B-body leaf springs?

Gearhed

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Sorry if this question has been asked before (I tried searching). The rear springs on my 5th Ave are shot, and looking around online I saw that speedway motors has "chrysler-type" circle track springs for cheap, in all sorts of spring rates and arches. They say in the description that they fit the b-body. Would it be possible to use these on an fmj by using something like the extended front hanger made for using e-body xhd springs?

Gearhed

Reaction score
I was looking at those the other day, the $100 shipping charge is a killer though

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The proper FJM springs are readily available. You're better off with them and know it's the right part.

LSM360

Reaction score
They are very heavy so yes, shipping will be expensive. I got my replacement springs from Buy Quality Automotive Leaf Springs, Coil Springs and Suspension Parts for your Classic or Antique Auto My AHB had worn springs and nobody around me re-arches springs. I don't know how quality compares to other companies, but I'm satisfied.

Remember, you can't just go from 4 leaf to 5 leaf without other changes. At least I don't think so. The rear hangar is different, and the axle brackets and pads will be to small for the added leaf, I believe.

Gearhed

Reaction score
There's a shop near me that supposedly re-arches leaf springs for the lifted Toyota crowd on a regular basis. Does anyone have a picture/sketch/diagram or measurements of an original spring in good shape? I imagine this shop has never done springs for one of these cars before

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If the shop is any good they should be able to re arch it by sight. I don't know if there's exact info on it.

Gearhed

Reaction score
Looking around I came across this photo from an old thread, and it has me wondering if my springs are actually sagged, or if they just always look like this, and I'm just unfamiliar? The front segment on mine has a bit of negative arch ( like the green line I drew) and it appears this one does too. Is that normal? Sorry if I sound like a total noob here, I'm just more used to leaf springs on trucks/jeeps than cars
20170605_173140~2.jpg

Gearhed

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure my springs shouldn't look like this :eek:
IMG_20200726_074835.jpg

LSM360

Reaction score
They can look like that near the perch. They best way to tell is by how the rear end sits really. If it's sagging too low and hitting hard over the speed bumps, it's time.

Gearhed

Reaction score
To be honest I haven't really driven it much yet. still waiting for NY DMV to get back to some kind of normal schedule so I can register it (they're appointment only and booked a month and a half out). When the previous owner had it, it used to hit the bump stops constantly, although that was with his wife and 4 teenage kids in the car

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
They say in the description that they fit the b-body. Would it be possible to use these on an fmj by using something like the extended front hanger made for using e-body xhd springs?
I have a lot of data on leaf springs for our cars – and need to sit down and put it onto a readable and logical post for all. Some of that data is here: 1979 Volare wagon .

A person “can” get B-body or E-body leaf springs to fit our cars – but to keep the wheel base at the same location (ie: not have rear wheels closer or further apart from front wheels) – then some serious metal work will need to be done (with either longer/shorter front spring hangers and/or re-locating the rear spring hangers so the hanger pivot is in correct position relative to the rear-half of spring length).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure my springs shouldn't look like this :eek:
20200726_074835.jpg

Um, no.

When detached from car, the spring should have a bow shape to it (like bow & arrow, less the arrow). On the car, it might be closer to being straight. Yours looks like mine and have sagged to resemble a "S" now.

If I'm seeing your picture correctly, it appears you have 5-leaf springs on your car. Before taking springs to a spring shop for re-acching, or before ordering new springs - price it both ways first. The result might surprise you (...maybe).
BudW

Gearhed

Reaction score
After looking at all my options, I'm going to attempt re-arching them myself, and probably adding a leaf, I've got a line on a set out of a Durango I'll be picking up to scavenge from. I'll be sure to post results here. My dad seems confident that we can, he worked as a mechanic his whole life, retired a few years ago. Says it's been a good 20+ years since he messed with a set of leafs though

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If adding a leaf, then you will need to either:
Get a 5-leaf ISO clamp, or
Remove the ISO clamp and replace with an older shock plate and get rid of the ISO clamp system altogether (a better option).

Note: you can't go wrong with adding a leaf and not much on the "con column" to do so - but you will need to do one of the other steps (above), first.
BudW

Gearhed

Reaction score
If adding a leaf, then you will need to either:
Get a 5-leaf ISO clamp, or
Remove the ISO clamp and replace with an older shock plate and get rid of the ISO clamp system altogether (a better option).

Note: you can't go wrong with adding a leaf and not much on the "con column" to do so - but you will need to do one of the other steps (above), first.
BudW

Thanks budw, I will be deleting the iso clamps, as I'm also swapping in a 3.55 ratio 8.25 rear out of a Jeep xj Cherokee

bbeep79

Reaction score
Google ESPO Springs and Things in Pennsylvania. Great prices, excellent fit, and up grade options. I have done business with them, and highly recommend them !

Back