Blocking off AIR Injection

Leizurtime

Reaction score
I need to repair the AIR injection lines leading to the exhaust manifolds and the secondary line leading to just below the passenger side manifold exit flange on my 77 Volare Wagon equipped with a Cali. 318. Does anyone know the size of the plugs I would need to temporarily block off these three ports to prevent an exhaust leak?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
They make a teardrop shaped plate that will bolt onto the exhaust manifold for temporary (or permanent) usage - but that part hasn’t been available from Chrysler for twenty years (nor its gasket).

If I remember I will take pictures and some measurements, tonight
One should be able to duplicate the plate pretty easily.

You can also get a pipe tap and tap in a metal plug as well

Once you have the old tubes off, a person may be able to make new ones or repair existing ones, hopefully.
The valve is still being used today, so a person may need to go to a salvage or pull a part and get some valves (from just about any car make) then make something to work.

Leizurtime

Reaction score
It looks similar. That one appears as if it only travels to a single bank. I thought they went to both. I'm pretty sure mine has the crossover type. Also, my check valve doesn't turn to an angle either. It points straight between the carb and valve cover on the passenger side of the intake manifold.

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Well thank you, the correct one I need appears to be an extremely difficult item to locate. I've scoured junkyards looking at F & M bodies as well as various other models of mopars trying to find it. And I've come up short.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
May have to take parts you have/can get and make one yourself.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I believe the single tube is for the aspirator type (or "pulse air") air injection that has no air pump. It uses the exhaust pulses to "suck" air into the manifold. The hose from the check valve just goes to the air filter housing. Had a '78 Cordoba with one of those.

The dual one (like you need) is for air injection with a belt driven pump.
To make things even tougher to find, California emission is different than the 49 state.
Do you have a diverter valve also. with a tube to each manifold and then another going downstream to the catalyst? Going by your description, I'd guess you do. The upstream only style (no tube to the cat) has the check valve on the drivers side, where the dual set up is on the passenger side.

Last edited:

shadango

Reaction score
Hope you dont mind me jumping in here....I too am having some thoughts about the air pump stuff on our 80 volare slant 6....when we got the car, it had the air pump hooked up and running, with what appears to be all the vac lines and valves etc....but there are two large hoses....one that connects to a metal tube that runs to the rear of the head (and it has a valve in it) and the other hose is just going no where.....air and noise comes out of that hose....... Having some rough idle issue and I am wondering if that air pump stuff could somehow be factoring in?

Leizurtime

Reaction score
I got the luck and was able to find a donor car at the pick-a-part with my full emission setup. A 77 Dodge Diplomat w/318 calif emissions car. I got all the air injection tubing rubber and valves in pristine condition for just $45 bucks! Score! With the brand new air pump and the magnaflow cat and muffler I just installed. I'm ready to take on the smog inspection. She sounds beautiful btw, love the low hum of the magnaflow :D

IMG_2332[1].JPG

IMG_2334[1].JPG

IMG_2333[1].JPG

IMG_2335[1].JPG

IMG_2258[1].JPG

IMG_2257[1].JPG

IMG_2255[1].JPG

Leizurtime

Reaction score
It turns out the guy who did my exhaust said he couldn't fit the Y-pipe in. My original pipe, from the manifolds to the cat, was in good shape anyways so I didn't need to replace it. The Y-pipe is for sale if anyone is interested, dual 2.25" inlet single 2.5" outlet. $25 plus shipping if anyone is interested. Brand new, in the box magnaflow.

Back