factory with rear shocks or air leveling system. Some of the front wheel drive cars did come with it - but they are not compatible.
BudW

PS: how are you doing? It has been a long time sense I've seen you online!

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hey Bud,

I am floating around, but as my car is pretty much done I am not up to much on it, I want to try an air shock in one side to help give the car better straight line take off traction. This is what my car looks like underneath.

1633596052166.jpeg

Thanks
Bruce

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You do have the ISO clamps still in place (and using red urethane biscuits). It looks like the only air shocks that will fit (without major modification) will be the the Monroe Max MA750. It looks like this part is about to be discontinued . . . maybe.
BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Just curious.

Why not just put a good set of tires on the car. Im seeing a small single exhaust which might indicate your not putting out a huge amount of power.

Do you have a limited slip or are you one wheeling it? Basic shocks and a good set of the right tires normally handle a good amount of power.

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am after an air shock for my J Body Cordoba, does anyone have any or know what ones fit the Cordoba? eg will and 197X A body air shock fit an J body? I think 1988/1989 M bodies 5th Aves had them as stock?? Thanks Bruce

Duke5A

Reaction score
My Dad has a set he took out. Probably wouldn't ask anything for them. I can't remember if they're for B body or not. He did go to a solid axle mount. I'll find out.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The question is if you converted the ISO clamps to the older shock plates, or left your rear suspension stock.
If stock, this is one option: Shock Absorber-Max-Air Air Rear Monroe MA750 | eBay
The FMJ design has an eye bushing for the top and a stud for the bottom.

If you converted to the older shock plates, then you have tons of options, for all A, B, C and E-body rear air shock setups will work.
The ABCE-bodys have a eye bushing for top and bottom.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Just curious.

Why not just put a good set of tires on the car. Im seeing a small single exhaust which might indicate your not putting out a huge amount of power.

Do you have a limited slip or are you one wheeling it? Basic shocks and a good set of the right tires normally handle a good amount of power.
I have a pretty stock 360 magnum, EQ heads, air gap intake speedmaster79, 209/217 cam, headers, with a 600 holley,(yes could do being a bit bigger) rear end is an open 8.25" but I do need to get the LSD unit in it but don't know how yet, the exhaust is 2.25" from the headers to a single 2.5", I agree the 2.5" may have been better at 3" (tank big offset to one side so can't get duals on it) I do have a 221/224 roller cam and a 770 street avenger carb in my parts box :) Rear end is 3.23 ratio and gas is $10NZD a gallon

Bruceynz

Reaction score
What I do have is a really nice standard bore 360 magnum block, indy x heads with stock size titanium coats valves, mopar performance valve springs and retainers to allow for up to 600 lift, crank been ground 10/20 and stock pistons/rods plus my 221/224 .507/.533" lift on 110 LSA, 770 street avenger carb, so I do have the bits to build up another nice engine in my shed :)

Back