Driving Requires Attention

ramenth

Reaction score
'Cause the conversation you're having is a lot more important than the lives of the people around you.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
'Cause the conversation you're having is a lot more important than the lives of the people around you.

Exactly.
You're responsible for governing 3000+ pounds of metal.
Try to pay attention.
It dumbfounds me how people forget common sense physics.

Good hit though....go big or go home.

ramenth

Reaction score
theres a lot of people with book smarts, but they have absolutely no street smarts or common sense

A even more people lack all the necessaries of being able to think.

Kinda reminds me of the area where I used to live. The street was maybe two hundred yards long and I lived two-thirds of the way up. I came rolling up one day, like I usually did, the truck in second gear just idling up the street. Living between two elementary schools a lot of kids walked up that street and it was best to take it easy and watch out for kids. Good thing I'd gotten into that habit, too, because, sure enough, here come running out of yard to get into a car, just as I was pulling up. My across the street neighbor and her sister were out front. As soon as I got out the truck they started screaming at me to slow down.

"Ummm... excuse me.... I was doing 20mph."

According to them I was doing 50 and endangering the sister's kids.

"Okay, first of all, I was idling up the street. Second of all, keep your kids where you can see and teach 'em not to run out in the street when a car is coming."

"You should just slow down, my kids were trying to get in the car!"

"Lady, you're so full of shit it's not even funny. You're standing right there with your kids and it's my job to keep an eye on 'em? You're the mother keep an eye on 'em. You have a nice big driveway over there to park in, quit parking on the street if it means you haven't taught your kids to run out on the street in front of traffic."

"Don't swear in front of my f***ing kids!"

More hilarity ensued as I made 'em even madder standing there smiling at 'em. By this time all the kids were packed in the car and the sister got into to take off. But not before she immediately grabbed her cell phone and squawked the tires of the van as she flew down the street.

Right. See this is the mentality of a lot of people. Supposedly I endangered the life of her kids, when it was the slow speed I was going that saved her kid's life. Then, in telling me I endangered her kids' lives she couldn't put down the damn cell phone long enough to actually... you know... be a mother and put her kids' lives above whatever inane conversation she felt was needed to conduct her life. (Her above her kids.)

People are selfish no doubt it. It's like getting that one asshole in traffic, weaving in and out, cutting people off. He's in such a hurry that he's willing to cause an accident to prove it when he's not really gaining any time. He'll be sitting at the same red light I will be and he's got there first. To sit longer.

I have a cell phone. I used to run my business with one. I'm one of the few people I've ever seen who, when the cell phone rang, would step out of line at the grocery store or at the bank, if it was a business call which couldn't wait. I'm conducting business with the teller or the cashier at the moment, he or she deserves my undivided attention, as well as my respect for waiting on me. Most people will just stand there and yak, yak, yak - loudly, like the rest of us want to hear the conversation - treating the person they are currently doing business with like he or she is beneath one's notice.

You see it all the time. The person on the phone is the most important person in the world. Just ask 'em, they'll tell you.

Wanna know why the world is in such a shape as it's in? R-E-S-P-E-C-T. No one knows what it is. It's not being taught, it's not being enforced.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Cant argue there..lol. Some of the people I see on the road amaze me.

Our town recently incorporated a roundabout, at the busiest part of town..right in the middle of downtown. Where two major state routes intersect nonetheless. The driving I see go on there is amazing. You have your "im the most important in the world" people, your cell phone/texting people, the people that don't know how the roundabout works, the ones who aren't sure where they need to go, the ones who don't look for pedestrians (there are no stop lights in the roundabout), and my favorite, the ones who are scared/yield to the right as well as left. Its a good thing neither one of my cars have a horn...I'd be on it daily.

Stupid

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
People who drive like morons eventually get their wake up call
Like our friends in that video...
The REALLY stupid one's don't even learn from that....

slant6billy

Reaction score
GOOD POST. On a more serious note. I lost a very good friend a year ago March 4th due to a driver who was high and texting. My friend was a brilliant engineer - who I could rely on during some very tough engineering courses. She was also a mom and a wife which matters even more. The stupid shit bastard will never know the pain he has caused, truley. http://limerick.patch.com/groups/po...s-to-dui-in-crash-that-killed-limerick-jogger

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
GOOD POST. On a more serious note. I lost a very good friend a year ago March 4th due to a driver who was high and texting. My friend was a brilliant engineer - who I could rely on during some very tough engineering courses. She was also a mom and a wife which matters even more. The stupid shit bastard will never know the pain he has caused, truley. http://limerick.patch.com/groups/po...s-to-dui-in-crash-that-killed-limerick-jogger

First off.....I'm very sorry to hear about your friend
That's truly a tragedy.......
And that's the point.....I see so many a holes driving like they think they're a trained driver on a track when in reality they're a stupid idiot just knocking the odds digit counter down till they ruin someone's life.
The two idiots in the video (yes both of them are idiots) got off so easy it's a miracle....that could have been a VERY bad crash.
People need to grow a freakin' brain and comprehend the fact that the act of driving is a tremendous responsibility and requires undivided attention at ALL times. I don't care if you're late for work, in a hurry to pick up your kids or your damn diaper is leaking.....in time the odds will boil down to this...
Pay attention, smarten up or die......pretty simple really.

ramenth

Reaction score
First off.....I'm very sorry to hear about your friend
That's truly a tragedy.......
And that's the point.....I see so many a holes driving like they think they're a trained driver on a track when in reality they're a stupid idiot just knocking the odds digit counter down till they ruin someone's life.
The two idiots in the video (yes both of them are idiots) got off so easy it's a miracle....that could have been a VERY bad crash.
People need to grow a freakin' brain and comprehend the fact that the act of driving is a tremendous responsibility and requires undivided attention at ALL times. I don't care if you're late for work, in a hurry to pick up your kids or your damn diaper is leaking.....in time the odds will boil down to this...
Pay attention, smarten up or die......pretty simple really.

