Cup holder solutions Fifth Ave

R.W.Dale

Reaction score
What have you guys came up with to solve the lack of cup holders in these cars that doesn't involve changing seats.
I have a vintage rubber queen floor console that honestly leaves much to be desired

Pics welcome

Camtron

Reaction score
I normally put drinks between my seat and the B pillar (drink stays in place even when I forget it’s there and open the door) or I wedge them between the drivers/passenger seats.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I normally put drinks between my seat and the B pillar (drink stays in place even when I forget it’s there and open the door) or I wedge them between the drivers/passenger seats.

I used to do that right up until I had to make a panic stop. Ended up dumping 32oz of Coke onto the passenger side floor pan. There was no cleaning that out. Had to replace the carpet.

There just isn't a good way to keep a drink in the car unless you have a proper center console that is secured to the floor. I know you don't want to replace seats, but it is possible to adapt a passenger seat to the driver's mount to give you buckets. Leaves enough room for a proper center console. This is what I ended up doing and it turned out nice. Since it's a factory seat it looks like it belongs there.

R.W.Dale

Reaction score
Excellent point with respect to being secured. The floor hump console I mentioned above is zip tied to the carpet with one of those 24” long jobbers otherwise it would not stand a chance

Hayzoos

Reaction score
I am also using a vintage aftermarket floor console I bought in the '90's. I used in my first FA which has the interior as my current one so a good color match. I cut a 1/2" hole through the carpet and pad to allow anchoring with a screw at the center(-ish) of the console. I cut a short length (cant remember how short) of 1/2" pipe to line the hole and provide a solid stop for the bottom of the console. I then drilled a 1/8" hole through the floorpan and ran an interior trim screw in to thread the drilled hole. I used a step bit to drill the hole in the console with a bevel to accept the trim screw (with beveled washer) and match the bevel for a near flush fit. What I very specifically remember is being surprised how long of a screw (and short length of pipe) I needed to reach the floorpan from the bottom of the console. I actually thought about puting the car up on jack stands and use an inspection mirror to make sure I wasn't accidentally anchoring it through the floorpan and to the transmission. It works well, no tipped drinks. The ashtray misses the passenger side cup, but anything taller than a 12oz can in the driver side won't. I use the ashtray to hold phone charger and cord nicely hidden away. The console can also hold six cassettes or eight CDs, a pair of shades in a perfectly shaped tray and coins to pay those tolls (well maybe not enough coins these days). Pics if I can remember.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I tried mocking up a custom center console out of cardboard a few years ago, but never liked the result and scrapped the idea. The ashtray would non-functional at that point. I think it was 88 or 89 the factory moved the ashtray to the passenger side. I've been looking for those interior pieces for years.

20170718_210805.jpg

R.W.Dale

Reaction score
I’ve had this for a couple years now that I picked up for my 65 Chevy truck that was just too big for it being a stick shift on the floor.

I automatically assumed it was way too big for a car but I tossed it in today and honestly it fits the Chrysler way way better than the Chevy. I might give this vintage Igloo Kool Rest a fair shake. The downside is the cup holes are 80’s sized and don’t fit a lot of modern beverages

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Did you post a pic from passenger side that showed that before? I saw another pic recently with one.

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
Found this at walmart about 2years ago, I've since dyed it to match. It has two cup holders for the back too.

IMG_20180428_073533175.jpg

R.W.Dale

Reaction score
Found this at walmart about 2years ago, I've since dyed it to match. It has two cup holders for the back too.

View attachment 43470

I have one of these in my gambler van I scored for $10 at a yard sale and it would be a good solution for a bucket seat car. The keyed lock on the thing cracks me up though. Like putting a lock on a loaf of bread

Back