Clock replacement help needed please.

77Aspyn360

Reaction score
I thought this was going to be an easy install -- and it still may be - but I am feeling stupid. So before I make a mistake and leave a hole in my dash, I thought I'd reach out for some help.

I have a 77 Dodge Aspen R/T - the car did not come with a clock. It has that blocking piece where the clock would go (the plate is all messed up from a previous owner). I was able to get a Digital Clock from a 79 Plymouth Volare in the junkyard. It looked like a simple remove the block and plug in the clock but to my surprise, the block is fixed in place, not screwed in like the clock. It looks as though if I "snap off" the plate, the clock would screw into place as the mounting holes are in the same location as the clock mounting bracket.

Before I remove the block plate, I was looking at how to connect the clock. The unused harness in MY car is a 2 wire clip with a red wire and an orange wire. The harness which is with the clock (I got both connectors male and female when I picked it) has 5 wires. There is a red, an orange, a yellow/black, a grey and a black on both male and female. I was thinking color to color but then what were the other 3 wires for? Do the yellow/black, grey, and the black wire get ignored or do I need to connect them somewhere else?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a digital clock to install into my ’77 wagon, as well – but hadn’t gotten to it yet.

I don’t know about the black plastic dash frame.
I thought it was screw on plate (but hadn’t looked, yet).

The wires:
Power – on all of the time (for clock memory) (not sure on wire color but possibly red).
Power – on when ignition switch is on (turns on the display) (not sure on wire color, but possibly light blue).
Dash lighting (Orange) - dims clock with dash lights.
Ground (black) – ground.
I’m unaware of a 5th wire.

These were a popular dealer add on accessory, so I can’t picture the factory making you replace that black dash structure – for that is not a 5 minute job.

If the blank doesn’t unscrew and there are screw holes that correspond with your clock, then I guess that blank breaks off.

If I remember when I get home, I can look at my clock as well as the dash it came with (I got the whole enchilada from the donor car , including the dash harness).
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes, that blank is meant to be snapped off to install a clock.
As for the wires..............
Red: Battery power (not switched) (red to red)
Orange: Dash light circuit (orange to orange)
Black: Ground
Yellow/Black: Should connect to the headlamp switch Black/yellow wire
Grey????? I show dark blue but by process of elimination that would be switched power. There should be a triple terminal bullet connector near the fuse panel (dark blue) that you can plug into. This is providing a '77 is same as a '79.

Never mind, BudW posted while I was typing. At least we agree on the wiring, lol!
I believe the wire to the headlamp switch dims the display when the lights are turned on and you can still dim it more with the dash light rheostat through the orange wire.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There should be two female triple bullet connectors, one orange and other blue, in almost the same location (behind cluster).

There might be another orange female triple bullet connector closer to the cigar lighter/ashtray (I know it is there for M-body, not sure about F).
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, there are 4 power wires and one ground on digital clocks.
Red (on full time)
Blue (ignition switch, turns on the display)
(black/yellow – not sure on color, but sounds correct) comes from headlight switch to dim (about ½) the display when headlights are on)
Orange – (dimmer switch) allows clock display to be at same brightness as cluster and radio, when you fiddle with the dimmer knob/rheostat).
And ground.

On analog clocks, there is Red (on full time)
Orange (from dash light/dimmer switch)
And ground.

BudW

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
I added a digital clock to mine a long time ago and yes you do have to remove that cover plate. I carefully cut mine out. I`d be a little afraid to just snap it out. Old plastic tends to get brittle and you may break out more than you plan to.

77Aspyn360

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies !! I shouldn't have a problem with it now that I have the correct info !! Thanks again.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of pictures I took this morning. These are from a ’80 Aspen wagon.
The dash harness has been placed in a box somewhere – but the blue bullet is in the same location the connector should be at (roughly).
20170310_084917.jpg

20170310_084948.jpg

20170310_084954.jpg

Note: I deleted pictures, rotated then, re-uploaded them and they are still upside down (sigh).
BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
BudW -- you are too cute.... sounds like me when I try to send a text message and the phone auto-corrects it for me.

I swear that phone is possessed.

Back