Anybody used this Z-alt oil before?

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score

Product Description

-ALT™ Muscle Car Oil is formulated specifically for maxiumum proctection & performance of pre-1975 gasoline powered cars and trucks. Contains NO CHLORINE, TEFLON OR SOLVENTS. Z-ALT™ Muscle Car Oil is a must for flat tappet cam engines.

Mass marketed oil companies constantly re-engineer their products for the latest engine applications which has left older vehicle engines without the essential detergents and anti-wear agents they need to operate properly. With ever tightening EPA regulations and catalytic converter damage related to zinc, ZDDP has been drastically reduced in modern oils.

77RTNJ

Reaction score
never used it but I know it is recommended that our cars use additives with ZDDP in it. STP oil treatment still has it in it and that is what I have been adding since I found out last year. Walmart has it for the lowest price.

Kevin

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Anwered ya on da "other" place
I copied it and pasted it for all....

I have been testing this Z-Alt oil in our lab since June of 2009, I must say I am impressed. I have ran an oil analysis testing lab for the last 14 years and have tested many different oils in the market for racing applications as well as diesel and industrial markets. One thing that got me really interested in this product was the fact I have a drag-race car that I run on the weekends and wanted to find an oil I could use to run my engine into the higher RPM's without being nervous at 150 mph @ 8.80 seconds.

I seen some interesting things with the Z-Alt oil when it comes to film strength and oxidation factors. I thought at first this was another Chlorine based product which scared me to death, but when tested, 0-ppm of Chlorine is present in this oil. I have seen many engine failures over the years due to Chlorine in oil additives. The long term effect these chlorine products have on bearings, oil galleries, pumps and more can cause major downtime failures for sure.

I ran 9 quarts of the Z-Alt oil in my drag car in early October at our final race of the season, after 8 times down the track I drained the oil and saved enough to run some test on. My wear metals numbers on FE, CR, PB and AL was very impressive compared to the other oil I ran previous in the season, a reduction was seen with the Z-Alt oil across the board. Also I noticed the oxidation was < 3.2 which proved to me the oil could withstand the heat I was putting to the engine durning the hard runs down the 1/4 mile.

Looking at the moly technology of the Z-Alt oil, I must say they found a way to make film strength that impressed our lab technicians and also proved to protect the moving parts of a high horse power engine. I hope in the future they offer other grades of oil for different applications for the street as well as diesel trucks.

Now, can somebody tell me where to get this oil besides their website? I only had 12 cans of the 20w50 and I cannot find a dealer in my area. I need to make sure and get some before March for racing season.

old tired rebel

Reaction score
Eric have you tried this yet? Looks to be what we are looking for in oil protection.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
i usually use stp oil treatment or motor honey.

Eric have you tried this yet? Looks to be what we are looking for in oil protection.
Watch the video guys...and remember almost everyone has their own preferences...not me though..I try to stay on the cutting edge...I think Napa sells it locally..I will let you know and yes I plan on giving it a try...

old tired rebel

Reaction score
Watch the video guys...and remember almost everyone has their own preferences...not me though..I try to stay on the cutting edge...I think Napa sells it locally..I will let you know and yes I plan on giving it a try...

Sounds like the perfect oil for our cars. I watched the video after reading what you posted it is impressive to say to least. Now if they come up with a whole car system that works that would be great.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I need to do an oil change on a recently acquired 1980 Cordoba. I changed the oil on my 1982 Mirada and just used the standard Penzoild 10W30. That car is not being driven (awaiting a windshield). I am going through the process of getting the Cordoba ready for use, as it possible to get this car to the point where I can register it (i.e. nothing to stop it passing safety inspection), and drive it. I am wondering whether or not an oil that has high ZDDP is necessary or not. Our cars are from the mid-1970s to mid-late 1980s, so they have flat tappet hydraulic lifters, but also have catalytic convertors. Is there a significant wear reduction in street driven cars between today's oils and the high ZDDP oil? The high ZDDP oil is a Lucas Oil product, and is labelled as Classic and Hotrod Motor Oil. I generally trust Lucas products, just can't really make up my mind if the oil (and extra cost) is necessary.

Kostas

Last edited:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
If I had a leaded era car, I'd be running Z-Alt.
Herb 'Mr 4-Speed' McCandless swears by it and doesn't make a dime off it.
And Baldwin oil filters.
Wix is a distant 2 and the rest suck.

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
If I understand you Dr. Lebaron, you are saying the ZDDP is more for lubricating the valve stems and valve seats vs. lubricating the valve lifters? I remember that there were concerns about valve seat recession and possilbe valve stem wear when leaded gas was discontinued. Is this what ZDDP primarily addresses? My 2 J Bodies are well into the unleaded era (started in 1976 with initial use of catalytic convertors), and they were specified to use unleaded gas, so shouldn't need the added ZDDP content?

Kostas

Erics5th

Reaction score
GM EOS is good stuff also. Know many Mopar guys who use it, especially for flat tappet cam break in. Have some waiting for when I do my cam swap. Go to Bobistheoilguy.com and see what they say about it, don't take my word for it. Diesel oil is also good to run in our non-roller cam engines. I personally use Mobil 15-40 in my 5th with a Purolator.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Without adding your quote Kostas, yes that's it.

Additives are crap.
Who says you are using the proper amount.
Does a 426 use the same amount as a 318?

When famous Mopar engine builders come to your house to play motors....I listen.

Erics5th

Reaction score
Thats nice. I listen to what people who know about engines do also.

kkritsilas, ZDDP is zinc that is in the oil to protect moving parts, specifically flat tappet cam's and lifter's. It forms a molecular barrier on parts as part of the anti wear function of motor oil. Diesel engine oil still has a fair amount in them, your regular car oil doesn't have much, if any. When our cars where new, zinc was part of the oil additive package. The exhaust valve recession is caused in pre-72 engines not having hardened seats or being induction hardened (usually only a few thousands of an inch). Old (pre 72) engines needed lead to lubricate and cushion the seats, something that the hardened seats took care of.

joeblo

Reaction score
API SM (standard) oils are capped at 800 ppm of zddp, API SL (diesel) oils contain 1100 ppm of zddp, Royal Purple 10w-40 (what I use) contains 1300 ppm of zddp, and their XPR oil contains 1800 ppm of zddp. Just some info I got from Royal Purple, take it for what you will.

Back