Drop spindles vs lowering torsion bars

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Ive been thinking about lowering the doba and trying to go a little bit more towards the pro touring look. I plan on doing 2" lowering blocks w/ coilovers (load leveling) shocks in the rear and was either thinking about doing drop spindles or lowering the torsion bars to 2" as well. The only thing that gets me is cost. Is it better to get the drop spindles or would I be ok with just lowering the bar? What would be your pros and cons to this situation? Let me know.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Drop spindles is the best way. backing off the torsion bars will change steering geometry and shorten travel to the bump stops. It will also tend to be more "squishy" feeling

Aspen500

Reaction score
Drop spindles are the way to go. As jasper said, just cranking down the bars will screw up the geometry.
One thing to keep in mind, the drop spindles will be the same as moving the lower ball joint down 2" in relation to the wheel so wheel size also has to be considered.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
  • Thats odd what you say, I am no spring expert but the car goes up and down on the torsion bar, the adjustments are for ride height (weight doesn't change) so dunno how they go squishy, mine is right down at the front and not squishy, rides the same, doesn't hit the bump stops (I have FF UCA) The alignment shop was able to pull the caster up to 5 degrees and set the toe in/out all ok. Holds a dam nice line now! Oh I also have had my steering gear rebuilt in NZ but done to what FF in the USA do and have FF solid pucks). Also the addco sway bars help as well, you wouldn't think you were driving a bagy old cruiser, drives more like a modern car now. Just amazed at how it goes really! Only issue I have if you are driving and hit a bump in a corner the car jumps across the road a bit, suspect thats more to do with the sold rear end though.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
I think they're like a dual purpose for ride height and stiffness I would assume. I've also seen that possibly upgrading the torsion bars can also help in lowering the car as well. I guess it would kind of act like if you had lowering coil springs, yes it would affect the steering geometry, but wouldn't you be able to have that adjusted out during alignment? Either way drop spindles or not the car would still have to be realigned.

80mirada

Reaction score
A drop spindle will simply change the position of the wheel relative to the suspension. The suspension can then be set up at the designed position.

Lowering by turning the torsion bars down repositioning the suspension to a different part of the travel arch, you are giving up suspension jounce travel. The less jounce travel you have the faster the suspension will hit the lower bumpers, and then handling can become very unpredictable. Firm Feel torsion bars can help with that, the higher spring rate slows the reaction rate down as will better performance shocks (KYB, FFI Bilsteins, or Vikings) will dampen the motion faster/better than basic shocks.

FMJ bodies and late B bodies both seem to tolerate being lowered better than earlier cars, but each car is different due to production tolerances and wear and tear.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
So;your car has already been lowered via the t-bar adjusters right?And you have a bigger Sway bar, right?
You don't mention HD shocks, but you say it's not hitting the stops, so I have to conclude that the shocks are in fact HD, or HD to some extent.
And you say your car doesn't hold a line thru a turn.
And the alignment shop pulled your stuff around to get 5* of caster,right?
So now we get into it;
The alignment specs are for straight ahead driving only, and at the proper ride height, and only apply when both sides of the front suspension are at rest .Think about that for a minute.
The only time this happens is when you are cruising in a straight line on a dead-flat,dead-smooth road. Think about that.
So what's happening the rest of the time?
There's the rub.
The manufacturer has designed his front geometry with several built-in features. Firstly; notice that the upper and lower control arms are not the same length. That means as the the suspension cycles vertically, the wheel leans in and out; and that is called camber change.Camber change is necessary to minimize the contact patch from sliding sideways during a turn when the ride height is different, and changing, from one side to the other. If they did that, they wouldn't last very long.In a moving vehicle, the camber is constantly changing,a bit.But more so when being steered.
Secondly, notice that an imaginary line drawn through the upper BJ and the lower BJ, is not vertical. And notice that, as the suspension travels up and down, the angle of this imaginary line changes a bit. This is called caster change. In a moving vehicle, the caster is constantly changing, a bit.But more so as the suspension cycles up and down.
And then we come to Akerman. When the car is put into a turn, each of the front wheels has to travel a different sized circle To do that, each of them has to be steered a different amount. Mr Akerman designed it to that with just one steering-wheel input; smart man.Think about that. If each is steered a different amount, then each has a different camber, and each may have a different caster, and obviously the toe setting is ridiculously different.In a moving,turning, vehicle, the angles are all over the place,a bit.
Let's stop there, cuz the point has been made.The alignment specs are for a vehicle at rest with the wheels pointing straight ahead. The manufacturer specifies a ride height at which the alignment is to be performed, because he knows that at this ride height, all the ever-changing angles will play nice together, and the front end will do what he designed it to do, and the tires will last a reasonable time period.

