Changing Brake Fluid

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
For FMJ vehicles, Chrysler only recommends inspecting the brake fluid – but says nothing about changing it.

DOT 3 is what FMJ cars were built with. DOT 4 is a slightly better fluid than DOT 3 (higher boiling point) but for all practical purposes, DOT 3 and DOT 4 are the same thing. DOT means US Department of Transportation – which is who classified the names/numbers.
If pricing brake fluid and you can find DOT 4 for same price as DOT 3 – get it, otherwise it really doesn’t matter to most of us.

Brake fluid has a high boiling point – but if brakes do get hot, air bubbles will form causing a temporary spongy brake petal and reduced braking pressure until parts cool down. DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluid also tends to absorb water moisture from the air – which is why all brake components as well as bottles should be keep airtight.

When brake fluid absorbs water moisture, it lowers the boiling point of fluid down. Here are the boiling points of brake fluid:
MOPAR 3.jpg

DOT 3 new - 400’ F (205’ C). with 3.7% water moisture absorbed – or referred to “wet” – 285’ F (140’ C).
Castrol 4.jpg

DOT 4 new – 445’ F (230’ C), wet – 310’ F (155’ C).
EBC 5.0.jpg

DOT 5 new – 500’ F (260’ C), wet – 355’ F (180’ C).
Mobil 5.1.jpg

DOT 5.1 new – 500’ F (260’ C), wet – 355’ F (180’ C).

Valvoline 3 4.jpg

This is DOT 4 fluid - but marketed to those who don't know the difference between the two.

A new can of DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid opened and left open can absorb about 10-15% of water out of the air (more so when humid out, less so in Phoenix AZ) which makes the fluid useless – so keep those bottles tight!
A new (unopened) bottle of fluid should last forever.

DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are all Glycol-based (the same item used in coolant). Also, DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 fluids will eat paint and other metal coatings right off in no time – so be careful not to spill any on a freshly painted car or part!

DOT 5 is Silicon based and it will not damage paint. It will not mix with any other fluid type (not without causing problems). DOT 5 fluid is not to be used with ABS (Anti-lock braking systems) for ABS solenoids/valves will aerate the fluid – which leaves a spongy brake petal. I hadn’t seen anyone add ABS on to an FMJ car . . . yet.

Now getting back to the question about changing brake fluids. Most car manufactures recommend changing brake fluid (depending on brand) every two to three years. The reason why is water moisture absorption (which happens) – but more so the byproduct of “wet” brake fluid boiling. When you get brakes to boiling temperature (which is drastically lower when “wet”) – not only do you have gases (boiled fluid) as well as water moisture in the shape of steam.
What happens when water moisture (steam in this case) when it contacts un-protected steel or iron?

Where is this hot fluid being heated at? (at the brake calipers and wheel cylinders).
Those locations are where RUST (yes, I said that four letter word) happens at. I have taken apart brake calipers where the iron caliper housing was so rusty (internally), it looks like it was used to distribute salt/brine for the Wisconsin street department. The caliper pistons were made of Stainless Steel, which was either highly polished or in some cases, had a layer of chrome on the stainless piston. Even so, rust still happened, so someone came up with the idea of using plastic (phenolic – spelling?) for caliper pistons, thinking it “can’t” rust. Well, guess what: the plastic won’t rust but the iron housing will and can/will lockup up after a while.

Brake wheel cylinders don’t have the froze up problem (as much) but the problem they experience is rust still happens but this time, rust will start to eat away at the rubber hydrolytic cups causing them to leak. Rust can act like a sandpaper and the rubber will lose every time.

A way to check that is to pinch back the rubber boot whenever you have a brake drum off. If nothing comes out – GREAT! If fluid comes out, or if you have a trail of fluid running out before boot was pinched back, then, um, NOT GREAT (insert frown, here).

In my opinion and even though Chrysler says otherwise, I HIGHLY recommend EVERYONE to change brake fluid out every two to three years. Just bleed (correctly) until you see new fluid at each wheel. It doesn’t matter if car gets driven or not. This also applies to any carline (and to motorcycles, etc.) as well.

