Brake boster clearance with headers

mworke

Reaction score
OK, I need some advice and recommendations on header clearance to the power brake booster in an '87 FIfth. Several years ago, I installed headers and 2.5 in duals out the back. At that time I encountered a slight interference with the power brake booster and the drivers side header. To resolve the issue, I enlarged the holes in the fire wall where the brake pedal assembly passed thru allowing me to shift the booster/master assembly away from the header. This has worked great for me up now, but I plan to swap in a 4-speed setup this spring and will have to move the brake assembly back to its original location due to clutch rod/z-bar assembly alignment. So......I am now back to the original problem of booster to header interference. FRUSTRATING!

I read some where that early K-Car boosters will fit. They are smaller diameter and should take care of the issue. Does any one know what year booster will work. Mfg. part number would be great. Thanks...Mike

NoCar340

Reaction score
Well, if the clearance issue is forward of the clamp area, you can just smack a few small clearance dents in it. All it has to do is not hit; it's not like the engine will ever tilt in that direction. I don't know of any smaller-diameter boosters used with the 2-bolt master cylinder, but something from a FWD car might work. Just bopping around on RockAuto, one from a B-van (I looked at an '83) looks to be slightly smaller diameter, but it's kind of hard to tell using the MC studs as a gauge.

If it was an older car with a four-bolt iron master you could use an older A-body tandem booster, but that would involve more-severe firewall butchery than you'd probably like.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
84+ k-cars (or whatever year they started)
what headers are you using? this is the 1st ive heard of any interfering with the brake booster

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I used the k-car booster in a mirada with a 440 and headers, no clearance problem with the booster. I did have to add a bushing or different pin to connect it all together, but it worked well.

Back