Cowling Compost

Justwondering

Reaction score
After a discussion with BudW , he recommended I make sure that the cowling area was clean. Pointed out the three black rubber covers on the firewall and suggested I make sure they were free of filth and would run water that gets into the cowling when it rains.

I did two of them ones on either side but missed the middle one until this afternoon.

So gross...
IMG_4036.jpg

There must have been 4 cups of rich compost I tossed out on the ground. I wound up removing the cowling plastic and pulling it out from above because it was so packed.

Then while I was checking for a/c line leaks I found this:
IMG_4035.jpg

One last mondo dirt dobber nest. At least I hope this is the last one.

Trunk carpet was full of water again. So it is airing out tonight and I'll pull the carpet again tomorrow. I'm ever more sure that I need to replace the weatherstripping around the trunk OR maybe I'll wake up in the morning and find someone built me a 4 car garage overnight. he he

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If you have someone who isn't a smartass one good way to check for breaches is to get in the trunk and have someone close it outside. The sunlight will shine through any spots that aren't sealed and you'll find your breach.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Better check out that fancy new padded roof. A lot of the time water would slip behind the roof padding where it meets the window, and head right for the trunk.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Better check out that fancy new padded roof. A lot of the time water would slip behind the roof padding where it meets the window, and head right for the trunk.

That does happen but I'm thinking process of elimination. The trunk would be the easiest first check and chances are fair that the 30 year old gasket might be leaking somewhere. It might have even just shifted off it's track somewhere.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Darth-Car is just jealous of my fantabulous new vinyl roof (with wrinkles, too short corner, and silicone seams)....

Darth-Car

Reaction score
:D That sounds more like something Daisy Duke would have worn rather than a car's roof

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I love this threads title "Cowling Compost"

Who knew performing some maintenance on car would benefit the garden?

BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
It was amazing to me that the entire firewall wasn't completely rusted with all that muck in there. Course now I want it to rain so I can go lift the hood and watch the water run out.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It was amazing to me that the entire firewall wasn't completely rusted with all that muck in there. Course now I want it to rain so I can go lift the hood and watch the water run out.

No need to wait for rain......
I suggest a nice sunny day. A cold adult beverage and a pitcher of water.

Instructions:

Bask in sun. Enjoy beverage. Pour water into cowl. Revel in the fruits of your labor.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
My two cents: the trunk actually doesn't leak much because of the raised lip design that holds the rubber seal. More likely spots would be rear window seal or body seam sealer that has cracked. Another spot could be tail light gasket areas, or anywhere a fastener penetrates the body panels.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Yesterday I stripped the trunk-- removed the jack, spare, carpet, even the cardboard inserts in the rear quarter panels.

There was about 1/4 in water in the bottom of the trunk.

This has to be a recent problem because there wasn't much rust.

Am starting another thread for the trunk...

Back