Then along comes Brucey, who doesn't know any of this, and he changes the ride height;mistake #1. And then he jacks 5* of caster into it;mistake #2. And then the alignment guy cranks the toe back so the tires don't go up in smoke when the car is traveling in a straight line.That was a good idea; But the mistake(#3) he makes, is; he doesn't check the toe change with suspension travel, and the ensuing bump-steer.He is not required to, so,technically it's not a mistake. Had you known about all this monkey-motion, you might have asked him to check the bump-steer, but you would have suffered the upcharge for it.
Wait;What? What's bump steer? Glad you asked. Bump steer causes a car to travel a different line through a turn, than the one you commanded with the steering wheel.Remind you of anything? I thought it might. Bump steer is caused by the toe change that occurs when the suspension is moving up or down in a turn. In the Chrysler system, this toe change is part and parcel of the design. But the designer knew that, and the front ride height was selected to minimize it or average it out between full compression and full extension. In the factory design they actually did a pretty good job, keeping it to a minimum. But when the car is lowered and the caster is cranked, then the toe-change is maximized during turning as the suspension cycles.
And you have just experienced that result.
Correcting bump-steer is not something easily done.
I was an alignment tech for many years.When I lowered my 68 Barracuda, and cranked caster into it, It took me about 8 hours to correct it. It probably takes a half hour just to check the pattern, after the car is all loaded up on the alignment rack.Then you have to figure out what to do, do it, and take another pattern.That's another hour easy enough, so 1.5 total so far. After 2 or 3 attempts, a sharp guy can get it close.Now you are up to about 4 hours. After that, gains are minimal, but being the kindof guy that I am(no not anal), it took at least 4 more hours to approach the factory design. And you probably won't be interested in paying 8 hours of shop-time! So the best idea is to leave everything where the factory put it. Or put up with the self-steering business.
I suppose I should also tell you that with the car lowered, the soft T-bars, and stock shocks, will allow the suspension on the outside of any sharp enough turn, to settle onto the bumpstop, and you won't even feel it. This is not a bad thing, until you hit a bump in the middle of the turn, with the forementioned messed up alignment.This has put more than a few guys into the weeds. But hey, if you drive a stock-car, you should be able to handle the surprise.
Now, let's take another look at the 5*.
Do you need it? Well if you never spend more than a few seconds of time traveling in a straight line over the speedlimit, then no you don't. 5* is great for straight-line stability, so a long trip makes it easy to fall asleep. And when traveling triple digits, or near triple,Yeah, THAT I notice is much more stable; in fact the car now likes it up there, which I was loathe to go to with the factory specs.
But around town,nah. You will never notice a difference in a power-steering equipped vehicle. I think I might say that going from just 1* to 3.5*, my car might be ever-so-less-likely to follow a slight rut. But that could easily be attributed to a change in tire pressure.
So back to the beginning.
By installing the drop spindles, you can return the alignment to something nearer to stock,and let the Chrysler Engineering work for you.(I mean the original engineering team probably spent hundreds of hours working out the kinks of it.) However, I would still recommend to get your toe pattern at least checked after they are installed.
But of course I just gotta ask why you are so interested in lowering your car that far? It's a 'Doba right? It already looks pretty low,right from the factory.

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you are really doing something unusual – always stick to the factory ride height and suspension specs.
If you want to raise or lower the car, the best option is to get spindles.

As mentioned earlier, drop spindles will get the wheel into the lower ball joint (or upper ball joint on raised spindles) – so a larger diameter wheel will be needed (at least a 16” wheel for a 2” drop).

Note: there are a lot of aftermarket spindles out there. Be sure to get one that is heat treated/hardened otherwise you will get a “soft” one – which can lead to a bad day.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I am not going to say what I have done is perfect, I would say that F/J/M bodies cars are basically 1950s technology,(don't get me wrong I like the torsion bars) modern cars now run heavier steering, gas shocks, sway bars front and rear, more caster, independent rear ends and stiffer body shells. You may think Chrysler engineering design was perfect but in general I think it was pretty sloppy! As for jumping around corners I have had that on cars with solid rear axles, I don't think it is to do with front end alignment, I have no bump steer! Mustangs had bump steer! NZ roads whats left of them after the quakes north are windy roads! I think you guys in the USA would call them goat tracks compared to your long straight free ways! My car handles well now, steers beautiful, does not have bump steer, I dunno what you guys did when you did it but has worked a treat for me!

I think the design of the cars suspension is very sound and what they knew then they know now. I think you would be surprised at how my car goes for a road car.

Last edited:

80mirada

Reaction score
The biggest problem with the FMJ front end is spring rate is a little light, but it is much better than many of its contemporaries. The design ride height is actually lower than the specified ride height as well. I had mine set two and a half inches lowered and it handled well but the k-member kissed too many drive ways, and the one highway on ramp could force the outboard lower control arm against the bump stop.

The ideal way to lower an independent suspension is always to raise the axle height rather than compressing the suspension.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
You say you have no bump-steer; so I have to assume that you have mapped out and corrected it?
If you have not, and the alignment has been changed, with a non-stock ride height, and the caster is at 5*, then your car would be the only one I ever heard of, that had no bump-steer.That probably means nothing to you, I know,And, I'd be remiss if I didn't admit that I haven't spent a ton of time under FMJs, but I have spent many,many, hours under A-bodies.
And yes, if the outside rear wheel gets unloaded by a bump or manhole cover,in the midst of a hard fast turn, then yes that wheel will be momentarily unloaded and since it is doing most of the work, back there, it; may/can/or will, skip/slide/or bounce, to the outside of the turn,until the weight settles back down on it;depending on the compliance of that rear suspension.And yes "solid" rear axles do this more often than independent rears.So you have to be alert.
But again, a 'Doba ain't a Sportscar, so,um, why do you want to drive it like one?That car has waaaaaaaaaaaay too much weight on the front end.The overhangs are monstrous.The power is woefully deficient.And it was never designed to go much over 70mph.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Roads in NZ are not like USA free ways, most driving is through windy, twisty roads, come on over and see how we drive down under! To be honest I think you would poo yourself, basically you better do it right cause the other guy will be expecting you to be cutting right down as you cut across the corner!

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Have a look here

and

We have got some of the most amazing drives in the world over here! But you better have you whits about you thats for sure!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Firm Feel has never carried them (that I know of).

There are company’s out there who specialize in drop spindles (or raised spindles for pickups and vans) – but they generally are not forged or heat treated and therefore what I call “soft”.
Useable - but can bend or snap off a lot easier than OEM parts will.

BudW

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Dude, you got bump steer....

Screenshot_20161125-205355.png

Back