Coil bracket

/6Volare

Reaction score
Morning guys.
Had to replace the ignition coil on my sons 77 Volare yestetday and for the life of me couldnt get the old one out of the bracket.
Its positioned in a way that I cant get to the screw that to release tension on the coil. The screw head faces the fuel pump and the alternator sits above it.
How do you access this to remove the coil?

Thanks
Jeff

volare 77

Reaction score
can you just unbolt the whole bracket and then remove the screw and coil?

/6Volare

Reaction score
I can get to one bolt with difficulty bit theres another bolt between the coil and pump with a capacitor there too.
Frusyrating!!!lol

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have always lucked out and not had to replace a coil on a /6 – so no tips there – except:
When you get it removed, turn the bracket upside down – so next time will be easier.
BudW

volare 77

Reaction score
Would it help if you removed the alternator then removed the accessible bracket bolt and swing the bracket and coil down to get to the screw? Or will it hit the fuel pump?

/6Volare

Reaction score
Pumps very close so not sure theres enough room. Guess its time to start dismantling stuff.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Jeff

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Let us know what you did have to do (for the next person in this position)!

/6Volare

Reaction score
Wont get to it till this weekend but looks like i have to pull the alternator.
Let you know what happens.

Jeff

/6Volare

Reaction score
Would it help if you removed the alternator then removed the accessible bracket bolt and swing the bracket and coil down to get to the screw? Or will it hit the fuel pump?
Well...this is kinda what I did. Although when you remove the alternator you need to remove the alt bracket as well. This gives you a bit more room to work. There are a couple lines to work around but its do-able.
I did flip the bracket around so the adjuster screw head points forward. It was the original coil so Im guessing the assembly guy at the factory wasnt paying attention.
Thanks for the help guys.
Jeff

/6Volare

Reaction score
Yup glad its done. Went through the whole car since my son and a friend left yesterday on a 1000 mile road trip across the prairies.
Theyre headed from Winnipeg MB to Banff AB to work for 5 months. In Regina now and it hasnt skipped a beat. Gotta love the slant motors.

volare 77

Reaction score
Not trying to worry you but I hope the distributor gear is fresh too. They break at the worst moments sometimes.

/6Volare

Reaction score
Unfortunately its not. Didnt pull the distributor. I wasnt aware they strip easily.
Are they nylon or brass? Ideas on what causes it?
Jeff

80mirada

Reaction score
They are interchangable. The Nylon ones are available from any parts house. I beleive it was 74-75 when they went to nylon, not really sure, I havent worked on a slant six in 25 years

Back