bigger disc brakes

slant6billy

Reaction score
There are a few aftermarket brake companies who will put a kit for an FMJ. On a budget and access to some parts "over the counter" We took the spindles from a 73 to 76 A body(they are the bigger bolt years). The Caliper bracket from a late 70's B body (79 Cordoba). Finally the caliper from a mid 70's C body (Newport). The Caliper for the C has a bigger piston. The A body spindle tuck the turn radius in a bit, but watch your back spacing on your wheels. With the bigger caliper, you need 15 incher or bigger front wheels. If you want a back wheel conversion: Jeep grand cherokees have a rear disk on an 8 1/4 that will convert over. I think the year is 95 to 98 (The ZJ). Again, I'm leaving out details, but there are some better threads with step by steps. You could get the better brakes on a real budget.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been taking notes and pictures of parts – for making a thread about this.

The Late B-body and R-body cars ALL have 11¾” brake rotors.
They use the same spindle and wheel bearings that FMJ cars use. The only difference is taller caliper brake brackets to accommodate the wider rotors.

They make two different calipers for the 11¾” brake rotors: pin type and slider type.

The slider calipers are the exact ones that all FMJ cars came with from factory. The pin type calipers require calipers and hoses, in addition to rotors and mounting brackets. Pin type hoses cam be a bear to get correct hoses to fit on some FMJ cars.

Slider caliper brackets are great. Just get new rotors and slider caliper brackets, spend a little time to install them, and presto, you have larger brake capacity for front end.

Keep in mind the front rear brake balance will be off, so you will need to consider increasing rear brakes or use an adjustable valve to compensate for front/rear braking difference.

Also keep in mind you have to have 15” wheels (or larger) for the 11¾” brake rotors. 14” wheels and brake calipers WILL occupy the same real estate, so if you can even get wheels on car, it ain’t going anywhere.

Myself, I plan on installing 11¾” brake rotors and 11” brakes on both cars, also going with 15” wheels on my wagon. That way the front rear brake balance is still the same. Finned 11” drums also require 15” wheels.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I do have a pair of 11¾” slider style caliper brackets for sale, if anyone is looking for some.
Just send me a PM for details.

4speedjim

Reaction score
Hey BudW I am interested in those caliper brackets you have, assuming you still have them.

Back