Even aluminum brake master cylinders are subject to corrosion – but not to the same extent as iron/steel is.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I had a 91 Jaguar XJ6 that the owner's manual said to have the hydraulic system flushed on the brakes as you say every two to three years.

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
For FMJ vehicles, Chrysler only recommends inspecting the brake fluid – but says nothing about changing it.

DOT 3 is what FMJ cars were built with. DOT 4 is a slightly better fluid than DOT 3 (higher boiling point) but for all practical purposes, DOT 3 and DOT 4 are the same thing. DOT means US Department of Transportation – which is who classified the names/numbers.
If pricing brake fluid and you can find DOT 4 for same price as DOT 3 – get it, otherwise it really doesn’t matter to most of us.

Brake fluid has a high boiling point – but if brakes do get hot, air bubbles will form causing a temporary spongy brake petal and reduced braking pressure until parts cool down. DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluid also tends to absorb water moisture from the air – which is why all brake components as well as bottles should be keep airtight.

When brake fluid absorbs water moisture, it lowers the boiling point of fluid down. Here are the boiling points of brake fluid:
View attachment 37353
DOT 3 new - 400’ F (205’ C). with 3.7% water moisture absorbed – or referred to “wet” – 285’ F (140’ C).
View attachment 37354
DOT 4 new – 445’ F (230’ C), wet – 310’ F (155’ C).
View attachment 37355
DOT 5 new – 500’ F (260’ C), wet – 355’ F (180’ C).
View attachment 37356
DOT 5.1 new – 500’ F (260’ C), wet – 355’ F (180’ C).

View attachment 37357
This is DOT 4 fluid - but marketed to those who don't know the difference between the two.

A new can of DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid opened and left open can absorb about 10-15% of water out of the air (more so when humid out, less so in Phoenix AZ) which makes the fluid useless – so keep those bottles tight!
A new (unopened) bottle of fluid should last forever.

DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are all Glycol-based (the same item used in coolant). Also, DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 fluids will eat paint and other metal coatings right off in no time – so be careful not to spill any on a freshly painted car or part!

DOT 5 is Silicon based and it will not damage paint. It will not mix with any other fluid type (not without causing problems). DOT 5 fluid is not to be used with ABS (Anti-lock braking systems) for ABS solenoids/valves will aerate the fluid – which leaves a spongy brake petal. I hadn’t seen anyone add ABS on to an FMJ car . . . yet.

Now getting back to the question about changing brake fluids. Most car manufactures recommend changing brake fluid (depending on brand) every two to three years. The reason why is water moisture absorption (which happens) – but more so the byproduct of “wet” brake fluid boiling. When you get brakes to boiling temperature (which is drastically lower when “wet”) – not only do you have gases (boiled fluid) as well as water moisture in the shape of steam.
What happens when water moisture (steam in this case) when it contacts un-protected steel or iron?

Where is this hot fluid being heated at? (at the brake calipers and wheel cylinders).
Those locations are where RUST (yes, I said that four letter word) happens at. I have taken apart brake calipers where the iron caliper housing was so rusty (internally), it looks like it was used to distribute salt/brine for the Wisconsin street department. The caliper pistons were made of Stainless Steel, which was either highly polished or in some cases, had a layer of chrome on the stainless piston. Even so, rust still happened, so someone came up with the idea of using plastic (phenolic – spelling?) for caliper pistons, thinking it “can’t” rust. Well, guess what: the plastic won’t rust but the iron housing will and can/will lockup up after a while.

Brake wheel cylinders don’t have the froze up problem (as much) but the problem they experience is rust still happens but this time, rust will start to eat away at the rubber hydrolytic cups causing them to leak. Rust can act like a sandpaper and the rubber will lose every time.

A way to check that is to pinch back the rubber boot whenever you have a brake drum off. If nothing comes out – GREAT! If fluid comes out, or if you have a trail of fluid running out before boot was pinched back, then, um, NOT GREAT (insert frown, here).

In my opinion and even though Chrysler says otherwise, I HIGHLY recommend EVERYONE to change brake fluid out every two to three years. Just bleed (correctly) until you see new fluid at each wheel. It doesn’t matter if car gets driven or not. This also applies to any carline (and to motorcycles, etc.) as well.

