Another f body raer swap q

CM360

Reaction score
Can I take my B body(66-69) 8 3/4 rear and weld a 1/4" plate to the leaf spring pad and just shift it over 1/4" to each side and make up the width difference 44"-44.46"? This will save me from cutting and rewelding new spring pads. This will raise the rear suspension 1/4". Doable and safe and strong? Eventually 600 SB power.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I do not recommend it. Back on my 76 a few years ago, I used a ratchet strap to pull the leaf springs towards each other. I used the isoclamp F body mounting plate. I just drilled the hole so the rear was set back. I notice recently on my current F coupe that there a rub marks on the inner quarters (non tubbed) The factory wheels had been riding some wide meaty tires and when the car would squat, there was rubbing. By adding the plate you mention you will get real close to the critical area of the inner 1/4. Plus by drilling the hole to set the rear back, you may be able to keep the stock drive shaft. I'm currently waiting to trash my 8 1/4 sure grip, to stuff my 8 3/4 741 case rear.

Back