Are these the correct wheels for our cars, or did they make them for FWD as well?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hi,

Ran into this ad in the local Kijiji. Are these the wheels that were available for the RWD cars (as in the 5 X 4.5" bolt circle), or did they make them for the FWD cars as well (like the Dynastys and FWD New Yorkers/Imperials of the early 1990s).

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/c...114/597493119?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I love this wheel pattern, but they won't do me any good if they are FWD. Hard to tell from the picture and description.

Kostas

72Dodge

Reaction score
I can't answer your question, because I have no idea. But they sure do look like Imperial wheels. The bolt pattern they claim would be correct for Mopar big bolt pattern though. They say 6.5" wide... I thought these were wider, like even as much as 8"? Maybe I'm assuming that, but my Mirada has these wheels with 275's on them and they fit fine, no bulging. Seems on a 6.5" wide rim, there would be a lot of bulge with a 275.

Anyway, nice wheels, love them.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Ask the seller for more pictures. They look like Imperial wheels to me as well.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hi,

Seller wonks on an appointment only basis, and doesn't work on weekends. I have been emailing back and forth, and have received some new infromation. First of all, the wheels are 15 X 7, which is the same size, in terms of width, as my 5 on 5 spoke wheels that I already have. Secondly, according to the seller, the 5 X4.5" bolt circle is right. Lastly, the backspacing is 5.5", which sounds off, but considering how accurately they measured the wheel width, I will take with a grain of salt at this time. I'm going to set up an appointment to see them on Monday.

Kostas

72Dodge

Reaction score
Yeah, 7" sounds more like it. Good luck!

Side note: So I shouldn't really have these 275s on these 7" wide rims (I didn't put them there), but they "look" okay, I didn't think anything of it. Interesting.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I agree that the backspacing sounds wrong. I don't think it's that high on my 8"-wide Rallyes. However, the more I thought about these, the more it seems to me the FWD version of these wheels was actually a hubcap. I'm 99% sure these are Imperial parts.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I agree that the backspacing sounds wrong. I don't think it's that high on my 8"-wide Rallyes. However, the more I thought about these, the more it seems to me the FWD version of these wheels was actually a hubcap. I'm 99% sure these are Imperial parts.

I didn't know the FWD versions were hubcaps. I do recall seeing them on the FWD cars, thought they were full alloy wheels like the Imperial had.

Kostas

P.S. 72 Dodge, I am going to assume your 275s are 60 aspect ratio. If I look on thetirerack.com, under the BF Goodrich Radial T/A, they are calling for a minimum 7.5" width on a 275/60-15 tire. I don't think it is a huge deal, but you may not want to make full out banzai cornering maneuvers with your present tires. Just an additional data point.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
From my 1986 Fifth Ave brochure....

2014-07-06 19.22.17-1.jpg

2014-07-06 19.22.54-1.jpg

2014-07-06 19.22.17-1.jpg

2014-07-06 19.22.54-1.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hi,

I know that they came on the Fifth Aves. as well. There is one locally that has them. I assumed that they were factory wheels. Never seen the brochure, but the wheels just looked so right on the Fifth that I saw (dark blue car (I assume Nightwatch Blue) and grey snowflakes)).

From the brochure picture, it looks like the center caps are metal all the way out, athough it would be hard to see the clear plastic ends. I'd like to find a set of them

Kostas

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everybody know that I did see the wheels were 15" X 7" wheels, with enough dish to establish them as being RWD wheels. I bought them. Need some polishing up, and centres of course, but I am happy with the deal overall.

Kostas

72Dodge

Reaction score
Sweet! That is great! If you do polish them, please post up your experience. I was thinking about polishing mine like jasperjacko did his 5 on 5's, sanding to 2000 then polish, and I ass-ume these would probably respond in the same way.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
72 Dodge:

I still have two sets of 5 on 5s that need to be polished to get the factory paint off. I have been promised the use of a friend of a friend's media blasting cabinet, but he has yet to come through for me. These snowflakes will be easier, I think. The parts that need polishing are bare metal, and relatively speaking, they are fairly small in surface area, so I will be using we/dry sandpaper on them. Essentially, I will just be poiishing edges, not large flat areas, so they should be easier to polish out. I will probably be starting with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, then 1000 or 1200 grit and then 2000 grit. From there, just some Royal Brown diluted 10:1 to chemically clean the polished edges and the painted surfaces as well, then Flitz polish, and that should be it. I don't want to do anything with the painted areas of the snowflake wheels; I like them fine the way they are. The 5 on 5s will have polished large flat spokes to polish out, and the edges of the thin spokes (as well as polishing the wheel lips in both the 5 on 5s and the snowflakes). I would like the "webs" or the metal that is in between the flat spokes, and surrounds the thin spokes to be flat or semi-gloss black, so I'm not sure if I should take that part down to bare metal, or just scuff up the paint and use a metal prep type product on it before painting. Still doing some thinking on that.

I think I will have an easier time finding center caps for the snowflakes than I will for the 5 on 5s. I don't know if the Magnum 500 centers can be used on the 5 on 5s or not, and I don't have anybody around here with Magnum 500s I could take a look at; buying a repro set from Year One is at least $C250 landed in Canada; a pretty expensive chance to take.

Intent is to use the snowflakes on the grey Cordoba, and 5 on 5s on the two Miradas (the factory should have offered the 5 on 5s for the Mirada, an opinion).

Kostas

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
I have oodles of Magnum (actual Magnum 500, not the Chrysler)/Road Wheel/Chevelle SS/Mustang center caps here (yes, in all varieties w/retainers). I also recently sold a set of 5-on-5 forged alloys. No, the Motor Wheel-sourced "Magnum" style cap will not fit in any variety, and even the shallowest of the bunch (the Mustang ones, I think) would look silly. They'd stick out way too far.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Those are similar and definitely for a Mopar alloy wheel, but the Imperials had a crystal center with a pentagon flat area in the center. They were available with clear or red crystal.

lowbudget

Reaction score
I picked up the full set of snowflakes on ebay for 200.00. He had them listed as Dimplomat wheels. They are missing two caps. If you find a supply let me know. I will check some places that I know of when I get home in a week and will let you know also. They want 130.00 a cap on the ebay link that is posted above. Comparing them to the picture of the rims I just bought they aren't the same as the ones in the picture have an indent around the top.
dip wheel.jpg
They look flat in this picture but it is just the angle of the camera.

dip wheel.jpg

Back