Auto Shifting Issues

Badasspen

Reaction score
I put a Lucasoil product in my 904 and now I am having shifting problems.

1. Will not go out of first gear for the first 5 to 10 minutes of driving.
2. In drive it will shift thru all 3 gears before I can complete a left turn fro a stop.
3. If i get on it in second and manually shift to third it usually slips causing increased RPM then does third.

It is a 10 inch converter, the trans build is unknown (craigslist) console shift and no kickdown linkage hooked up. I changed the ol and filter before it was installed and it looked ok, should have bought a rebuilt 727 DUH!!!

I am thinking that the additive is too thick and wont pump when cold.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score

1. Will not go out of first gear for the first 5 to 10 minutes of driving.
2. In drive it will shift thru all 3 gears before I can complete a left turn fro a stop.
3. If i get on it in second and manually shift to third it usually slips causing increased RPM then does third.

It is a 10 inch converter, the trans build is unknown (craigslist) console shift and no kickdown linkage hooked up. I changed the ol and filter before it was installed and it looked ok, should have bought a rebuilt 727 DUH!!!

I am thinking that the additive is too thick and wont pump when cold.
Drain it and use the Dexron...better get that kickdown linkage hooked up or you could burn up the tranny. Good time to drop the pan and change the filter if you decide to drain it.

77RTNJ

Reaction score
I would use the ATF+3 or +4 for the fluid. That is the fluid that was installed later on in these trannies. The +4 is really just a synthetic version of the fluid.

Kevin

joemac1j

Reaction score
I agree with the above. The linkage is the problem, if not hooked up, on a non manual valve body. I worked for Melrose Motors in Oakland, California. I have built many stock and very high performance Torqueflites for competition. I am now building a competition TF with a low gear, straight cut gears, Fairbanks manual VB, and a 4500 stall converter.
Hope this helps clear up the problem. The trans fluid is not the problem.
JoeMac

Badasspen

Reaction score
So we changed the trans and now the correct linkage has been installed. Cost me a whole ten bucks locally. I need to get it adjusted correctly any tips?

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Just for the sake of saying it . That kickdown lever regulates the internal pressure required to shift the tranny properly . need to hook that pup up .

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
FSM- Do not drive with this trans miss-adjusted or you will be replacing it VERY soon too.

At WOT the the trans lever should be pushed all the way back. This increases line pressure. This is just a ball park estimate to start with. Use a 1/2" wrench for adjustment.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score

Bad idea, I have NEVER seen an auto transmission additive work exactly as it claims, and more than not it compounds the problem. IE: was slipping, now wont move, harsh shifts, no shifts, etc.... I avoid them like the plague.... M3C (cuz 2 aint enough anymore)

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yep. Already mentioned..
Tried that Lucas crap in my old sh*tbox Caprice.
Tranny was slipping. All it did was turn my fluid into sludge and just made things worse.

Erics5th

Reaction score
The problem isn't with Lucas (which I have had good luck with), its with his throttle linkage not hooked up. If your transmission is junk, no additive will help. Most of the stuff in transmission additives is friction modifiers and chemicals to swell seals to ease leaking.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The throttle linkage not being hooked up is an obvious problem
IMO Lucas is a band aid for something not working right.
I always figure it's a better idea to fix the problem and run the correct fluids
Rather than use additives to fix it.
I also avoid them like the plague.

Badasspen

Reaction score
Well its in and adjusted the best I can do, I need about a half inch longer lever, I was thinking maybe all new springs as i just used what I had laying around. The pedal feels like crap from what I had before, (Jegs cable mount and return spring setup) but I noticed a big difference in the way the motor runs. Seems like it was always dragging and struggling to keep up the RPMs. Lesson learned.

Badasspen

Reaction score
FSM- Do not drive with this trans miss-adjusted or you will be replacing it VERY soon too.

At WOT the the trans lever should be pushed all the way back. This increases line pressure. This is just a ball park estimate to start with. Use a 1/2" wrench for adjustment.

Thanks, there is still another inch of adjustment left at the trans. The book leaves out little hints like that.

83Imp

Reaction score
Are you missing any linkage parts?

linkage.jpg

Badasspen

Reaction score
No got it all together , lost the main seal couple weeks ago
back to square one, here we go again.

Badasspen

Reaction score
Pulled the trans, only had half of the converter input shaft. Can you spell
T-O-R-Q-U-E ?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Im guessing that your trans input shaft isnt broken and that your torque conv hub is broken.

Hp and/or Tq isnt what caused the tq conv hub to fail. Hubs do break from age but most break from a mis-aligned trans bell housing. A dial indicator and a gutted trans case can confirm this. Use offset dowels to correct this.

Back