Even aluminum brake master cylinders are subject to corrosion – but not to the same extent as iron/steel is.
BudW
Thanks for the reminder

Aspen500

Reaction score
This is something I knew but it's also one of those maintenance items you never think of doing, until it's too late.
When I worked at the Audi dealer, until I got smart and GTFO in 2012, brake fluid changes were required maintenance. After the first 3 years and then every 2 years after that. It does greatly reduce, or even eliminate, problems like seized caliper pistons, leaks, and (N/A to our cars) ABS hydraulic failures. An ABS hydraulic control unit is NOT an inexpensive thing to replace.

As you said, even if the car isn't driven, the fluid can go bad. Stored in a climate controlled garage, never driven in rain and totally new system doesn't make it immune, I have unfortunately discovered.:cool: It's something I knew, just sort of forgot over the years. Hey, there's only so much room in the brain and with all the crap you need to know to work on the modern automobile 5 days a week, some of the older info has to be deleted to make room, lol.

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
I twisted off both rear bleeder screws on the rear of the imperial in an attempt to replace all the brake fluid.... Has anyone had success in getting stuck bleeder screws out w/o removing the wheel cylinder?

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Nice write-up BudW...I will add the following about 5.1, copy/paste from one of the StopTech Tech library docs I have attached here.

Hey – you didn't mention DOT 5.1 fluids!
Historically, DOT 5-level performance (specifically boiling points and viscosity) could only be achieved with silicone-based fluids. However, modern compounding has created glycol ether-based fluids which now meet DOT 5 bogeys in these key areas. Consequently, the DOT 5.1 moniker was created to differentiate between these two very different chemistries which both meet DOT 5 performance requirements.

In so many words, DOT 5.1 fluids are simply DOT 4-type fluids which meet DOT 5 performance requirements. Because of this, they typically can be mixed with DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluids without concern. In some circles, they are even referred to as ‘DOT 4 Plus’ or ‘Super DOT 4’ fluids because they are more similar to a conventional DOT 4 fluid by chemistry than they are to a conventional DOT 5 fluid. In fact, DOT 5.1 is essentially comprised of Borate Esters.

While it may not be obvious, the big advantage of the DOT 5.1 fluids is that they contain all of the nifty water- absorbing characteristics of the DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids while simultaneously providing for very high boiling points and relatively stable viscosity over a wide range of temperatures. The best of all worlds, you could say.

I had used the Valvoline Syn DOT4 in my coupe when I built the car. ALL new brake system, bone dry that just needed to be filled! lol

Now that it's been a few years, and a couple of bleed and top-off maintenance events, I am thinking of trying to purge as much of the old fluid as possible and re-fill with the 5.1 stuff.

Haven't quite decided if I'm going to plunk down the big bucks for the high-end stuff, or just run with the regular 'Joe-average' stuff. Probably makes sense to spend more given the summer-only drive status of the ride. Small investment in the bigger scheme of things.

Attachments

• STOPTECH - Brake Fluid Basics.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 287
  • STOPTECH - Brake Fluid.pdf
    109.7 KB · Views: 277

Aspen500

Reaction score
I twisted off both rear bleeder screws on the rear of the imperial in an attempt to replace all the brake fluid.... Has anyone had success in getting stuck bleeder screws out w/o removing the wheel cylinder?
Usually if they're stuck with no hopes of coming loose, they might as well be replaced with new ones. They aren't that expensive and they reduce the frustration level a bunch.

One thing to do with those that do come loose, or new wheel cylinders/calipers, is to cap the bleeder screws. It's amazing what will come loose on Wisconsin cars if the caps are still intact. Most seized screws are from water and salt getting in the opening, not around the threads.

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
One thing to do with those that do come loose, or new wheel cylinders/calipers, is to cap the bleeder screws. It's amazing what will come loose on Wisconsin cars if the caps are still intact. Most seized screws are from water and salt getting in the opening, not around the threads.

That is a great example of experience telling the truth. I never would have imagined it myself, but it is very easy to believe...

NOW lets see if I can get the brake line off with out twisting it in half!!

Back