Clifford, the big red car...

ramenth

Reaction score
... is what Jamison named his '81 Cordoba.

Over the summer we had the chance to start working on his J-body. He'd put this thread up himself, but asked me to do it since school is keeping him pretty busy at the moment. He's in his junior year of high school and besides the normal high school thing he's just started in the local vo-tech in the diesel program.

I got the car out of the storage lot and to my shop so we could check it out.

I felt bad for the kid, really, to begin with. The car had a flat tire and I told him to go out and change it. He got the car jacked up and upon removing the offending flat he looked in and saw the left front frame rail was shot. He thought that was the end of the project right there.

Even though the last time he road in this car he was something like 6 or 7 years old he was devastated. He's been looking forward to fixing it up and using it as his driver. I told him not to worry about it. We still needed to get it in and up on the lift and I'd be the judge of what was junk and what we could save.

First, a little back story on the car itself:

His mother and father had a '76 Aspen R/T, 360/727, 8.25 Sure Grip car when Jamison was born. They were heading out of Ithaca, NY, right around when Jamison was 18 months, when they got ran off the road by a drunk driver. Totaled the Aspen, but, thankfully, my sister, Jamison's father, Jamison's sister, and the kid were okay.

But it left 'em in the lurch for a car. My then best friend had told me about a Cordoba sitting on a little buy here/pay here used car lot near where he worked. I'd checked it out but decided I didn't want it. Slant car just wouldn't do it for me and $1200 was a little too much for to spend on a car I knew I want to put work into to make it more my taste. But it suited my sister and her family just fine. They bought it.

The Cordoba was getting a little long in the tooth by the time my sister and her family needed another car, about ten years after I'd helped them buy it to begin with. I traded my '66 Newport 440 powered car to my then best friend for his '90 Daytona and turned around and sold the Daytona to Jamison's father.

When my sister and Jamison's father split up, Jamison's father still owed me some money on the Daytona, so he signed the title of the Cordoba over to me. I never had any intention of doing anything with it, but held on to it for some reason.

When Jamison's sister turned 18, 19 years old I offered it up to her, but she didn't want it and turned around and gave it to Jamison. He was about 13, 14, at the time.

So, now he's 16, got his permit, and decided it would be a good time to start on it. But start on what? The frame rail was gone, so he though the car was junk.

Don't tell me that a car can't be fixed.

Here's the pics of the car when we rolled it in to take a look.

Cordoba.jpg

Cordoba 3 (2).jpg

Cordoba 3.jpg

Cordoba.jpg

Cordoba 3 (2).jpg

Cordoba 3.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
So I gingerly got it in the air where we could take a look. The left front rail is gone. No bigging. But I didn't like the looks of what I was seeing from the left side floorboard. I popped the nuts to the seat bolts and got the interior out.

This is what we found:

Not bad.jpg

Ouch.jpg

Jamison thought that seeing this was the end of the project.

I told him to go look at the floorpans in my Diplomat, sitting there without an interior in it. I knew what he was going to see: the pans are the same. He walked back and forth a few times and realized what he was looking at.

All we needed was a 5th Ave donor car. 5th Ave's are getting harder and harder to find, but can still be had relatively cheap. And after a little conversation with one of our members, A38Valiant, we had one!

Not bad.jpg

Ouch.jpg

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
After realizing that we can save it, Jamison got to work!

Slanty 0.jpg

Slanty.JPG

Empty compartment.jpg

The slant was out in just a few hours.

Slanty 0.jpg

Slanty.JPG

Empty compartment.jpg

Wagonmaster

Reaction score
Yeah the 5ths make great donor cars for the earlier ones. I got a full floor pan from a spotless grandma driven 87. The paint still shined on both sides and not a speck of rust anywhere. They fit right into the 80 Volare wagon.

ramenth

Reaction score
Didn't take long to get the nose ripped off.

Nose off.jpg

Nose off 2.jpg

And the kid was able to stand back and admire his handywork for a few minutes.

inspecting his handywork.jpg

Like I told him, I've saved worse and scrapped better.

Nose off.jpg

Nose off 2.jpg

inspecting his handywork.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
Yeah the 5ths make great donor cars for the earlier ones. I got a full floor pan from a spotless grandma driven 87. The paint still shined on both sides and not a speck of rust anywhere. They fit right into the 80 Volare wagon.

That they do. It helps that they were galvanized from the factory. So if there is any rust, especially here in the Northeast, it's very minimum compared to what we see here.

Wylde1

Reaction score
Good work Jamison. Atta boy!!! :icon_thumleft:

And remember there is nothing you can't do, when you put your mind to it. Sure it will be lots of work to get it done, but it'll be worth the effort in the end.

