Car won't start in Park

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ok I have swapped the 318 for the 360, about to start up, just been doing the electronic ignition wire up, I have that working and when checking the 12v to the coil on start I noticed the relay doesn't click over in Park, it does in neutral. I don't think any of the wiring I removed from the engine bay will effect that. Neutral/Park start are controlled by the switch in the trans, and if it works in neutral does that mean I may need to adjust the selector leaver underneath until it starts in park or could it be something else I have over looked?

For reference when the engine came out I put a bar across the car to hold the trans up, that bar did slip and did hit the selector rods, they got the weight of the trans pushing on them.

Thanks
Bruce

IMG-20160420-WA0002.jpeg

80mirada

Reaction score
Make sure the linkage is pushing the shift lever on the trans into the rear most detent for park, if I am remembering correctly.

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
The adjustment would be the first thing to try.
But a car will start in neutral and not park when the neutral safety switch is bad.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Switch was new about a year ago, just had a thought and the reverse lights are not working now, hmmmm what have I broken :( I will start looking at it over the weekend more deeper.

80mirada

Reaction score
Check the transmission wiring harness and the plug on the engine bay harness. Make sure your shift lever goes all the way into each detent for each shifter position. Check and see if you windsheild washers still work, the pump is grounded through the neutral safety switch.

Back