distributors - opinions

slant6billy

Reaction score
In my winter build of the 360 TBI motor, I have to shop around for a vacuum advance distributor, since going to Carburetor.

My coworker suggested this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-MOPAR...ash=item51b7c594be:g:KsIAAOSwaNBUg6Wa&vxp=mtr

It specifically states you must use a Capacitive discharge ignition (CDI) like an MSD 6A or 6AL. I thought the mopar ignition box was a CDI type, because of the stories that MSD copied Mopar. Anyone got the facts on this and could I use such a distributor on a mopar chrome box ignition?
Any help- thanks

Mcfly68

Reaction score
The mopar regular electronic control modules are NOT CDI discharge modules..they are transistor based modules. CDI will give multiple fires below 3000 rpm. the orange and chrome boxes dont. The gold box will, but will burn up in street use and is wired slightly different. Unless you are planning on buzzing over 6k. turbo/supercharged ( IE need significant ignition energy) etc..the mp orange box is more than enough and the chrome box is wasted

Aspen500

Reaction score
That dizzy is mechanical only and (JMO) I'd be kind of leary about a new dizzy for $39.95. Just saying.

I just checked and it seems the Mopar Perf conversion kit isn't made anymore(?) All they list is the conversion wire harness and your choice of ECU's. Summit has a kit but I've heard the distributors are not exactly what you'd call good quality...........

Midnight340

Reaction score
I just invested in a ready to run MSD based on reviews and recommendations. Tired of problems because I was trying to save money. Molar stock electronic was good, but not if you can't get good replacement parts anymore.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's so true (about the replacement parts), especially what's available from CARQUEST, NAPA, etc for Chrysler electronic ignitions anymore.....Seems 9 times out of 10 the box says "Made in China" which means it might work, it might not. If it does work it may not work right. If it works right, for how long? This is unfortunately true for aftermarket parts for newer cars as well. Some OEM dealer parts aren't any different (Made in China crap), especially GM. Rant over.

If all else fails, and I know some on here are dead set against it and I respect that, like Midnight said a ready to run, plug it in and go MSD or similar set up. I've got the DUI small dizzy/remote mount coil HEI style set up and works like a champ.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The new software doesn't have a thank button????? I will be keeping an eye out for a mopar dizzy for a smallblock on the local Craigslist. So far, I'm seeing a bunch of folks needing to get cash for Christmas and shedding their mopar parts NIB

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The new software doesn't have a thank button????? I will be keeping an eye out for a mopar dizzy for a smallblock on the local Craigslist. So far, I'm seeing a bunch of folks needing to get cash for Christmas and shedding their mopar parts NIB

Nope. Now it's a "like" button.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Billy, I have an NOS Chrysler electronic distributor from an early '80s truck 360. It's dual pickup with both vacuum and mechanical advance; nothing Lean Burn about it. I was going to use it with an RPM-activated switch to change pickups (and hence timing) at higher RPM--up past peak VE it's actually good to add in a little more timing. You could always just use one of the two pickups, of course... leaving you a spare, USA-made original right inside the dizzy should you need it. It's got the NOS Mopar cap (tan alkyd, a la Hemi) and rotor still with it. LMK if you're interested.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Ehrenberg did an article on ignitions not too long ago, and seemed to like the stuff from Firecore (firecore50.com). He also mentioned that the Cardone 1 distributor is a great budget alternative. Needs an ignition box, but it has a mechanical and vacuum advance. Real cheap at Rockauto.com, and carris a lifetime warranty.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Billy, I have an NOS Chrysler electronic distributor from an early '80s truck 360. It's dual pickup with both vacuum and mechanical advance; nothing Lean Burn about it. I was going to use it with an RPM-activated switch to change pickups (and hence timing) at higher RPM--up past peak VE it's actually good to add in a little more timing. You could always just use one of the two pickups, of course... leaving you a spare, USA-made original right inside the dizzy should you need it. It's got the NOS Mopar cap (tan alkyd, a la Hemi) and rotor still with it. LMK if you're interested.
Tried to send you a message, but my inbox won't let me start a conversation.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Tried it and it is just a white screen

Hmmm.....

You should get this.

Screenshot_2015-11-17-19-08-41.png

Then this.

Screenshot_2015-11-17-19-08-51.png

What are you using?
Phone? Computer?

NoCar340

Reaction score
I tried to message Bill, but I got "Your Inbox is full" so I deleted a bunch of messages. The next time I tried, I got a blank white screen too. Twice... ?

slant6billy

Reaction score
I was on the Early Win 7 machine. I'm trying the Wife's newer WIN7. So let's see.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Now I get a server 500 error so I guess it may ne in the middle of something?

Back