Body Designations

80mirada

Reaction score
So the Imperial in the thread, '"C" What I Spotted', got me into digging. I had always thought 67-73 Imperials were D-body.

Starting in 1960 with the A-body Chrysler was "going with a chronological series" with their designations. The A-body was introduced as a 1960, B-body came in 1962, The C-body came in 1965, and the new Imperial was introduced on a Unitized chassis in 1967 (D, C+ ?). Chrysler kept this pattern in 1970 with the E-body, but stuff goes weird after that.

That means the next new car should be an F-body, but it isn't. The New for 1971 chassis is a B-body! In 1973 they heavily revise the B-body AGAIN! In 1976 the F-body is introduced, But know we skip to the M-body in 1978, with no significant platform changes structurally, or layout wise, I couldn't find any, anyway.

Next is the L-body, Yes the Omni and Horizon are in this series. The R-body debuts in 1979. The Cordoba and Magnum moved to the R-body for the 1979 model year, that's right, they are R-bodies even with no changes to the car. In 1980 we debut the J-body, which is an F/M-body with some structural changes. And finally the end of the series comes in 1981 with the K-body K-Cars and the Y-body Imperial.

So, I am more confused now than I should be. After looking at the "naked" Structures of some of these cars, a 73 Charger is less of a B-body more than a 71 Imperial is a C-body. However by Chrysler's own Engineering standard The 67-73 Imperial should have been a D-body, AND the 71 and later B-bodies should have been an F-body. Leaving us to love what should have been either a G or an H-body Volare/Aspen, but that isn't the way it worked out.

So is the 67-73 Imperial a C or a D-body? Hell if I know, I do know I wasted bunch of time reading a lot of interesting articles.

The thread that started this
http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/classicmopar/threads/c-what-i-spotted.4439/

ramenth

Reaction score
I believe the reason the new designed B-bodies were designated as B-bodies was because the name plates followed. The Road Runner, the Satellite, the Charger, the Coronet et al, came onto the new for '71 platform.

The C- and D- body platforms have always been muddied. I thought the only time they Imperials were designated as a D-body were when the Imperials was it's one make line (like Dodge, Chrysler, and Plymouth) and the were only designated under the C-body line was when they were back to being incorporated under the Chrysler make.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Imperials were D and built under a separate name plate from Chrysler.
When the fuselage C based Imperials came, they got called C's but the where built on stretched C platforms.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Regardless, we all know which body designations are the best ones don't we. It's F-M and J body!

I know, not a body designation but in the parts manuals (and VIN) "H" is Volare so they sort of had an H-body but not really.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Practically speaking, there is only an F body, the rest is marketing. F body came in 2 door (108" WB), and 4 door (112.7" WB). While called J bodies, the Cordoba and Mirada used the 112.7" F body chassis. M bodies are F bodies, Chrysler just wanted to get away from the quality issues of the F body. There are very few differences in the actual chassis.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I am speaking in the context of this board. Since we don't cover FWD Imperials, it isn't part of what I was talking about. For somebody who goes postal everytime we mention anything that isn't part of this board, that is a strange comment.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
LOL, I call RWD 80-83 Imperials Y's even though it isn't correct.

In the original thread ' And finally the end of the series comes in 1981 with the K-body K-Cars and the Y-body Imperial.'
I'm agreeing with Y Imperial FWD.

80mirada

Reaction score
Chrysler internal documents, Marketing and P-parts (Direct Connection) refer to the 81-83 Imperial as a Y-body, but it does not differ in any significant manner from the J-body. The J-body has a revise upper cowl, but nothing significant from an F-body. The 67-73 Imperial are called C-bodies because 2 engineers who didn't work on that program said so. Direct Connection and Mopar Performance catalogs have referred to the 67-73 Imperial as all three, C,D and Y. By Chrysler's own standard of the time, The 67-73 Imperial had enough structural changes to justify a designation change. As for the B-bodies, it appears that they continued the B-body designation because it was already a commonly used term for those car lines. However they changed the designation of the 79 Cordoba and Magnum to R-body even though there are no changes outside of minor cosmetics from the 78 B-body.

My only conclusion is that in spite an attempt to straighten out their Vehicle platform designations, someone still screwed it up.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be any pattern regarding body designations at Chrysler. Sometimes they just randomly changed designations for the same body (see B body Cordoba/Magnums in 1978, R body Cordoba/Magnums in 1979 with no significant changes), some times they kept the designations even though the chassis was significantly changed (see pre- and post-1971 B bodies). Lets not even get into the re-use of both model names and body designations over time.

Basic conclusion from what I know and I am reading, they pretty much called them what they felt like calling them. No pattern, no logic need apply.

Back