BBD rebuild

lowbudget

Reaction score
My Aspen wouldn't start when I got home from the desert. I noticed the accelerator pump not working so I had to drive 30 miles to grab the carb kit. Needless to say the cup had rolled in the carb. I'm probably thinking this was due our nice corn fuel. I got it done and it is running like a champ. Another job well done.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Inside of the carburetor, there is a part called the accelerator pump.
The cup portion of the accelerator pump is made of either rubber, leather or plastic (leather or rubber is best).
ph_27029.jpg

As the material wears out/down, it is not uncommon for an edge of outer cup to roll over and when that happens, it doesn’t push fuel, it allows it to bypass.

Leather accelerator pump cups generally have a spring on backside of them to push the outer lip outwards. Rubber or plastic do not (and look like the picture above).

I have seen BBD’s with all 3 materials before.
Rubber doesn’t like ethanol (nor does plastic).

BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
............Which is one more good reason to use ethanol free fuel in "our" cars, if at all possible. (Lucky enough around here to have ethanol free regular and premium available at 75% of the stations now).

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If politicians had pushed for and gotten ethanol laden gasoline back when most vehicles had carburetors, then this whole issue wouldn’t have seen much daylight.

Ethanol is just as hard on today’s fuel injected cars, but it doesn’t affect them in the same way(s).

Back