Chrysler question...

53ryder

Reaction score
Am checking out a 1987 5th Avenue. During the 80's which model was top of the line for Chrysler? I have in my head either New Yorker or 5th Avenue, but I really don't know? Thoughts?

Glenn

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
They never really advertised either that way. 5th Avenue was the upscale model package to New Yorker and in the line up pictures they usually started with the cheap Chryslers on one end and 5th Avenue at the other. But New Yorker got the refinements and newer features over the years while 5th Avenue pretty much stayed the same.

Chrycotwo

Reaction score
The New Yorker / Fifth Avenue names were shifted around a bit and it's easy to see why people are confused.

Fifth Avenue was a $1,647 package when the New Yorker name was transferred to the M body from the R body for 1982. In 1983 the series was called the New Yorker Fifth Avenue. In 1984 the New Yorker Fifth Avenue was split into two series with the New Yorker moving to the FWD E body. The RWD M body continued on as the Fifth Avenue for 1984. From this point the Fifth Avenue was considered the top of the line Chrysler, being both larger and more luxurious than the E body New Yorker.

For 1988 the E body New Yorker switched to the Dynasty body while the Fifth Avenue was available into the 1989 model year before being replaced by a new design based on the new Y body. The Y body was a 5" longer E body which was shared with another reincarnation of the Imperial for 1990.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Vancouver, BC

Back