Dipping the big toe

Argos

Reaction score
Greetings All, I've been hooked on cars since I first saw the USA-1 Camaro (don't hate!) at Sutliff Chevrolet in Harrisburg PA. I became a Mopar convert after watching Ronnie Sox row the gears in the '67 GTX. Since then I've built or worked on A, B & E-bodies. Now I'm looking into the F/M/J world for something a little different. I see where most of these cars are /6 & SB based with a few B/RBs thrown in for good measure. I also note some Gen III Hemis starting to find their way into these engine bays. Has anyone ever put a Gen II Hemi into, say, an Aspen or Volare, maybe a Mirada? I'm thinking (SWAG really) if a RB fits & if you can put an Elephant into an A-body, the F/M/J ought to accommodate it (with modifications of course). Anyway, I'm searching for a roller & will be coming here for tech advice on the nuances of whatever I come up with.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
A 440 will fit without a whole lot of trouble with only very minor mods. Of course chassis mods like subframe connectors and an 8 3/4 or similar rear axle, etc would be needed.

The 440 (actually 500) in my '79 Aspen for visual reference.

If you aren't aware, some non-mechanical parts and pieces for F-body are almost unobtainium.

20220704_170212.jpg

20220704_170203.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Aspen500 is right. Some stuff just doesn't exist. There's no good aftermarket for these cars. I've found ebay and Car Part .com (mobile link) to be sources for some really hard to find parts.

Argos

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up & potential parts sources fellas. Aspen500 - the 440 looks like it was born there. I'll post in the engine swap section & explain the plan a little more. Got to get this project underway before the men in the white coats come for me. If the Gen II Hemi thing can't be accomplished without major surgery/PIMA, I've got a 500" 'B'-block that I can fall back on. I've got the driveliine sorted - 727 AT, SS springs & '69 B-body D60. As far as the 'unobtanium' - well, I'll start with the best body I can find. My goal would be to look like a typical mid-70's car with a beast lurking under the sheet metal. Any assistance, especially from those who have done this, is greatly welcomed.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The only gen 2 fitment issue I see possibly would be the headers, Fbodys have a large K frame to get around. The engine bay is Bbody size…

Argos

Reaction score
Thanks Oldiron, good to know. Without me looking, does anyone know if there is a tube style K-frame that might relieve the problem? If not, the existing K-frame might have to go on a forced diet. I checked with TTI today & learned they have Hemi headers that fit an A-body (which is a real tight squeeze) so there is some hope there. If not, plastic pipe fittings & PVC segments can be used to create a pattern & the headers can be custom welded up - it's what hot rodders do, right? Stay tuned.

Back