CHEAP! hydraulic clutch idea's...

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Ok so my car is originally an auto trans and I have everything accept the clutch linkage, making this car look original is not the plan I just want it to be functional and look great. so I am going to go the easy route and install a hydraulic clutch. I looked online and the hydraulic throwout bearing kits are WAY out of my price range. I did however find this and was wondering if anyone had an even cheaper way to go.

The master cylinder is a willwood internal reservoir they have remote reservoirs for the same price around 60 dollars

wil-260-1304_ml.jpg

the next piece is the slave cylinder and it is made by HOWE and is around 45 dollars it is a "pull" type so I would have to make a braket..no problem.

505-829.jpg

to tie them together I found this kit for 32 dollars.

lng-28050_w_ml.jpg

I just would like to know if there are other options because I know a OEM slave cylinder from autozone could be cheaper and so other parts might work just as well and not cost as much. Lets see what we can come up with.

wil-260-1304_ml.jpg

505-829.jpg

lng-28050_w_ml.jpg

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
I wouldn't call putting a hydraulic clutch in an application never intended to have one "the easy way". Time is money, and you'll have a lot of time invested in figuring out where to mount the master so the throw is correct on the pedal, working out a slave location and mounting, etc. You would probably be ahead just spending money on used/reproduction parts to do it the factory way. I have the pedals, pedal pushrod, bellhousing and a 6-cylinder bellcrank for my Imperial. The rest I'll have to fab with parts from Brewer's or another restoration house, and I'll have to rework the bellcrank for the V8. Still easier than screwing around with a hydraulic setup... but then again, I don't like juice clutches either.

That being said, I'd probably look into early Dakota stuff from a V6 application. That's probably going to be your easiest and least-costly option for hydraulics.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
You are right time is issue thats why I cant wait around and buy the mechanical setup piece by piece. I have to whip this car into shape in about 3 months I have plenty of good thick metal to make brackets. Thanks for the advice. I hope there are some dakota's in the junk yard. if not I'm going with the stuff from JEGS.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
i gotta figure out a hydraulic clutch setup to cuz like you said, the kits are EXPENSIVE!
but in my case the only option I have is hydraulic clutch setup since they don't make any parts to put a slant 6 3spd in a 46 dodge truck

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
i gotta figure out a hydraulic clutch setup to cuz like you said, the kits are EXPENSIVE!
but in my case the only option I have is hydraulic clutch setup since they don't make any parts to put a slant 6 3spd in a 46 dodge truck

they are..the original mechanical pieces for my car are hard to find and when they are on ebay its like 50+ each part this way seems much more practical and I like a challenge.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I like the hydraulic clutch idea. More space for headers and such.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I like the hydraulic clutch idea. More space for headers and such.

Yes very true. I fully intend on putting a 5.9 Magnum in this car one day I just am about to get divorced and I need wheels. But that is so true the more things you clear out of the way the more possibilities. :icon_madu:

NoCar340

Reaction score
Dodge trucks used hydraulics as far back as the '60s, so I'm sure there's probably reman stuff available as close as your parts store if you want to do the digging on it. My friend's '67 Dodge D100 slant six was a hydraulic setup, so I'm thinking some of that stuff might be useful--similar pedal "ratio" and probably fairly straightforward in the bellhousing area with minor modifications. Plus, no plastic crap to easily break whilst messing with it. That D100 had an iron master and probably slave--I never really looked at it, and that was over 20 years ago. I know it was a hard line going down towards the trans, though.

Barring the Dakota/factory stuff, I'd suggest you get a Speedway Motors catalog. I'm not a huge fan of their website, but the catalog is chock full of hydraulic clutch goodies for racing and street-rod applications. I've always had great service dealing with them, too, and their pricing is within reason.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Dodge trucks used hydraulics as far back as the '60s, so I'm sure there's probably reman stuff available as close as your parts store if you want to do the digging on it. My friend's '67 Dodge D100 slant six was a hydraulic setup, so I'm thinking some of that stuff might be useful--similar pedal "ratio" and probably fairly straightforward in the bellhousing area with minor modifications. Plus, no plastic crap to easily break whilst messing with it. That D100 had an iron master and probably slave--I never really looked at it, and that was over 20 years ago. I know it was a hard line going down towards the trans, though.

Barring the Dakota/factory stuff, I'd suggest you get a Speedway Motors catalog. I'm not a huge fan of their website, but the catalog is chock full of hydraulic clutch goodies for racing and street-rod applications. I've always had great service dealing with them, too, and their pricing is within reason.

good info i guess I will go through the rock auto list on a few different trucks and I just got my speedway catalog in so I will give it a browse also. Thanks :)

Back