Ball Joints

65 Dartman

Reaction score
I'm posting this for my son (The Tattooer) as his computer has crashed. He needs to rebuild his front end, namely U/L ball joints for his 87 Gran Fury I see on RockAuto they show threaded uppers which should be no problem to install. I'm guessing they are the same size as B Bodies and 73-76 Disc ball joints - true? For the lowers they show non-threaded press-in as well as threaded. Would threaded be correct or is that a mis-label?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Nope, it is correct. The lowers are pressed in and you need a ball joint press tool kit to put them in.
Uppers are the same as B and E body and use the same special socket (and really long breaker bar) to screw them in. It needs to take a minimum of 125 lb ft of torque BEFORE they seat. If they go in fairly easy,,,,,,,,,,the control arms need to be replaced otherwise the ball joint WILL pop out at some point. Don't ask me how I know this! lol

80mirada

Reaction score
You need to check both lower balljoints, the pressed have a round beveled head and the threaded look like the uppers with four flats on the head

Aspen500

Reaction score
I stand corrected and humbled. I didn't know M body could have pressed OR threaded lower joints. Learn something new everyday.

Back