Craigslist - 1980 Lebaron Wagon

Justwondering

Reaction score
1980 Chrylser LeBaron Town & Country

He's asking 1,500

1980lebaron wagon.jpg

Here's the writeup:
A classic 1980 Chrysler LeBaron Town & Country station wagon. ~70,000 miles.

Rebuilt transmission.

Cranks, runs, drives.

Engine is original with no major work done.

It's 37 years old. It's not perfect. It uses a lot of gas. Burns a bit of oil. It's big, it's slow. Exterior is fair, interior is good. Battery goes dead if I don't drive it at least once every 10 days. A/C does NOT blow cold, heater works great. Front passenger and rear driver windows do not go down, just needs motors.

Not recommended as a daily driver, though I did use it as such for a little while and it was fine on a 60 mile round trip commute for several months with no issues. It's got antique plates so I didn't have to do an inspection here in TX, but it did pass inspection in a previous state a few years ago. Blinkers, reverse lights, horn, wipers, driver window and a general check were performed for that inspection.

Blue book I found on this car in this condition was $4,000+. It's rare, I've never been able to find another one for sale in the last 6 years that I've looked frequently out of curiosity.

Buy it for what I spent for the transmission rebuild 1.5 years ago, give it a tune-up and a once over, understand it's old and has quirks, and you will be happy with it. Do not contact me expecting a show car or something as reliable as a 2015 Honda. It is what it is, an easy car to work on with easily obtainable parts and it's just a fun rare car to own.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Hyup, I can see my HO 367 in there with my trans combo and 4.30s out back. Can you say JUMP!
How about you keep the trans and..................kidding! Texas is just too far away,sigh
Aw who am I kidding, that beast is probably 4500 pounds.........

slant6billy

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. a kid just asked to buy mine. Unfortunately I sold my 81 T&C wagon to Rattletrapmatt 2 years ago. I posted the Craigs link to my youtube channel where the kid asked.

89.Fifth

Reaction score
1980 Chrylser LeBaron Town & Country

He's asking 1,500

View attachment 27915

Here's the writeup:

Rebuilt transmission.

Cranks, runs, drives.

It's 37 years old. It's not perfect. It uses a lot of gas. Burns a bit of oil. It's big, it's slow. Exterior is fair, interior is good. Battery goes dead if I don't drive it at least once every 10 days. A/C does NOT blow cold, heater works great. Front passenger and rear driver windows do not go down, just needs motors.

Not recommended as a daily driver, though I did use it as such for a little while and it was fine on a 60 mile round trip commute for several months with no issues. It's got antique plates so I didn't have to do an inspection here in TX, but it did pass inspection in a previous state a few years ago. Blinkers, reverse lights, horn, wipers, driver window and a general check were performed for that inspection.

Blue book I found on this car in this condition was $4,000+. It's rare, I've never been able to find another one for sale in the last 6 years that I've looked frequently out of curiosity.

Buy it for what I spent for the transmission rebuild 1.5 years ago, give it a tune-up and a once over, understand it's old and has quirks, and you will be happy with it. Do not contact me expecting a show car or something as reliable as a 2015 Honda. It is what it is, an easy car to work on with easily obtainable parts and it's just a fun rare car to own.

Is that anywhere near you?

Justwondering

Reaction score
Its in the same city as my cousin.
A few hours south of me.

Do you want me to have it looked at for you?

Justwondering

Reaction score
it was gonna cost me $460 bucks for an open air transport from northern illinois to Texas last year.

Or this can just be the one that got away ;)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
It is a 13 hour/900 mile round trip for me.
If I had that much $ laying around, I would get it.

A couple of “issues” I see.
First, I doubt that picture is recent. I hadn’t seen mountains in Texas like that before, especially that close to Austin, TX.
80 TnC on CL 01.2018.jpg

Second, I would get rid of those hideous looking hubcaps.

I wish more people were as truthful as this person is. I highlighted some of the points:

Rebuilt transmission.

Cranks, runs, drives.

Now to go figure out what "Blinkers" are. Wait, that's what "blinker fluid" is for, is it not?
I'll go get my kids to look it up for me.

Also - it passed state inspection "a few years ago". Hum - I wonder . . .
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
What, you never sent a teenage kid into a parts store to purchase some “blinker fluid”?
There is a cute video about that online, somewhere.

That said, you will not find “blinker” in the owner’s manual or in any FSM, anywhere.
So, officially, I still do not know what a “blinker” is - other than I should avoid one if I find one in a dark ally somewhere.
BudW

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Likely could be a very nice driver. Never sure what I think of all that faux "wood". On one hand, it's distinctive and unique, but it also tends to warp, wear, and looks "clunky." I much prefer the more clean sided Diplomat wagons, particularly the earlier years.
3f74a20d4ada3bc29e9e0232ad7aebe5.jpg

Back