Diagnosis Needed on Suburban

Justwondering

Reaction score
I went out to take pictures of the Fifth Avenue this morning for the Monthly contest and found the Suburban has had a failure of some type.

I'd like some help diagnosing likely suspects so I can get it fixed. It has to be running before I spend more on the Chrysler.

Looks like a light oil is leaking down from the backend near the wheel wells and hitting the step rail to drip down the length.

Definitely looks like something blew (gasket, gommet, oring, something) but I don't know what to really look for other than a dark wet spot (of which there are many).

Pictures:
The fluid
IMG_4639.jpg

The symptom:
IMG_4626.jpg

Rear passenger wheel well:
IMG_4624.jpg

Above tail pipe:
IMG_4632.jpg

Above Rear passenger tire:
IMG_4633.jpg

Differential from rear:
IMG_4635.jpg

in front of the rear passenger tire looking up:
IMG_4638.jpg

If I need to provide other pictures, let me know.

Its sitting on dirt so my picture taking was minimal until I see if I can move if successfully and get it on the rock. Any help is appreciated.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
First check your coolant level in the radiator. If it is low you have blown the rear heater core. If that level is ok start it up, and crank up the front, and rear heat. At this point you may see a shower of coolant coming from the rear of the truck. Then you know you have definitely blown the rear heater core. If neither of these items produces negative results, and you get lots of heat from the system front, and rear let's move onto the A/C. Crank up the front, and rear A/C. If they are not cold there is a good chance that you have blown the rear evaporator.

You can fix these systems, but the parts are expensive. Many folks will opt to disconnect the lines that feed the rear heating, and cooling units, in the engine compartment, and cap them off, then just run with the front systems only.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Is there fluid on the brake backing plate? I don't see any on the tire in the photo's though. Does it have an odor like gear lube? If so, suspect axle shaft seal.
Doubt it's a brake line, the one to the rear will be on the drivers side and an axle line would be obvious and with that amount, the front reservoir on the master would be empty by now. Doesn't look like coolant or A/C oil. If it was A/C oil, that'd be a big leak and your air would have quit working already.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Air is cooling fine.
Coolant level is fine.
Master Cylinder level looks okay but I don't know where it normally levels out.

I got in the cab and pumped the brakes. Brother checked all wheels and undercarriage .. no obvious drips.

I turned on the car and pumped the brakes. Same thing.
After about 20 pumps, it sounded like the brakes were huffing air. The shush of a bike tire doing flat every time I pumped the brakes.

I checked the rear wheel again and there was wet spot and drops at the top of the tire.
Removed the rear splash guard and everything is dry above it. No obvious problems with lines. Can easily see the a/c lines.

Took pictures looking down from the top of the tire.

Aspen500

Reaction score
It's on the right side of the front bumper also. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Only thing up there would be the trans cooler (doesn't look like ATF though). The other things up there are the engine oil cooler if equipped, and power steering cooler (also if equipped) but those are on the left side of the radiator.

You always come up with the good ones!:cool:

Looks like the leak is in the front and is travelling down the side to the rear. Unless you've been backing up a lot, really fast:p

The GM trucks are known for having the axle shaft seals leak on the front axle, providing of course that you have a 4-wheel drive. What's it look like under there?
Possible it could run down the axle shaft and get flung off onto the front bumper and then step bars, ending up on the tail pipe.

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
I just got back from town.
Picked up fuel filters for the silverado and the suburban.

Also picked up ramps from my dad. Ours don't look trustworthy.

My current plan is put the suburban front wheels up on ramps.
Then change the fuel filter.
Want plenty of room to exit out from under the vehicle if anything goes wrong and those side rails were just too low for my comfort level.

After the fuel filter change, back it off the ramps and jack up the passenger rear side.
Remove the wheel and see if there is an obvious leak or compromised line.

Engine compartment does not look like there is fluid sprayed around in it. My feeling is the fluid is coming up from the top of the wheel hub ?? and spewing forth. It hits the splash shield. Since it is a light oil it clings to the plastic and runs down the splash shield.

Finds a hole and drains down to the bottom edge of the quarterpanel. Hits the lip of the quarterpanel and catches the rib of the side rail, then drains to the front.

The front bumper has fluid because I have no idea why. Didn't remove that splash guard yet. Once I have it up on ramps I'll be better able to take good pictures.

This is a very pale tan oil, very light consistency.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Put the front wheels up on ramps for the night. Will replace the fuel filter in the morning.

I'm thinking this is one of the long brake lines that runs front to back along the frame rail on the passenger side.

