Buying 84 Fifth Avenue, What to look for.

Mr Grumpy

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm looking at a 84 Fifth Avenue, it's got a 318 in it and looks pretty good from the pics the guy has sent me.
I'd just like some pointers on what to check on these models before I make the 3h drive to check it out.
Thanks in advance.

LSM360

Reaction score
Hard to say in pics, but if you do make the drive, I would mainly look for rust. If seller will pull up carpet in trunk, and spare tire and check for rust there. Also remove the door sills, and lift carpet as much possible and check floor boards for rust. Remove rear door sills also then pop back seat bottom out, and look for rust there. All these are very easy to do in just minutes, and with a phillips screwdriver.

I would also check all electrical, e.g. turn signals, brake lights, etc.

Last edited:

MoparDan

Reaction score
Check the upper control arms if possible, I had one spilt almost in half on me once on the highway because it was severely rusted

Mr Grumpy

Reaction score
Thanks, that's the sort of thing I need to know, it's a Quebec car so rust is always an issue.
Are repair panels available for these cars?

MoparDan

Reaction score
It probably depends on what you need, websites like here, dippy.org, and car-part.com can be a life saver (that's where I found a replacement control arm)

89.Fifth

Reaction score
Personally I don't worry about rust to body panels. You can fix sheet metal. I worry about having all the little bits of trim be in good shape. Try finding a complete set of matching window sill trim. I dare ya. Same for interior vents and knobs and stuff.

Mine has some rot in the fenders and quarters but I don't care. The rest is pristine. I have front fenders and can patch the rest.

Mr Grumpy

Reaction score
Well it's all become rather a wild goose chase, having arranged to go see/buy the car on Friday, the seller has just texted me to say he can't start it due to the cold so he's taking the ad down and will sell it next summer.
I hate this sort of thing with a passion, but there's not a lot one can do except hope he has it dry stored.
Thanks for your help and advice.

Mr Grumpy

Reaction score
Thanks, it's a bit more money than the red one I was looking at but looks in better shape and less miles.

I assume you understand that having sent me this link you are now on my wife's hitlist. :)

Mr Grumpy

Reaction score
Contacted the seller, but no response.
It looks too nice to leave outside in my yard too, the garage is currently full of
Plymouth.
The 6" of snow that fell yesterday, was the final straw so we'll see what happens in the spring.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Contacted the seller, but no response.
It looks too nice to leave outside in my yard too, the garage is currently full of
Plymouth.
The 6" of snow that fell yesterday, was the final straw so we'll see what happens in the spring.
I'm always shopping for a M so I always know where they are.

Back