If I ever spend hours and hours --
selecting fabric
cutting fabric
sewing fabric
binding fabric
quilting fabric BY HAND
and gift you a quilt

And about 4 years later I find that same quilt in a bag in the dumpster

And you tell me its because its old and the colors are dated so you replaced it with some machine-made, chinese, india, caste-labor, unmatched seams, wonky looking quilt

And you didn't offer to give it back to me
or donate it to goodwill
or have it cleaned and hold onto it for the next generation

I will be Annoyed Beyond Belief even if it is Christmas.

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I have a feeling you are annoyed beyond belief and someone really did that to you.:eek: Not that I could ever make a quilt, but if I was in the same situation,,,,,,,I'd feel the exact same way.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Any effort that has your honed skills and patience is special. When given to others, it is a part of one's soul. People need to understand that efforts are just that, extensions of the human soul. I am not good with fabric, but I do understand the personal care one puts into making amazing things by hand. I'm similarly insulted when no one eats my cooking. I manage to slice a finger anytime I shred veggies to get the texture just right. I've got to find some takers for holiday leftovers that are ready to eat, like my 7 bean chili, spinach chicken Romano, Maryland crab cakes and my homemade stuffing (Made with peppered bacon). I sometimes rather cook than wrench on the mopar. Takes me 20 minutes to scrub the mopar grit and grime out of my fingers before I hit the kitchen. Efforts are definitely part of the soul. With the 20 degree weather we have been having here, a hand made quilt would be awesome.

droptop

Reaction score
My Mom and aunt made my wife and I a quilt as a wedding gift. Not having a lot of money at the time, we used it to keep warm on those cold winter nights. After a few short winters, it became ratted and torn from being used. We don’t use it anymore but it hangs on a quilt rack in our living room on display as a tribute to keep our family members that are no longer with us physically, in our thoughts. Homemade items that are made with love should be cherished. I can see and feel your sorrow.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I have a blanket that is knitted, given as a wedding present years ago. I will never give it up the wife is gone but not the blanket

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Well, personally id knit 100 and give all 100 away and if they all ended up in the dumpster at the end of the day and the world was round and life was grand, it would a small fee to pay in the big picture of life.

But in this case it seems someone has offended you, semi easy to figure out WHO it was.

I wear things 3x longer then most so id never toss, maybe fix.

Just make the guy a big batch of laxative cookies.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
My mom knits, crochets, and embroiders, since she was 8 years old (she is now 81). She crochets entire bedspreads and table cloths, and some take as long as 9 months to complete (she crochets using an extremely fine thread). What she does looks like lace to me, and she will give some of it away when somebody gets married, or there is a baby born. I honestly don't believe the patience that it takes. I know I would be very, very angry with somebody if they just casually threw any of that that away. My eyes are not even good enough to see all of the detail in what she makes, and she just does hours per day on whatever project she is making.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I have no problem if you use the crochet, knit, quilt made by hand.
It gets worn out from use.
And THEN you get rid of it -- toss it, use it for a dog bed, whatever.
Like xfBodyX says, in the grand scheme its not big deal.

What chaps my a$$ is when you throw away something that shows little if any wear at all. I can tell it was put on a shelf in the hallway and never used. Fabric is as clean and bright colored as the day it was given as a gift.

Bleh...

The Hunter S Thompsan saying "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW!" is the way I feel about my handwork.... Ah well.

I've been crocheting this past week in the down time wading through the last 3 business deals of the year and all the necessary computer work. Whew... makes me less crazy about nits like this.

Rant over.

JW

Demonracer

Reaction score
I have a quilt that was gifted to me over 40 years ago. hand sewn by my first mother in law. She was a very good person & I went to see her just before she past away. She asked about the quilt, I told her that I still had it & it resided on the bed in the guest room. Her eyes lit up & she couldn't believe that I still had it. She & I stayed in touch even after her daughter divorced me & we were good friends up until the end. R I P Stella B.

Back