Edelbrock throttle adapter questions

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
So I bought a Carter AFB carb and bought the edelbrock adapter to use my existing cables and what not. I notice that with the throttle cable mounted in its original spot, it pulls the throttle back to about the primaries being wide open. Now I noticed that the throttle itself is positioned a little farther forward than the 2 bbl, is there any idea on what I could do to mod the adapter? I was thinking about heating it up and pulling it back some. Any thoughts?

slant6billy

Reaction score
I bought a new throttle cable from Napa for a 4 bbl (Volare Aspen Diplomat). I was running a 750 Edelbrock Performer, till I switch to a Street Avenger Holley. The 4 bbl cable was not that much and took 2 days to get into the store from the warehouse. There is a little slack too. The other thing is where the throttle cable is anchored to the manifold- move it forward by loosening the nut and then retighten it

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure of the exact measurement – but because the throttle shaft is further forward on a 4-bbl, the cable needs to be 1 to 1½” longer.

You might be able to get a 2-bbl cable to work – but I highly suggest YOU DO NOT USE it.

If engine tilts in engine compartment (which it will do – just open hood and power-stall engine in gear and you will see), it will pull on throttle cable into a stuck open position, which = a disaster waiting to happen (the makings of a very bad day).

I have been there, done that and have been very lucky so far (throttle has stuck open on me on two different vehicles attempting to use a 2-bbl cable when I needed a 4-bbl one (so 2 out of 2)). Your mileage may vary.

BudW

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Ok. Cool I'll definitely look into a new cable for a 4 bbl at work today. Thanks for the info guys. I also attached the arm for the cruise control, im assuming just loosen the bracket for that to move it forward?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes.
The official throttle cable adjust procedure.
Throttle Cable Adjustment 1.JPG

Throttle Cable Adjustment 2.JPG

Throttle Cable Adjustment 3.JPG

Throttle Cable Adjustment 4.JPG

The official cruise cable adjustment procedures.
Cruise Adjustment 1.JPG

A closeup of above picture
Cruise closeup 2.JPG
Cruise Adjustment 2.JPG

BudW

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Slant6billy Which size cable did you go with? Because i noticed there were a couple different sizes going from 19.25" to 23.25". I also looked up the cordoba and they even had a 22.75" cable. let me know.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I dug up my Throttle Cable file (attached below).

I’ve always known that 2-bbl and 4-bbl throttle cables were different – by an inch or two. The same should apply to FMJ bodies as well.

My records show a FMJ 318/360 2-bbl cable to be 19.72 inches long.
Records also show FMJ 318/360 4-bbl cable to be 19.75 inches long.
I said that can’t be correct so went and looked in my books and that is what they say.

I don’t know why they would have two different part numbers for “adjustable” cables that are 0.03” different in length – so I think my books have a typo in them (makes no sense to me).

In my garage (somewhere) is a used ’84 Gran Fury 318 4-bbl cable. I’ll try to locate, measure and report back.

My records
Throttle Cable 1.JPG

Throttle Cable 2.JPG

Note: the Pioneer cables listed above are all available as of September 2016.

BudW

Back