Broken back window advice ?

Bogus

Reaction score
Hi. I have a fith avenue with a broken back window. I did the search on Here but did not find anything to help me. I am wondering . Do i have to remove to fiberglass cap off of the car to replace the back glass ? It needs new vinyl anyways so I don't mind all that much. Also will it look ok if I leave the cap off ? I know I read a thread that said I'd have to use a diplomat window and trim if I do. Has anyone got pictures of a car that has it deleted ?

4speedjim

Reaction score
They may not have finish sanded, shot much paint or clear under the padded roof. They look sharp finished with the trim and no vinyl top. Use the Dippy - Grand Fury window and window trim. Ive never replaced a back glass but Id assume its same as a windshield. Id pay a junk yard to pull the window and trim for you. Well worth the cost and convenience IMO. You'll want a heated back glass repair kit. Its conductive super glue used to repair the lines in the rear defroster if so equipped. Its either urethane'd in and that's quick and easy. Clean prime and apply even bead of urethane around the primed perimeter and put it in. Use masking tape all over to hold it tight in place. Open a window before you shut the doors. The pressure will pop out your newly installed window on the trunk lid and it hits the floor. Or it has a rubber gasket that slips over the pinch weld around the window frame. Use a narrow strong rope or 1/16" cable. Wrap it around the seal tucked between the 2 outter sides and then wrap it around the back glass, set it in position and install it. Id leave both ends of cable on the top about centered. When you pull the rope. It lifts the inside half the flap over the pinch weld and sucks the window in with it. Have a buddy carefully slap the window to help get it in place and centered while your pulling it in. A spray bottle of soapy water works wonders to lube and slip the window in the seal and seal in window frame. Work you way around back to the top center, carefully pulling the rope and window in place and its in! Good luck and keep us posted on your decisions and progress. These guys are great here and will help with anything! I'm glad you joined ffmjbo and welcome aboard!

Bogus

Reaction score
Thanks 4speedjim.
Lots of info there. I have replace glass before . Old style and new with glue. I just never work on a mod top before. I got the bonnet off now and working on the inner peice now.I'm ganne delete the mod top and just have a regular top. I like it better. A friend of mine have 3 fifth avenues I could get a glass out of but I just really don't like the mod top. What year range dippy of furry I need to look for to get a glass and trim ? Mine is an 86 model .

20171116_142843.jpg

20171116_142835.jpg

20171116_142111.jpg

20171116_142101.jpg

20171116_142032.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
brings back memories of my fifth avenue.
I recovered the bonnet and put it all back. Fixed the opera lights as well.
Keep posting pictures so we can see your progress.

Bogus

Reaction score
Yep. I spent a lot of time reading your thread on that. It helped me out a lot. Thank you for that.

Bogus

Reaction score
4speedjim
I am guessing a window from a Cordoba / charger won't fit. Am i right ?

Back