Breaker Box

Justwondering

Reaction score
So this evening's entertainment was '''''' ta da da da!!! -- drilling holes in the joists so I could pull electric line through in order to add just one more breaker to the breaker box.

Everything currently being stored on the north side of the garage had to be moved.
Ladder up. down. up. down. up. down. til I have all the joists done and the line pulled.

Fish the line into the wall cavity and dropped into the box.

Strip the lines and put the copper wire in - CHECK
put the white wire in -- CHECK
put the black wire in the breaker -- CHECK

put the breaker in the box --- ....... honey -- are u sure you bought the right type of breaker?
yes... its a square D.. you are just not putting it in correctly.
honey -- I'm sure I've got it oriented correctly.
no dear -- if you did, there would be lights on in the greenhouse.
honey -- there is nothing for the breaker to connect to for an outside metal rail -- just plastic.
what?? are you sure. try again.
honey -- I tried both ways and I'm very sure there may be space in the box, but the box doesn't have enough rail for this.

Well crap.

So after much reassurance to the Mister that this is not gonna work... he finally agrees and says lets look at it in the morning.

My vote is to change up how we've done the lights. All the lights are LED and don't draw squat. I don't need a 20 amp breaker for 12 LED's that are never on at the same time or for any length of time.

But then, we've had this discussion before and I was voted off the island ...lol

Looks like Plan B is in play for the weekend.

slant6billy

Reaction score
i've got a big list of electrical upgrades and have "zero" done. Except the new pool circuit from 2 years ago.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That sure brings back the memories of when I was redoing the inside of the house and rewiring to replace the completely inadequate wiring the house had. Some old cloth covered style, one circuit still knob and tube and a 60 amp fuse panel with a whole 6 circuits. Upgraded to 200 amp breakers and underground service but the drilling the joists. As you said, up, drill, down, move work platform, up, drill, down, move platform, up, drill.........................Lather, rinse repeat while going up, down, moving the platform to run the wiring through the holes you just drilled. Sigh................

LOL, I remember when the power company came to take down the old overhead wire and hook up the underground service. He said he'd never seen a service like that before. It was OLD cloth covered (what was left of the covering that is)wire and he said it was at most a 40 amp service. The joys of buying what amounts to a tract house, built in 1946.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I've been promised restaurant lunch after we pick up new breakers tomorrow.
Course, its back to wearing coats... 76 today and tomorrow we top out at 40.

But sitting here with the windows open and a slight breeze blowing ... life is good!

Justwondering

Reaction score
AJ -- here is the update.

Drover over for lunch at the restaurant.
This particular place is 27 miles away and we go there so we can drown our dinner in homemade ranch dressing. Doesn't matter what you order you always get a side order of ranch dressing. If you like that type of dressing... this is the best.

Then went two doors down to Walgreens cause its like an upscale Dollar General. Of course, that Dollar General is the closest thing to a grocery store I normally have to make do with. So its just amazing to walk up and down the aisles and look at all the stuff you never knew you needed.

Followed up with the visit to Home Depot.
So why is it when you are looking for a replacement wire stripper they have plenty of open slots for 3 different types but only have the $30 ones in stock?
Bought the circuit breakers we needed and the ones we might need and the extra two I wanted so when we lose the first ones, I can still get things working.

Apparently there are two types of squareD circuit breakers.
The ones with the metal flanges at both ends.
And the ones with a metal flange at one end and a plastic lip at the other end.
Hmmmm
Well, if you use the proper type of circuit breaker it makes a much, much better connection (kind with the lip is what I needed.)

Back home and after I fed the goats (lazy goats), I came back and worked on the circuits.
Disconnected the 20amp breaker and replaced it with a 15amp breaker. It was only gonna run the lights in the guest room. Moved the 20amp breaker over and connected the new greenhouse wires to it.

Yes, I had to do it twice.
Yes, I should use some device to strengthen my hand grip when using that horrid special, electric, red flat screwdriver. Or maybe I should just get a better screwdriver.
Yes, I finally got both circuits working correctly.

BUT

There is no juice in the greenhouse.
Thats something to do with the separate breaker in the greenhouse. Apparently a loose wire.

and yes... I resemble that remark ....lol loose wire... oh man, sometimes I am so funny it hurts.

Justwondering

Reaction score
My older brother is running for Justice of the Peace in his town and I've been helping him canvass door-to-door handing out literature and asking for their vote. Finally finished the two voter precincts he asked me to do 410 voters in about 350 locations (houses). Yea!

When I got back from another all day (final all day) effort, I made the mistake of calling home to find out if anything was needed before I left the big city for our tiny abode.

Please get dog food.
Oh and cat food.
and I think we need cat litter.
and we are nearly out of the most additive cinnamon spice tea god ever created (which keeps him off coffee and the caffeine in it as well as tastes better than the decaf stuff)
and while you are in tractor supply getting the dog food would you see if they have a pair of jeans -- not too big, not too small, just long enough and don't pay too much cause you know its just jeans
and how about we have pizza for dinner - do I mind stopping by for the pizza.

After I got off the phone, I was sitting in the truck laughing like a crazy woman.

Last edited:

4speedjim

Reaction score
My Panel was packed full. 100 amp 20 slot. I just needed lights and an outlet or two for the detached garage. I was able to find a couple 14G wires in the box, and put both on one of the breakers. 2 14G fit on a breaker. 12G wont. Ran it 12 yrs that way. Its same as taping into an outlet. Which might be a good idea to power your LEDs. Depending on ease of access.
It sounds like you should think about adding a sub panel. Place it either where you can pull wires from the full box and stick them in the sub. This is the least expensive and best bang for the buck IMO. Because you can populate the sub right away. Feed it with a 60 or 100 amp or more. Whatever you think you could possibly need down the road. Get enough slots and breakers. Feed it from the room you made moving wires. Or you can run wire and put the box in an out building or the far side of the house. Fill it as you go. They come with a variety of slots. Just make sure the one you choose has breakers available, or they come with some and room to grow.
Also, if I understood you right. The value of all the breakers in the box is not important. Its not uncommon to have more amps worth of breakers in a box than its rated for.

Last edited:
Back