One of the issues I've been saying for years. If you have the divided attention on your job, you're gonna wind up getting fired. One of the reasons most companies don't allow personal cell phones on the floor. If you give your job your undivided attention, then do the same damned thing with driving. Rather you going to the store or driving back and forth work, driving, in the moment at hand is your damned job. Concentrate wholly on it!

Again, though, it speaks of the mind of the typical (North) American citizen. Those who think they can multitask usually can't, but ego says otherwise. And we all know ego has little do with reality.

It also speaks a lot about the consumer driven society we are. Notice the ads for the new cell "phone?" Notice they mention nothing about being "phones," but instead concentrate on the peripheries? Bigger screens, vid streaming, download capacity, etc? That's because actually talking on the phone has gone as far as it can and the peripheries are all anyone cares about. Otherwise there would be no phone market, because when you strip away all the bells and whistles actually talking on the phone is all the same, no matter how much you pay for the damned thing, no matter what brand it is.

And don't even get me going on text speak. I simply will not deal with anyone who uses the crap. Especially in this day and age of full keyboards, rather slide out or touch screen. It shows a laziness I don't have time for, pretty endemic of society around us.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Reminds me of this idiot in Houston that close down the whole freeway.

All north- and soundbound lanes of the North Freeway near Airline were closed Tuesday evening as workers removed a traffic sign damaged by a dump truck.
The cause of the bizarre accident is unknown. The dump truck driver could have accidentally hit the button that triggered the arm or there might have been a mechanical failure, officials said.
The driver noticed the trailer was up when it hit the sign, police said.
"It's butting up against the sign and is basically stuck there," Massie said. The structure holding the signs stretches across both lanes of the highway.
By 8 p.m. Tuesday, traffic on both sides of the freeway had been diverted.
No injuries were reported.
The 16-wheeler was northbound around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday when, for some reason, the truck's hydraulic arm extended, causing the trailer to lift up, Houston police said.
Raised into the air at nearly a 90-degree angle, the empty bed smashed into an overhead beam near the Airline exit, striking a green interstate sign, Houston TranStar spokeswoman Dinah Massie said.

628x471.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Reminds me of this idiot in Houston that close down the whole freeway.

All north- and soundbound lanes of the North Freeway near Airline were closed Tuesday evening as workers removed a traffic sign damaged by a dump truck.
The cause of the bizarre accident is unknown. The dump truck driver could have accidentally hit the button that triggered the arm or there might have been a mechanical failure, officials said.
The driver noticed the trailer was up when it hit the sign, police said.
"It's butting up against the sign and is basically stuck there," Massie said. The structure holding the signs stretches across both lanes of the highway.
By 8 p.m. Tuesday, traffic on both sides of the freeway had been diverted.
No injuries were reported.
The 16-wheeler was northbound around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday when, for some reason, the truck's hydraulic arm extended, causing the trailer to lift up, Houston police said.
Raised into the air at nearly a 90-degree angle, the empty bed smashed into an overhead beam near the Airline exit, striking a green interstate sign, Houston TranStar spokeswoman Dinah Massie said.

Talk about a wheelstander!!
How on earth could you not know the bed was up??

kkritsilas

Reaction score
From what I see in the picture, it doesn't look right. In all of the vehicles we have here, when the bed is raised, the rear wheels stay flat on the ground. In this picture, the wheels are at the same angle as the bed, which is not really normal. I don't know what happened, but the picture and the description of what went on don't seem to be in agreement. Maybe this is some sort of setup I haven't seen before, or am unaware of.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
From what I see in the picture, it doesn't look right. In all of the vehicles we have here, when the bed is raised, the rear wheels stay flat on the ground. In this picture, the wheels are at the same angle as the bed, which is not really normal. I don't know what happened, but the picture and the description of what went on don't seem to be in agreement. Maybe this is some sort of setup I haven't seen before, or am unaware of.

Kostas

If he blew a hydraulic hose when he hit would the hydraulic close?

NoCar340

Reaction score
Not in that position. The retraction of the hydraulic cylinder on dump setups is usually just a release of pressure behind the piston, rather than a pressurized operation. The weight of the dump box is more than enough. In other words, had the chassis & axles been level with the ground, yes--the weight of the dump bed would push the cylinder back, resulting in a huge puddle of hydraulic fluid and the bed ending up level with the ground as well. Similarly thinking, with the hydraulics torn apart the chassis should've dropped down to the road with no pressure behind them to hold the chassis at an angle.

I'm at a loss as to how this happened, but that box appears to be in the "down & locked" position relative to the chassis so the explanations given don't make sense. I'm with Kostas on this one.

alf44

Reaction score
in that crash. i wonder what car or truck they were driving? what ever it was must of been a good ride to not be hurt in that crash. pretty safe ride they were in

Back