Any small business or Gas station owners on here?

slant6billy

Reaction score
I've been eyeing up the last gas station in my town for a few months. It has been closed since the early summer. Me like my neighbors have to drive 15 minutes to get fuel for mowers and that can be made better, by opening this last station. I've not been a gas jockey in almost 20 plus years. I ran a gas station carwash back in the late 80s to the early 90s
IMG_20161119_143351.jpg

8 pumps, air, vacuums, vending machines, smokes, and Lottery tickets.
IMG_20161119_143143.jpg

With a bunch of suburbanites - just under 20 thousand and only a bus every once in a while, you have to drive to get anywhere and you have to have fuel to drive. I got to call about the lease this week

Justwondering

Reaction score
Had some friends in that business back when gas was double the cost now (7 years ago?).
Discipline...
Up front money drop to get initial supplies ...

They had 1 employee that was not diligent about setting money for the gas into the gas bank bag. Made them short for gas delivery guy cause they were pay as you go.
Then they found that the employee was also 'giving' friends credit by letting them gas up and 'pay later'.

But if you've done this before, nothing new to you I'm sure.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I've seen, heard, and witnessed the ugly side of business. Between incompetence, laziness, and criminal, it is par the course. I have to get a business plan written. One that states hiring Veterans and giving back to the community. At least that is the plan. We have a pretty large retirement community too- more possibility for employee options.

89.Fifth

Reaction score
I've seen, heard, and witnessed the ugly side of business. Between incompetence, laziness, and criminal, it is par the course. I have to get a business plan written. One that states hiring Veterans and giving back to the community. At least that is the plan. We have a pretty large retirement community too- more possibility for employee options.
You're a good man. My only suggestion would be to find your "gotta have it". The reason someone will go to you over everybody else, every time. Get creative and of course keep your costs low.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I used to write grants for universities seeking funding.
You are are the right track when looking for monies.
1. Write your plan so it 'scratches their itch'.
-- Hires vets
-- upgrades eyesore in community (planters with some flowers by the pay window)
-- income for seniors (economic stimulation)
-- good for ecology (shorter distance to travel for gas - less emissions in air)
-- tax revenue

2. Another possibility in the 'growing season' is to set aside a small area for a few tables for a small 'farmer's market' area. Brings fresh food/produce to the area once a week on Saturdays. Course I don't know what permits you need for that or existing setups you'd compete with.

3. Plan for a 'my ride show' twice a year -- smaller of course, but you could have a spring and fall event on a sunday evening or something.

4. Make sure you have a thorough inspection on the holding tanks. Fixing leaking tanks is expensive.

5. Check out several suppliers before you settle on your gas provider. In the town 25 miles away from me there are 3 suppliers. Walmart's personal slave, in-town oil distributer, and a distributer that serves this area but is 25 miles the other way (50 miles away).
Only 2 stations in town use the further distributer but they can easily match walmarts price. Everybody else uses the local oil distributer and are 5 to 8 cents higher on their price point.

6. Non-ethanol gas. There is only 1 supplier in town that provides it and he gets over a $1.00 a gallon premium for it.

7. Figure out how much money you can afford to lose before you start being profitable. When you hit that, shut it down. Hemorraging your retirement for 'what if it gets better tomorrow' is not a good strategy.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have to - but if I needed to, I will drive 20 miles to get non-ethanol gas and I'm sure others will, as well.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
There's no money in gas, it's the gas that brings in customers for chips, water, soda, smokes, lotto, ect.

Then the tanks, how old?, have they leaked before?, is there lead in the soil?, a whole EPA wonderland to make sure all is OK.

I had thought of a 'late 60's/early 70's diner' with a gas station selling 'hot rod' gas like non ethanol 93 and leaded Blue Flame 110.

Back