Broken Power Steering Cylinder Pin -Help!

Justwondering

Reaction score
I have a Massey Ferguson 165 Tractor I'm working on fixing up to use down at the estate.

It hadn't run in 5 years.
I have changed all the fluids and filters, new battery, cleaned out the gas tank, new gaskets, etc, etc,
And with the knowledge and confidence I gained here, I rebuilt the carburetor.

It only took me 4 times of installing and reinstalling the carb before I got everything right and the lightbulb lit up in my brain cells.

It starts, it runs.

Then I did the last check and realized the power steering cylinder (sits in the front under the nose) of the tractor was leaking badly.

Looks like I need to put in new o-rings and gaskets.

One end has a pin (bolt) sitting vertical that drops down in a hole and through the end of the power steering ram.

I have diligently been working to free the cylinder ram by removing the bolt.
Tonight I figured out why the Prior Owner kept letting the fluid build up.

That bolt is broken in half. I got the top half out tonight (it was rusted in there).
So now, I have half a bolt out and half a bolt left in.

There is just enough of the pin left at the bottom of the hole so I can't pull the ram out.

QUESTION
How do I clear out the remainder of the bolt?
I don't want to mess up the end of the ram.
Is there a special bit to use?

I'll add some pics in just a sec.

JW

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
PB Blaster, let it soak in for a couple of days, drill the pin\bolt with a cobalt drill bit, hammer in an EZout, and hopefully(fingers crossed), it will thread out. If not you may have to break out the torches.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Its been so interesting learning about this project.

Used a center punch to set the center. Bought 4 cobalt drill bits.
Started with the smallest size (using the Makita cordless drill).
Oil, drill , seems like nothing is grabbing.

LEARNING: The drill is much more effective when you have it going forward instead of reverse. The drill bit is much more efficient this way. LOL

Oil, drill, few shavings, oil, drill few shavings.

Up 1 size.
Oil, drill, few shavings (tough to get them out of the hole)., oil drill, few shavings.

Up 1 size.
Oil, drill, few shavings, Oil, drill, sudden lurch.

The ram shaft moved a bit.

I used the end of the jack lever and tapped it further and it finally cleared the housing.

Yea!

SUCCESS!

Downside is the drill bit wandered off center. The top of the broken pin (which looks like its been broken for years -- very rusty) was very uneven. Which means the drill bit wandered until it found more material and grabbed that area. Its probably why the makita drill worked so well. Although, there is still most of the other end of the pin in the hole.

Looks like I am going to learn how to use a bolt extractor tomorrow.

JW

Back