Keep your grades up and make us proud!

Wylde1.

ramenth

Reaction score
Good work Jamison. Atta boy!!! :icon_thumleft:

And remember there is nothing you can't do, when you put your mind to it. Sure it will be lots of work to get it done, but it'll be worth the effort in the end.

Keep your grades up and make us proud!

Wylde1.

I'll tell you, Wylde, accept for running the lift, the Sawzall, and the torch a couple of times, all this work you see was done by the kid. When I said we could save it, it didn't take him long to get going.

crayzcuda

Reaction score
The suspense is killing me, how is that Cordoba coming?
Good to see a young'en into building the old cars.

ramenth

Reaction score
My insistence is that the kid do the bulk of the work. Since he's busy with school and lives 45 minutes from me it's not easy for him to get to my shop to work on it. Be patient, though, I have pics of the parts car we got from Will and the initial tear down.

I'll have to finish the tear down on the parts car when I get a chance. It's hanging on one my lifts and as busy as I've been it won't be before too long I'll need the extra room. Catch 22. When I'm busy I don't have the time to work on my (our) own s***. When I'm working on my (our) s*** means I'm not making money.

Erics5th

Reaction score
Are you keeping the slant or ditching it? With a little work and some gear, they arn't to bad. Keep up the good work!

ramenth

Reaction score
Are you keeping the slant or ditching it? With a little work and some gear, they arn't to bad. Keep up the good work!

The slant is staying. The Kid is pretty adamant about that. Which is fair enough. The little leaning tower of power is damned good engine. And The Kid likes to be different. So many folks his age are building Hondas, or, in this area, V8 4x's. If he's going to be different why not build a slant powered J-body? :icon_mrgreen:

So far the only planned upgrades to the powertrain is to drop in an 8.25 Sure-Grip I pulled from one of our parted out AHB's to bring the gearing into something more livable with the hills around here and to give it a better rear.

ramenth

Reaction score
Updates! Or parts is parts!

Got some updates for you, guys.

As I said a while back we found a 5th Ave parts car in PA, thanks to one of our own, A38Valiant. Great guy to deal with and didn't misrepresent the car one bit.

So without further ado, here's some pics for your consumption:

This is pretty much the way we picked it up as. Clean shell. Got all the hard body parts we need here for our two projects (the left quarter and the left rocker will be going to Penny.)

Backed the trailer in on the lift to unload it:

parts car.jpg

parts car 2.jpg

off the trailer.jpg

off the trailer 2.jpg

parts car.jpg

parts car 2.jpg

off the trailer.jpg

off the trailer 2.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
Here's pretty much what we were after:

parts floor pan.jpg

parts inner apron.jpg

parts inner apron 2.jpg

I had the kid get to work unbolting what was still attached and clean out a little debris that was in there and sent him to work on drilling spot welds:

parts cuttin'.jpg

I got him a spot weld cutter and extra bits for Christmas. I think he was getting a little bored with unbolting stuff. When I showed him how to use the cutter his grin was from ear to ear!

parts floor pan.jpg

parts inner apron.jpg

parts inner apron 2.jpg

parts cuttin'.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
Jamison hasn't been able to get to the shop and work now for a while because of school and a few weather related health issues so I set about cutting it up for him. (Taking the same parts off the Cordoba are all his! lol)

parts stack.jpg

parts no firewall.jpg

parts bed 2.jpg

parts bed.jpg

parts wheel houses.jpg

parts stack.jpg

parts no firewall.jpg

parts bed 2.jpg

parts bed.jpg

parts wheel houses.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
And we come to what we were after all along:

We gonna see how bad of a job it is to section this whole thing in as a unit. It was no fun getting out, with Chrysler sandwiching the braces between the floors and the rockers.

parts front pan.jpg

And the rear pan

parts rear pan.jpg

With these, and a few body mods along the way the Cordoba will be solid again in reasonably no time.

parts front pan.jpg

parts rear pan.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
Might was well show you the left overs.

I may or not need 'em, but the won't be up for sale until both the J-bod and the M-bod are sitting in primer.

parts trunk.jpg

parts extra 2.jpg

parts extra 3.jpg

parts extra 4.jpg

parts extras.jpg

parts trunk.jpg

parts extra 2.jpg

parts extra 3.jpg

parts extra 4.jpg

parts extras.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
After taking this car apart, spot weld by spot weld, I can see why they hold up so well in the derbies and why Chrysler disputed Volvo's claim of the safest car in the '80's.

I thought I knew lot about the M's before I did this. Now I know a lot more. Never again! My E-body was a walk in the park compared to this.

Back