We will see tomorrow.

Question:
What do I clean the undercarriage and the quarterpanels, splash guards with? Fluid is on many items as well as outside paint at the bottom of the quarter panels and the side rail.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I could have sworn the brake lines were on the left side. Usually they rot out between the fuel tank and frame rail and where the lines are grouped together sort of behind the left front wheel well area along the frame. I'm thinking Silverado though, maybe Suburban is different. Lots of Silverado's and Sierra's around here to replace brake lines on (we get the kits right from GM) but there just aren't very many Suburban's running around.

If it is brake fluid, plain old water will wash it right off. Brake fluid is water soluble.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I broke the code the this morning on general repairs.
1. Minimum of 11 trips to the house from under the car to get a tool only to discover it won't work either. Until you do the 11 trips, no tool will work. period.

2. Minimum 2 hours on any repair, no matter how simple or complicated.

3. The job is not complete until your ponytail gets fully coated in dirt.

4. If you start the job while it is still cool in the morning (6am), add 1 hour to #2 above.

The new fuel filter is in the suburban. First test drive of 36 miles is complete and it didn't bog down and quit.

I'm going to clean out the codes and see if that corrects the knock 2 sensor warning.

Meanwhile, what if during one of my 8 roadside fails two days ago, what if I ran over something in a bar ditch and it flung fluid up under the running rail. Then as I drove it flowed toward the front tires or rear tires depending on the uphill/downhill incline of the road.

I'll buy cleaner on Monday's road trip and see if I can get it to drip spots again. No fluid levels are going down. AC is fine and brakes are fine.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'm not gonna start a new thread for this.
This morning at 6:02 am I was out there with the Silverado.
Had the fuel filter changed by 6:48 - shazam!

Now the downside was I got my ponytail saturated with gas.. boo hiss.

This filter had a nut on each side and was easy access. But I think it is original to the truck cause the body of the filter was seriously stuck to the plastic bracket. Finally got it yanked and pulled til it came lose but it slung gas on my hair. Ewwww

Took it for a drive and I think it lost the hesitation at 40 mph that it had before the job.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Took the Silverado to town for 48 mile roundtrip - all the hesitation is gone ! good..

Was going to take the Suburban but it won't start . Well fudge bunny.

Has 1/4 tank of gas, you can hear the fuel pump kick in when you first try to crank it, just cranks and won't start.

Cutting open the fuel filter to see how bad it was ... perhaps some crumbles broke off and headed out to create havoc.

Current weather is brutal ... says its 91 F but feels like 103 F due to humidity. I'll be looking into this after 6 or 7 tonight.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Nothing leaked out of the suburban today.. I've no clue about the fluid.

Pushed on the shrader valve on the fuel line and have fluid.

Still won't start.

After about 6 or 7 tries - pump gas, pedal 1/2 down, no pedal, all pedal, crank short, crank long time, etc. Battery is now dead.

Well lets take a look as we set up the charger .. what's that, can it be a 7 - freaking - year- old - battery?

So, not to let things sit idle. Brother took a hacksaw to the fuel filter. Disgusting. Blacker than coal on the inside. I'll bet it is original to the car.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
SO you think you have fuel, now do your test for spark.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Darth Car -- I contemplated your recommendation and took action. Added 1 gallon of fuel after charging the battery.

Started up with no problem.

Am letting it sit overnight. Will try again in the morning.

I'm guessing the fuel pump is failing?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Even if you can hear the pump motor running, doesn't mean it's pumping any fuel.
The black COULD be remnants of the fuel hose on the pump assy. I've seen them literally turn to goo, usually from fuel with ethanol in it (according to what I have read).

One other thought (yeah I know, yikes! lol) GM's of that era are known for bad fuel sending units. What I mean is, the gauge shows 1/4 tank but it started after you dumped a gallon of gas in so maybe it was really empty and the gauge is wrong(?)

Master M

Reaction score
I'm thinking you should wring out that ponytail back into the gas tank and start that Chevy up ...

Justwondering

Reaction score
If you only knew what else went on today....its just too funny.

I come back upstairs this morning to wash my hands and there is no hot water.
Back downstairs to check the propane tank .. empty.
Dang, now how did that happen?
Didn't I just order propane? Yep, sure did .. in March. I started laughing. Haven't checked the tank in 4 months.
Called and ordered propane.
But while I'm downstairs, I dunk my head in the rain barrel and wash that ponytail. Cause its been nearly 100 for two weeks and that water is plenty warm, even at 8 am.

Life is just one adventure after another out here.

Back