Do we have any musicians here?

SlantSixSullivan

Reaction score
Chances are, if you're into classic cars, you're probably into classic rock as well! Or some good old country, blues, folk...whatever! So, I'm curious, do we have any musicians here? Personally, I'm a young guitarist and singer. Let's talk rock and cars! What do you like? What do you own?

brotherGood

Reaction score
There's a similar thread here somewhere..don't remember what it was called though.

But, I play and build guitars. Most of my playing consists of just jamming in the spare bedroom to anything from top 40, classic rock, metal, Christian music, Edm stuff..just whatever I can put in my headphones and play along to. I've tried venturing to country, blues, etc...it's just not as easy as the other stuff..lol

I do however play live for my church..I'm in the process of getting another band together since the last one disbanded and we've been stuck to using videos. Here's the fun part......

My main guitar is a replica of the guitar on the cover of Van Halen 1. My tone is based off of the Van Hagar Era, but slightly different.. (I'm not that obsessed). My playing style is heavy and fast, which make the church music so much fun. Palm muting, heavy distortion, harmonics and tapping are all things that don't often happen in church, but they do when I'm up there.

I'm in the process of gathering tools (dad sold the wood shop, so I'm at a standstill) to build a couple Les Paul copies, and a couple Wolfgangs...all while trying to ok it with the wife.

slant6billy

Reaction score
A long time ago in galaxy far away..... When I did not have a wife, kids, and a day job that sucks the living soul out of me and my will to live:

Justwondering

Reaction score
I was living in west texas about then... the devil's music was not allowed and certainly no dancing. lol my oh my how my life changed when we moved 'to the city'.

Aspen500

Reaction score
LOL, devils music:D

I USED to be able to play the piano, organ, clarinet and tenor sax. Now days, I'd have no idea where to start. Reading music and playing an instrument isn't like riding a bicycle apparently.

My mother could play the acoustic guitar and sing like nobody's business (and play piano and organ). I mean she was awesome, until the MS made it impossible for her in the early 1990's unfortunately. I miss her music, and especially miss her, big time (passed in 2009).:(

Personally, I couldn't sing a note to save my life, seriously. I can't even stand to listen to myself :eek:

Justwondering

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying.
My brother said (and I quote) -- 'you sound like a calf out in a hail storm, are you okay?'
Yes, I'm okay. My singing is dicey.. I can't carry a turn but I have great enthusiasm.. lol

My mom died in 2012 and I miss her every day.

Tell your mom, in your prayers, to visit with my mom (Helen). She would enjoy meeting someone new.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I figure why give bands money when I can write and produce stuff I actually like.

Fame has it's draw backs.
Can't go out as a average person.

But it also with fame you can go where the average person can't go.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I was living in west texas about then... the devil's music was not allowed and certainly no dancing. lol my oh my how my life changed when we moved 'to the city'.
I was raised in a strong Irish Catholic Household, but at a young age the local Catholic school was employing some real train wrecks of teachers. So at the end of 4th grade my parents pulled me out and into the public school I went. I actually started to learn. The Nuns and the Lay teachers were so jaded, hate'n on America and hate'n on males. It explains my issues with Authority and my addiction to slutty women or women in heels, short skirts, etc...... too much church'n. all through highschool and College, I had a propensity for girlfriends in leather/spandex and heels. I used to hear a lot of negative comments from folks on my female companions. So Patten leather over the knee heeled boots and a short skirt was in appropriate for family get togethers? So skip ahead 30 years and the "hooker" look is acceptable now? Luckily my wife is more conservative and has never been into the hooker look. She don't dig my musician days, she don't dig my hair down my back, and she especially can't stand my addiction to mopars. I guess she is my ying to yang. Otherwise, I 'd own a bunch of guitars with pointed headstocks and abouth 30 more mopars. Somebody has to be the adult, because it is definitely not me.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'd rather see the dita von teese burlesque look where there is some mystery rather than the see through dresses, nipples and hooha's hanging out. That just looks lame.
I always imagine how horrid that's gonna look in a few years as gravity takes over.
Course, they will be standing next to the guy with a beer gut and their rose colored glasses won't notice anything out of kilter.

Billy, ain't nothing wrong with a little leather.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I'd rather see the dita von teese burlesque look where there is some mystery rather than the see through dresses, nipples and hooha's hanging out. That just looks lame.
I always imagine how horrid that's gonna look in a few years as gravity takes over.
Course, they will be standing next to the guy with a beer gut and their rose colored glasses won't notice anything out of kilter.

Billy, ain't nothing wrong with a little leather.

My Ex wore very little leather skirts.... HAHAHA!

Now sexy is IMHO - in my humble opinion that is, a woman that has a cool head in tuff times, brings a paycheck, and is on top of things. Things being; making sure bills are paid and other responsibilities are in control.

My wife is the one telling me to turn the Zakk Wylde down........ only to find, it is me ripping the artificial harmonics.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I was getting in bars before I was 14.
That was like a kid in the candy store then.
Then at 14 I was touring Europe.
Young and wasted in Europe.
Times change.

SlantSixSullivan

Reaction score
I've been playing guitar since I was 9. I got my first axe for Christmas, a left-handed Ibanez electric. I gave it up for a year, sold my guitar to a friend. I became interested again, and bought a right handed guitar. I had to string it upside down and play it Hendrix style. I played that way for 8 years, before switching back to lefty. Then it was like learning all over again! I can actually play it both ways now, upside down and regular. I recently took up singing.. a Robert Plant style, as Zeppelin is my most influential band. I play twice a year at a local home for special needs patients, and every so often at house parties and open mic nights and at festivals. It's fun to get out there by yourself or one other guy, and just jam.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Round here, the 14 year olds have been driving the tractor and helping with hay harvest since they were 11. They look forward to being 15 so they can get their hardship license to drive on the street.

Very different than in the city (wait til you are 16 to take driver's ed).

Some of the parents still have kids living at home in their late 20's. Weird world out there now.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I had cars at 13, but didn't get bother to get a real license until I was almost 19.

Back then a $100 driver's Ed. course would save you even more than that on insurance.
Driver's Ed. guy looked at me and asked 'why are you taking this course?'

LOL,I was driving the Autobahn at 15.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Been doing the music thing for years. I have a professionally trained voice, and was professionally trained on organ, clarinet, and tuba. Thanks to the clarinet, and tuba I gained a beautiful wife; but that is another story.

I actually have been recently given my dream organ, a 1982 Rodgers, three manual console. My problem now is how to get it out of the choir loft, at the closed church.

Back