Brake shoe sizing

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Hi all ... was wondering what size brake shoes I have .. I've done most of the maintenance items so far and with the looks of the front pads I'm sure the rear shoes will need doing .. I think they were all originals .. anyways when I look them up they specify 10" or 11" I assume(and we all know what assumptions are .. lol) the 11" are on wagons or 360's but would rather know before ordering ...... '80 Volare /6 ... when I searched it got even more confusing ... 9"-11" (yeah .. it's a Haynes) but R.A. only lists 10" or 11"

Thanks in advance

lowbudget

Reaction score
NAPA shows the 11" as police or heavy duty. I always figured it was the difference between 7 1/4 and 8 1/4 rear ends but then what do I know.... I would just pull a wheel and measure,

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
NAPA shows the 11" as police or heavy duty. I always figured it was the difference between 7 1/4 and 8 1/4 rear ends but then what do I know.... I would just pull a wheel and measure,

Thanks !! .. and a quick search on the interweb showed me where to measure ...
hit-himself-with-a-bat-smiley-emoticon.gif

Aspen500

Reaction score
Chances are you have 10" brakes.
I don't recall F-bodies ever having 9" brakes. Older A-bodies did though.
My car originally was a 7 1/4" rear with 10" drums and when swapping to the 8 3/4" (from a '72 Roadrunner) back in '89, I transferred the almost new brakes from the old axle to the new (minus the backing plates of course). What I mean is, everything was exactly the same.

If rust hasn't obliterated it, the maximum safe diameter is imprinted on the drum which would tell you also what size they are. Just ignore the numbers right of the decimal.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have 14” wheels on car then the only choice will be 10” rear drums.

You might be able to get a feeler gauge between 15” wheels with 11” drums.
This picture is an 15” aluminum snowflake wheel mounted to 8¼” with 11” drums (police sway bar is also seen).
20160601_224023.jpg

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
14's came stock on the car ..... with shipping, exchange and taxes I'm looking at $60 + for Raybestos. I'm gonna check local .. if they come close, I'll buy... saves on the border woes and all.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Wow, you guys really get,,,ummmmm,,,,,,,reamed up there don't you?

Yup ....... and I haven't added tolls or duty yet .. most times they just let you through tho ... within reason. Sometimes it's not worth the trouble and time and if you look at customs wrong they'll pull you over in a flash.

Leizurtime

Reaction score
I just did my 77 wagon drums, its a 318 car with 8-1/4 rear. I measured the old drums when I pulled them, they are an even 10".

Back