Bizarre screw holding factory stereo in???

Interior and Electrical

1. gomopar89

gomopar89 Active Member

How can I get this crazy screw out? I have had many Chryslers from the 80s and 90s and have never seen this type of screw securing a stereo head unit... Thanks! 20170108_105735.jpg 20170108_105718.jpg

2. 80mirada

80mirada Well-Known Member

Those were anti theft screws, Chrysler used them in the 80s. I use a spiral socket for rounded bolts, but there are special sockets for them

3. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

This is the socket, for what it's worth.

I always wonder about "anti-theft" and "tamper proof" fasteners. The thieves just go buy (or steal) the special tools AND, us honest guys who work on cars for a living have to buy all sorts of special tools so we can fix the cars with anti-theft and tamper proof fasteners. Sigh.....................

mopar7671 and Justwondering like this.
  4. AJ/FormS

AJ/FormS Well-Known Member

5. LSM360

LSM360 Well-Known Member

Yes, I had to buy the socket. I tried everything else first, but it wasn't going to come off. When I re-installed the stereo, I used standard screws with hex heads. I see you are in Daytona Beach. I have some parts that I don't have listed for sale but will be selling and might finally list one day when I get around to it. PM me if you are in need of something and would like to see if I have since you are close enough to pick up bigger items such as newer set of Police five leaf springs.

6. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

Chrysler did use those for a few years, as well as on some popping gas cap cars (GTX, Charger, 'Cuda, etc.).

The screw is rather soft.
    You can get a dremel in there and cut a slot into it and use a flat screwdriver to unscrew it.
    or
    Go to a tool store or auto parts store and look for an “anti-theft” driver set. Generally you can get a large assortment of bits for 10-15$ (US) that will fit them.

If you do get them out intact and don't have a use for them, I'd be more than happy to send you a pair of (correct) regular screws to swap with them, including $ for postage.
    BudW