Door Window Seals (Oddity)

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
I know that these things dry out and wear out over time but in my 85' Fifth, I've noticed that the driver side window seal has been the one to tear and slowly shrink now to the point where the top of the window seal is at a quarter of its original length.

The other window seals in the car aren't attributing any type of shrinkage or wear at all. I wish I could keep this thing garaged but I can't. The car has 360 degrees of equal weather exposure so do you think it's just the luck of the draw?

Lastly, is it for these Model M's, are we just SOL when it comes to finding replacement window seals? My local mechanic (who worked on the city fleet of Diplomat's years ago) suggested I go to a local rubber company but they don't want to be bothered for such a small job and I can't say I blame them.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I need seals replaced on all the doors so I've sent off for some catalogs to see if I can find a profile similar enough to work.

Aspen500

Reaction score
My theory on the shrinkage, other than cold water ;), is maybe the drivers seal was made from a different batch of rubber that wasn't made correctly, or something like that?
I've seen it on cars before where the car has multiples of some part and they're all like new except one which is disintegrating for no obvious reason. As you said,,,luck of the draw.

89.Fifth

Reaction score
These are the ones I ordered. Fit was OK. Closest I could find.
WC2196.jpg

Metro Moulded Parts ~ Top Quality Automotive Weatherstripping and Rubber Parts

There's more here, you just have to take good measurements.

Metro Moulded Parts ~ Top Quality Automotive Weatherstripping and Rubber Parts

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
That part is rock hard and cracked/broke about 2/3rd up on L/F door on my 5th Ave.

The same part on my wagon is still soft and pliable.
BudW

Back