Cross Country Drive in Aspen RT

MoparJames

Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm new to the forums, but this is not my first FMJ. I had a beautiful 87 Fifth Avenue for a few months that I unfortunately had to sell, but I loved it! Luckily, fate brought me back and I recently bought a 77 Aspen RT 318 T-Top 4spd about 2 months ago. I've been wrenching on it in my spare time in preparation for a cross country drive from California to New York. The car had been sitting unloved for a few years. A cracked input shaft bearing was preventing it from returning to the road. I replaced the input shaft bearing, clutch and PP, rebuilt the Z-bar linkage, new starter and replaced all the brakes and soft lines.

I left on Sunday with my brother and friend and we are having a great time! My buddy picked up a 78 Scout Terra 345 4spd the night before we left. It has been off the road since 1998! New tires and some carb tuning and we hit the road in it. So far, the only problems it's had are weak power steering, and the overflow tank was cracked. We've driven about 1500 miles from San Fran-Reno-Salt Lake City and now we are headed to North Platte, Nebraska tonight. The elevation changes have been very drastic and we really feel the power loss in these beasts. Looking forward to coming down in elevation a bit.

On Sunday night in Reno, we met up with a fellow FMJ Body enthusiast named Bob who very generously gave me the missing AC parts I needed to bring my car back to stock! (Compressor, Condensor, lines, and expansion valve). Thank you so much to him! On Thursday/Friday, we'll be meeting up with fellow forum member silverd1973 near Detroit to pick up a new driver's side T-Top for my car, which was badly broken. Thank you to the forums for connecting us!!

If anyone sees us on the road, please honk and wave or stop and talk! We are roughly aiming to be back in New York by Saturday night, so it'll be long days of driving. Thank you to this great community for keeping these cars and parts alive all these years!

20210822_182659.jpg

20210824_130350.jpg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I wish you would of posted that sooner... North Platte, im less then an hour from there and had room for all and would of given you any F junk you needed, since ive been on a clean out and dumpster mission. As you can tell by the vast openness its rare to get visitors out in the sticks.

Glad you missed the regional hail... this isnt Texas but it dont get much bigger then around here.

MoparJames

Reaction score
I wish you would of posted that sooner... North Platte, im less then an hour from there and had room for all and would of given you any F junk you needed, since ive been on a clean out and dumpster mission. As you can tell by the vast openness its rare to get visitors out in the sticks.

Glad you missed the regional hail... this isnt Texas but it dont get much bigger then around here.
Ah darn, what a shame! Sorry we missed each other. I wanted to post earlier, but I just haven't had a minute to spare. I have been teaching my brother stick while on the road, and yesterday when I posted that was the first few minutes I had to spare while he took over the highway driving.

Back