Canada vs United States

kkritsilas

Reaction score
There have been a number of consumer complaints, which is where this arose from. The problem, from other articles, is the power steering return hose bursting. Our more severe winter weather may have something to do with it, or it may be that there haven't been enough complaints in the US yet to force a recall.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Normally, I think the US population is just whiney in general so I was amazed that Canada took the lead on this. Maybe everybody south of the border is distracted by this pre-election circus.

It will be interesting to see what happens given all the recent turmoil over takata airbags.

Justwondering

Reaction score
lol...
I've gotten so used to fixing things that when I read the issue I immediately wondered why you don't just go down to the farm co-op and get a really high pressure hose like I put on the front-end loader of the tractor.

I know how dangerous it is though. Hired a couple of local, young boys to help out last year and they overfilled the hydraulic fluid on the tractor we had. I finally fired them after a few months (another long story).

About two weeks after they were gone, my husband is on the tractor when the hose fails and starts misting hydraulic fluid over the engine. Fire begins and he has to bail off. Burned up about 10 acres before we got it under control. And yes, burned up the tractor as well.

Overfilled tank and too much pressure... line burst.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Canada vs USA-
metricvsimperial.jpg

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Canada = metric ...... U.S.A = freedom units .. that as a Canadian I understand better b/c I grew up before metric and before daddy Dalton and momma Wynne.

Justwondering

Reaction score
You are doing better than me, I still haven't grown up.
My world - width of your hand is about 4 inches, first joint of your thumb is about 1 inch, from my nose to the tip of my middle finger is about 1 yard. Thats about all the measuring I need when I sew.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
You are doing better than me, I still haven't grown up.
My world - width of your hand is about 4 inches, first joint of your thumb is about 1 inch, from my nose to the tip of my middle finger is about 1 yard. Thats about all the measuring I need when I sew.
Growing old is mandatory ... growing up is optional.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Problem with living in the U.S. is it all depends on the situation if you use the English system or metric. Working on a house, it's inches and fractions of an inch. Working on a car built in the last 30 years and it's millimeters and centimeters. Worse is the transitional cars when they were staring to change over, part standard, part metric. The old design parts were still standard but the new design parts were metric. My '96 Dakota is like that. the accessory bracket bolts to the engine with fractional bolts but everything bolted TO the bracket is held on with metric bolts. Good grief. Do I need a 1/2" socket or is that a 13mm??????????????????????? Is that a 9/16" or 14mm????????? Sigh..........

The government did try to go metric in this country back in the 1970's but it went over like a fart in church, or whatever saying you want to use.

Funnily enough though, a can of soda is in ounces, a bottle is in liters. Go figure.....................How about tires, (example) 255mm section width, 16" wheel size. Wonder why we all go insane, lol.

I'm with you Dr, give me decimals instead of fractions any day of the week.

Justwondering

Reaction score
After the metric/standard issue is this:
Why, tell me why there are still flat head screws?
And if we have to still use them, why can't the groove in a flat head screw be deep enough for the average flat bladed screwdriver. Why must they always be so shallow?
Just about any option would be better: phillips, square, star, torx

sorry for the rant, but I just had to deal with two different problems: the nitwit that decided to use a combination of flat and phillips screws and the same nitwit that used cheap crap flat heads with shallow grooves.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I think Robertson (square head) screws should be mandatory. I can't count the number of old star heads I've stripped. Drive ya crazy.

Back