Do cop cars still exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsey45acp

Reaction score
Contact seller
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. Have a craving for a mid-eighties Diplomat cop car and thought this would be as good a place as any to start my search. Interceptor engine, heavy duty suspension, spotlight, the whole nine yards. Preferrably BLACK (but not a deal-breaker). Does such a creature exist anymore?

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. Have a craving for a mid-eighties Diplomat cop car and thought this would be as good a place as any to start my search. Interceptor engine, heavy duty suspension, spotlight, the whole nine yards. Preferrably BLACK (but not a deal-breaker). Does such a creature exist anymore?
They pop up every once in awhile...don't hold your breath...most of them are collectable now so they are already in someones collection. Just google Dodge Diplomat cop car twice or more a week and see what pops up. I have a Dodge/Plymouth Gran Fury I could clone into one...

kelsey45acp

Reaction score
It wouldn't neccessarily have to be a cop car to start with. I just figured it would be easier to start with if I could find one with the suspension and the interceptor. Wishful thinkin', I suppose.

kelsey45acp

Reaction score
By the way, am I missing anything that would be different between a cop car and a regular Diplomat? I'm not very familiar with what constitutes a cop car.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
By the way, am I missing anything that would be different between a cop car and a regular Diplomat? I'm not very familiar with what constitutes a cop car.
100 amp alternator...most likey a rear sway bar...and at least a 318 or 360 4 barrel...maybe even a 400..

ramenth

Reaction score
100 amp alternator...most likey a rear sway bar...and at least a 318 or 360 4 barrel...maybe even a 400..

Bigger alternator is correct. M-bodies never got the big block factory and except for the first few years the biggest engine you could get was the 318-4bbl. The hallowed 360 pursuit cars of the '80's were much rumored, never proven. I've seen cop cars with 318-2bbls and even a slant once.

The typical equipment was

an oil cooler, mounted to the hood latch brace with a return line going to a special hollow bolt on the fuel pump to spray oil directly on the timing chain. Chain was a double roller, no quiet gear nylon teeth set up.

Sure-Grip rear.

11" inch rear brakes. (even on the slant car I've seen)

Brass bushing in the block for the distributor

rear sway bar like Eric mentioned.

15X7 "cop" wheels

oil pressure gauge mounted in the dash with a special defroster switch located next to it.

The 318-4bbl had 360 top ends. Maybe that's where the rumors of the 360 came cars from, the uninitiated seeing the 360 intake and thinking it was an entire 360 underneath.

727 transmissions

Most usually have cast iron biscuits instead of rubber iso's on the k-frame, though I have seen others with the rubber mounts.

And I know I'm forgetting more.

Don't let anyone fool you about "cop" torsion bars. The t-bars are the same size as other F/M/J's, the cops got bigger balloon seals.

Look for the AHB code to determine if it's true, though usually the telltales will stand out: the hole in the a-pillar where it used to wear a spot light, the plain jane taxi cab interior with power windows.

And, yes, if you beat the bushes hard enough, they're still out there. I've got my eye on one right now, for a reasonable price.

Reaction score
F and M body cop cars.

All of the info above is correct. I have seen 360 4BBL. In the F-Body cop cars. Most of the Cop cars I have seen had rubber floor mats instead of carpet. They also had certified speedometers and a round dome light about four inches from the windshield that had a push button on the side. I have also seen them with plain vinyl seats as well as the deluxe cloth seats. They also had the auxiliary brake lights on the package shelf by the rear window. Many of them also had a power steering cooler and the bearings nad hub on the front rotors were heavy duty.

Mr Hemi

Reaction score
Just striped a 85 Purple RCMP car, 200 KPH speedo, cloth seats, firm feel, 15x8, 318, rear sway bar, no exit rear doors, power locks.

kelsey45acp

Reaction score
Awesome, guys! I appreciate the info. Although, after seeing the one bremereric posted that went for 41k, I'm a little disheartened. If I spend that much on a ride, I'm gettin' a new Ram! hahaha

8D5 Gran Fury

Reaction score
You can find them cheaper- I traded an AMC 401 and a few hundred bucks for my AHB. It's an '85, white w/dark blue interior, dual spotlights, manual windows and locks, 4-bbl, 92K on the odo and was @ the fire department (all the cop stuff, got piggy backed on a squad order). I know RJ2 has a few solid Cali/Oregon M-bodies left...

LSM360

Reaction score
I don't think anyone mentioned 8.25 rear instead of 7.25 (sure grip was mentioned).Re-enforced rear door striker posts. Five leaf rear suspension instead of four. A rear anti-sway bar along with a larger front anti-sway bar. Upgraded engine internals, and as mentioned, at least the 318 four barrel got 360 heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds. Often engine, trans AND PS coolers. Battery thermo guard, upgraded alternator, water pump and radiator. HD shocks and bushings. Power trunk release with switch mounted close to driver below dash. Did I forget anything?

efriedrich

Reaction score
I know this doesn't exactly answer you question but if you want a cool M body there are still lots of nice 5th aves around, I got a low mileage one owner honey for 1500 just a few months ago. I have seen a few for sale like it since for under 2000.

res1vw21

Reaction score
We have one at work that my boss is thinking about selling. It was a fire department car but has all the cop stuff except someone swapped out the 3.21 sg 8.25 for an open 2.91 8.25.

It runs and drives and is white.

Car is in the Seattle area and if your serious send me a PM and we can start talking.

YY1

Reaction score
Certified speedometer?

Also some had bucket seats. In a 4 door that's a giveaway.

I've seen quite a few fleet vehicles that look like cop cars (and probably were bult to that spec), but were used as fire chief, and other city/county/state vehicles.

Last one I saw was red, had the buckets and cert speedo, but no evidence of light bar, rear seat cage, or spot light.

Sometimes you can still lfind shotgun mounts and radio parts.

lowbudget

Reaction score
I know where there's one in a boneyard with all the goodies still on it. I can't remember what shape the rest of the car was in. The owner was saving it for one of his projects. They have a lot of goodies on them.

YY1

Reaction score
Taxi packages also look like cop cars, but chances are they've either been less carefully maintained, or at least have had a much harder life.

Wagonmaster

Reaction score
They got the firm feel steering box also. Made a world of difference compared to the stock box.

The engines usually had moly rings and a windage tray, silicone hoses. etc

Not all of them got the sure grip, Most of them got the 8.25 with 2.94 gears.

They've got a wealth of goodies on them. Im using the trans and oil coolers on my F body wagon with the big block. (I only paid $200 for an 83 Gran Fury cop car, mainly needed the driveshaft)

res1vw21

Reaction score
It's an '88. Runs and drives just needs the alt wiring fixed (we have all the proper high output wiring to fix it and can do it easily) The catalytic converters are loose so it wont pass smog right now but being an '88 that won't matter in 2 years.

It comes with a good grill and tail light to fix the broken ones.

Blue interior, bench seat has rugs (fire department or sergeants car) Interior is in nice condition.

Very minimal rust only 2-3 spots smaller then a quarter that I saw today.

It's got all the police stuff (firm feel ps, oil cooler, spot light, rear sway bar, big brakes, cop wheels, ect.....) except the rear end that someone swapped back in the day (8.25 2.94 which was the other standard rear end apparently)

Obviously it needs a repaint, perfect to make into a black and white or whatever color tickles your fancy.

I will try to get pics of the fender tag and interior this week.

Asking $2k. Runs and drives

1129111600.jpg

1129111558.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back